The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Too much of a good thing? (Burn-out) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
I have had the good fortune of being able to dive into magic full time
for the past 14 months. Spending 8-10 hours a day practicing, learning,
and performing magic. Once in a while, even spending 12-14 hours
a day. (Like a man possessed.)

For the last couple of weeks, I haven’t felt like touching anything that
has anything to do with Magic.

(It doesn't help that I will be starting a lawsuit against
a magic vendor that owes me over $3,000 in goods.)

For you long term magic fans/pros:

Do you ever get burned out?

What do you do if/when it happens?

Any other comments?

Thanks in advance,
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
You, my friend, need a vacation!

As I was just saying over in this thread, what you're experiencing is normal: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=0#9
In fact, it is somewhat amazing that you haven't hit a wall earlier the way you have apparently been going.

This happens to a lot of people. I would guess that it happens to all the really good ones (and I'm not including myself in that description, of course). Usually it happens to some degree just before you reach a new higher level of magic wisdom, so to speak. A level when you suddenly seem to see things more clearly. You have probably reached some new levels already, so you will know the feeling of how certain old things you used to struggle with suddenly seem easy and logical.

More:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=27

I haven't read these through yet. I found the threads when I was looking for my own from a while back. It was very similar to yours.

Some people take a break by moving into a different field of magic for a while, but in your case I think maybe you need to go cold turkey for a while. During such a time, your hand muscles will heal and rest and your brain will sort away all the chaotic information into neat little compartments. You will be better at magic and reach a higher plateau of understanding.

The big question to me is, will you be able to NOT do magic for at least a couple of weeks?
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Oh, my! Do anything too much and you'll get burned out. I've done magic professionally for over 35 years in one form or another, and I learned how to juggle during one of 'my' burn-out times! Pretty funny really.

Pull back for like a week if you can, and go fishing or something. You'll find that your technique and approach improves by many percentage points! Best,
Brad Burt
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
By all means, take a break!
Wes
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
The Amazing Noobini: Thanks for your words and recommendations.
The links you have provided have some good comments in them as well.

I will be able “not” to do magic for a few weeks. The main reason for the post is that at this moment, I am kinda of feeling like I would never touch magic again.

It is also a bit strange for me as I just finished setting up a room in my house that is dedicated to magic.
==================================================================
Brad Burt: At first when I read “learned how to juggle” in your post, I was expecting your comments on how you learned how to juggle various aspects of your life. But, I laughed out loud when I realized that you really learned juggling.

I’ve just now started doing a music arrangement for piano and violin. Learning a new program, for me, called Sibelius. Hope this takes the place of fishing.
=================================================================
Wes: Take a break it is. I was just concerned that I might not come back.
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3641 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
We all come back - it's an addiction.

Jim
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
I would add that this happens with any creative medium.
Sometimes you just have to let things percolate.
So sorry I soiled your precious eyes.
tom_stamm
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of tom_stamm
You might try the cousin arts: juggling, origami, unicycle riding (I could never do that).
Just Some Guy.

"For Seven Tons of the King's Tea,
Six Fine Ladies to Fight a Great Jackass -- me."
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Quote:
On 2008-07-22 18:10, tom_stamm wrote:
You might try the cousin arts: juggling, origami, unicycle riding (I could never do that).

I know several who jump back and forth between magic and music.
Wes
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Even Bill Palmer had to spend some time playing the banjo and harpsichord. Take a break, your magic will come back better for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if your music incorporates something from magic. Photography and poetry fit in as well. It's all about contrast (light and dark, sound and silence).
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
kosmoshiva
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
255 Posts

Profile of kosmoshiva
"Specialization is for insects." - Robert Heinlein
;)
Don't forget to breathe.
tomterm8
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of tomterm8
Heh, I'm investigating magic because I'm burnt out in Drawing. Smile

Magic will still be here when you come back to it. Take a break. Go out with your family. Smile
state
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of state
I keep coming to this site out of habit. I've been doing magic on and off since I was a kid. Currently, I haven't done a single magic trick for at least 4 months. There was a time when I didn't do it for almost 3 years.

What do I do during this time?

I eat.
I drink.
I sleep.
I work on my car.
I go fishing.
I have more sex.
I enjoy having money that I would normally blow on magic crap.
I enjoy the time I spend not thinking about magic.

Then one day I get inspired to do a trick, and it's all downhill from there.
It's like starting a new hobby, but without having to go through the beginner phase.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I don't think you can really unbecome (if there is such a word) a magician.
Just relax about it. You don't have to be the best, and you don't have to know everything. If you aren't enjoying it, then try to find out why. If it is only because you have been pushing yourself too hard, then stop doing that.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Mr. Ree, if you are worried that you may not come back to magic after taking a rest, don't worry about it. You will make a come back. Magic is in our blood, and it never goes away.

Take your stride in your magic activities. It could be stress management that may be needed - if you are not enjoying magic. You may be taking your activities too seriously, and you may be expecting too much for your results - pushing yourself too hard. Instead of enjoying magic, we can easily move ourselves to being too mechanically minded and too goal oriented and keep pushing ourselves to get the results we want - not realising that stress creeps into our lives and eventually we get burn-out. Disappointments burn us out even faster.

It helps to unwind with other activities. Take a rest first, then reflect back on what it is that made you enjoyed magic in the first place. Change the way you conduct your activities, pace yourself and, most importantly, enjoy yourself in the process.

I believe what you are experiencing is not physical but mental burn-out. Take time out, relax and re-align your attitudes towards your goals. Above all, enjoy what you are doing.

Just my two cents, and hope it helps.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
That's great advice, James!
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, agent61, aka James Abbott.

We all go through similar experiences, too. Glad to be of help.
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Thanks for the kind, informative, as well as humorous comments.
It does seem to be quite an addiction.

This is probably more detail than needed but that’s my nature.

James, you hit many things directly on the head. This all became very serious very quickly. It is very much mental burn-out.

===== Here’s what I was doing when I got toasted ==================

1. Can’t figure out who to perform for, and what performances to turn down.

Because I has getting very good “reviews” from the shows I was doing.
I started getting pressure to do more and more performing with less notice.

It ranged from Birthday parties, which I don’t know how to politely turn down.
To interest from active senior centers and various non-profit organizations.. Friends started talking to me about “providing a night of entertainment.” Of course
they would pay me. I had to start figuring out if there would be one fee, different types of fees, or in special situations, no fee

(I was having a hard time figuring out what I really wanted to do and what was better
to turn down.)

2. Need to have more routines. (Lots of pressure to surpass what I have already done.)

I didn’t want to keep repeating the same 30 - 35 minute show. (It’s a very small
community.) So I started working on a set of routines, many of mine own creation, for a short 15 minute show that was in large part “theatre”. This involved not only the magic routines, music, lighting and writing a fairly detailed script.

I though I might be better served by performing at a couple of local restaurants This really involved a lot of convincing on my part and trust on the part of the restaurant owners. (This is on hold for the time being.)

I think part of the fear is that every “hobby” or “serious interest” I have as changed
into a business. I don’t mean to complain as I have also done very well financially
with these hobbies changed business. But I usually end up working 80 hours a week
or more.

There is also the fear that if I don’t treat this seriously I will not be taken seriously.
There are a few hobbyist in the area that are not taken very seriously.

I have kind of put everything on hold for now, magic wise, until I sort this out.

JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Have some fun first, Mr. Ree, while you are sorting things out. Things will fall into place, answers will pop up, and sometimes situations can be indicators of the directions you want.
Justin Impossible
View Profile
Veteran user
Distant Land Of Shmooo
328 Posts

Profile of Justin Impossible
Mr. Ree,

I am going to add two points too this discussion. One James hit as you have to have fun! In my new book, Alex (main character) is discouraged because he keeps messing up his trick. He feels clumsy and inept. His grandpa tells him that every skilled magician goes through the same thing – and to not to give up. The book reminds us that whether it is music, art, athletics or any other worthwhile endeavor, if you want to be great, then don’t just put in time that is available, make time available. He reminds Alex that if he puts in the time and dedicates himself to his dream, he will eventually succeed – and Alex does.  And finally the most important element of success in any endeavor, taught by Alex’s old mentor, Raven, as he recites the elemental rules of powerful magic. Step one – Have Fun!”

Second aspect is find one trick that you truly love, maybe something that you haven't tried or even know how to do. You see the trick and your mouth just hits the floor as you wonder the mystery behind this amazing effect. Pick this trick up and you will want to practice. You will be so excited that you will begin to incorporate all of your effects around a central theme. You will have a routine and you will be excited to perform your new founded abilities!

I believe you can get burned out at whatever job you have. The most important aspect is to make it fun, somehow, and you will survive! Wish you the best and I think you need to read The Amazing Alexander! I think Kevin told me this specifically for you!

“The Amazing Alexander reawakens our passion for the art of magic and that precious sense of wonder we magicians strive to rekindle in our audiences. I will mail this lovely book to all the youngsters in my life!”

-Kevin James, Comedy Illusionist

Justin Impossible
www.justinimpossible.com
www.facebook.com/magicianjustinimpossible

A pretty assistant is the most effective form of misdirection.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Too much of a good thing? (Burn-out) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL