The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » My Dove Has laid eggs- 2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

paradize
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
398 Posts

Profile of paradize
Hi Dove Lovers,

I have a male and female dove in a cage. The female laid her eggs first time in pair and broke it. The male was seen sitting on the eggs before the egg breaking ceremony. ahaha- 1st Clutch.
Now she has laid eggs again on the cage floor. - 2nd Clutch.
I built a nest box and put shredded paper in it, and put the 2 eggs in it.
I carried the female dove and put her inside the nest box. She sat there for a while and after an hour came down and sit in her normal place where she laid the eggs.cage extreme ground floor.

I have parrots and didn't had any problems making the parents tune to the nest box and sitting on egg process. Any advise from you guys?
Magic is the residue of pre-design fantasies.
Come into my Fantasy www.chandranmagic.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5039 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
It sometimes takes a few clutches for the doves to get the idea of what to do. Moving the eggs really isn't a good idea. If you want to raise the doves, keep the nest in the cage. They'll get the idea and lay the eggs in the nest.
Where the magic begins
paradize
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
398 Posts

Profile of paradize
Thanks Dave BUT, I put a round container in the cage bottom.
So far no progress of the doves going in. Mmmm...The female has start to pluck newspaper and put it under its body and sit in the cage bottom but not in the container which has her 2 eggs.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5039 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
She most likely will not move to the eggs. You created a nest. (what did you use as nesting material?)Then you moved the eggs. If the parents aren't sitting on them most of the time, they most likely are not going to hatch. Carefully pick up one of the eggs. If it is warm, then you have a chance but if it is cold, they will not hatch. Remove the eggs and clean the nest putting in new material. If she's looking to lay another clutch, she will get the idea to sit in the nest.

You mentioned newspaper. I hope you don't have your cage bottom lined with newspapers. The ink will come off onto your doves and they will begin to look very dirty. You should use white or brown kraft/butcher paper. Paper towels will also work. Or you can use nothing. It just takes a little more time to clean up.
Where the magic begins
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
773 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Paper towels??? I never thought of that, I've been using butcher paper but paper towels is a nice substitute....thanks for sharing Dave.

Junior
J Rodriguez
paradize
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
398 Posts

Profile of paradize
I bought some packed coconut husk designed for nesting from a local bird shop and have put the eggs on top of the husk, which are all in a container.
The male has pushed one egg of the container and **** on it.Oh My.
Then he sits on the another egg which is in the container. The female is sitting at the bottom of the cage most of the time.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1732 Posts

Profile of wally
I have 2 doves, this year I must have had about 20 eggs from them, is this natural.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5039 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Wally, yes this is a normal function. Younger doves lay eggs more frequently. Actually, 20 isn't a very large number at all. If you are destroying the eggs, they will lay more quickly than if you let them hatch.
Where the magic begins
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5039 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Paradize, do you have a watch? If not you can tell the time twice a day just by watching your doves. The male will sit on the eggs from 10AM to 4 PM and then the female will sit on them from 4 until 10 AM. You can set your watch by it. Somehow they know what time it is.
Where the magic begins
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
True Chan! Its time organized parenting! Super awesome...Anyways, don't forget about the Toucan!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » My Dove Has laid eggs- 2 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL