The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » "Not To Do's" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
At times a busker might do something they are thinking will work out good, but comes out bad. What are the biggest "Not To Do's" for a busker?
Wayne Whiting
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Wayne Whiting
Being rude and obnoxious will bring the heat on you from business owners or the authorities if someone complains.

You might think you have spotted a good pitch, but after drawing a crowd the police might think you are blocking pedestrian traffic and causing a hazard to pedestrian safety. In the same light, if your crowd is too big and blocks the entrance to a business, this is also going to cause problems.

There are some tricks out there with patter that could be sexually offensive to a woman. If she complains, you're in trouble.
Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Thomas Edison

www.terrylagerold.com
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1074 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Dynamike, greetings; I know you´ll probably read this as a bit of a cop-out,.. but,... The ONLY `definate´ is: Do what YOU find to be right. For every `golden rule´ you are going to hear here; I´m SURE someone did something totally the opposite! AND done with conviction and belief: WERE SUCCESSFUL!

This two MOST difficult things; not only in performing, but `in Life in general´; are: Finding what YOU believe in/correct. And secondly: Having the balls to stand by it/go for pulling it thru.

Good luck man. ,hey I really like your `studious ways´! You´re really reshearching this thing! I think this is REALLY great,... it´ll help a lot. (but), the germans have a little saying, "Probieren geht über Studierern." (`Doing´, is better then `Studying´.),... hey, this is no critique, but there is a bit of truth herein.

,....man, that the soapbox held me SOOO long!,... without my socks `color changing´!!
all the best,
gallagher
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
I think Mr. Whiting hit on a very important part of busking.
Watch your crowd.
Make sure they aren't causing problems in terms of pedestrian traffic.
I was killing last Saturday, but due to my failure to control the crowd, I got shut down.
I got it worked out with the powers that be, so it shouldn't be a problem in the future.
But still, I know I lost out on some action.
I will definitely be watching very closely from now on.
Making sure your material is appropriate for "all ages" is a really good idea as well.
So sorry I soiled your precious eyes.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
There was a very usefull book on the do do and don't do of street performing ( yes, Busking not the Blaine style) out by Dr. Rubenstein. This is a very overlooked gem that I believe is now OOP. Wish I hadn't sold my copy but I read it so many times the content is firmly wedged in my memory.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » "Not To Do's" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL