The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Cruise Ships & Kid Shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Just curious...do any cruise ships hire children's entertainers?

Gerry
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Watch "America's Got Talent" tonight. On it will be a ventriloquist named Michael Harrison, who worked his family-style show for many years on cruise ships, for a several different lines. Disney, etc.

I think the better approach is to market to certain lines as a kids / family entertainer, rather than as a kids entertainer.

- Donald

P.S. Note - I have not worked cruise ships myself.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Before Disney started their own cruise line, they had an arrangement with Premier Cruise Lines which called their ships "The Big Red Boat". They hired family entertainers that did a lot of children's magic. (I had two friends who worked for Premier.)

I would assume Disney still has family performers that do both family shows and kids' shows. Donald is correct that it would be preferable to be a family entertainer that performs for kids rather than strictly a kids' show magician.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Yes, Disney has a "family" show & an "adult" show which is not very adult (rated "G"). Performers are required to have two different acts to meet the circumstances.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Knight Magic
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
53 Posts

Profile of Knight Magic
We've worked on several different cruise lines (we're actually in the middle of the Pacific right now!) and our odds of getting work on a cruise line are diminished if you limit yourself to just being a children's entertainer. The larger the demographic you cater to the more venues you can work. Your best bet might be Disney, but like Greg said you'll have to do an adult show as well. Good luck - Kyle
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Thanks guys.

You answered my question.

Gerry
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I've not worked for P&O for about 4 years or so but the last time I did work on one of their ships they had a childrens entertainer on board that just did shows for the kids. I remember the guy telling me that he had to have a lot of material as he was required to do a lot of shows. (I can't recall the exact number but believe it may have been in the order of 6x45min shows)

P&O is a British based cruise company that's been around for many years and it caters almost exclusively for a British clientele.

I think the childrens entertainers are booked through one or two specific agencies.

Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Cruise Ships & Kid Shows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL