We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » It's not about me... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MAGICofSeth
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of MAGICofSeth
How about a new thread for us to have fun with?

I have been changing the suggestions in my show to be more about the subjects and the audience instead of about me constantly directing the action. Such as-

Instead of: Anytime that I touch you (or raise my hands, etc...)
To: Whenever you shake hands with someone in the audience OR whenever this person in the audience sneezes...

What has ended up happening is I actually sit back and let things play out. What gave me the idea was when I do the "Alien and Translator" bit. EVERY time I do this, the Alien and the Translator end up having their own conversation in Alienese for a while, and I just watch them go!

Does anybody else find that this works better, worse, no different???

I also saw a hypnotist perform recently and it really repulsed me. The show was basically all about him and how he could make anybody do anything, and he NEVER stopped talking. I understand about reinforcing suggestions, etc. but good grief! This guy was non-stop chatter. I want to distance myself from that and keep my shows about the subjects and audience.

Any ideas for doing that?

Thank you all very much!
--Seth
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I agree. Really you are a faciltator rather than a performer. When youve been doing it for a while you start to realise that the real skill is opening up the volunteers in such a way that they become creative. You sort of tap into a partof them and release it.

Also I think the best shows are where you set up scenes and have the courage to stand back and let hem develop with minimal promting.

9 times out of 10 a hypnotist will move on to the next sketch before it has time to develop.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5725 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I've been going this way in restructuring my Shows...

When you make the Audience member the "star" of the Show, it always get great responses from the audience, in my experience...

Hypnotism should focus on this more than any other Art Form...

Any more experiences anyone?

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I have been including a bit in my shows in which I go out into the audience and ask for ideas. I have rules - the ideas have to have some thought behind them. A suggestion such as make them suck on a banana is obviously out.
I feel it is a bit like an improv comedy show. I try to flesh out the ideas, then let the subjects run with them. At a recent show (third time in a year at the same college) I threw half of the show open to the floor, and it was a lovely, lively, funny experience. It's one way of freshening up your act.
asithlord
View Profile
New user
johnathan townsends daily hobbie is
98 Posts

Profile of asithlord
I sometimes open up for audience suggestions, it can work well if you choose carefully and its also a good idea to "suggest" a person come up and be the hypnotist - you give them a step by step guide and let them try it.
obviously they aint the hypnotist but they believe it and so does the subject.
I find leaving in a suggestion and moving on so that the said suggestion will develope later on in the show during other tasks, where the audience has almost forgot that was still in, it works as a surprise.
also use the audience to trigger stuff too like
during ballroom dancing: feel a massive "wedgie" when ever audience whistle ect
cheers
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20972 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I changed my entire show 10 years ago to reflect this idea.

I have seen WAY too many hypnotists who constantly stand in front of the volunteers! Blocking the view because they think the show is about THEM and not the people with them. I stand off to the sides, and often leave the stage during things like movies. You are not the center of this show. They want to watch uncle Fred. I can't tell you how many times I have seen audiences in shows have to crane their necks to look around the hypnotist who is chattering away with some nonsense to see their relative.

In fact after the opening lecture, and you have people seated in chairs this show is most certainly NOT ABOUT YOU. And the fun part about it is that once the people are sent back to their seats and everyone is leaving, YOU get the credit.

By the way this is a lot easier to do if you remove the eyes closed suggestions from your show.

Another thing you want to learn to do is to hide suggestions in sentences in which you are talking to the audience. It makes it look more like the show is more "happening" than being directed.

I mean if you are constantly touching them and they do something, why bother with trance? It may as well be an improv comedy show. The difference to the audience is tremendous.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Also I discovered early on to stand behind the seats not in front. And it does take a little nerve to allow each sketch to develop and grow by itself. Sometimes they can be slow to develop but once they do you can sometimes have a full show on just a couple of sketches. That are so funny you don't want to move on from it - it keeps develpoing by itself.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20972 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It takes guts is right. It can mean that things fall a lot flatter or develop a LOT more than you think. It is a very tough way to run the show Punisher you are right.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I see the logic behind this but isn't it safer to be closer to the front of the stage (to the side of the chairs etc)? I mean if something went bad or an abreaction etc being behind them would not be advantageous it would seem.

Respectively submitted,

Candin
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20972 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nobody I have ever heard of has had an 'abreaction' (a term which by the way has fallen out of favor) from watching a funny movie.

The reactions you are speaking of do not sneak up on you, they are a process. Learn to identify the process. Don't do "regressions" and such and you can go for 20 years and never see one live.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2009-05-25 13:28, Candin wrote:
I see the logic behind this but isn't it safer to be closer to the front of the stage (to the side of the chairs etc)? I mean if something went bad or an abreaction etc being behind them would not be advantageous it would seem.

Respectively submitted,

Candin

In front or behind makes no difference you need to develop good peripheral vision and sense to have a grasp on everything that's going on. I would stand behind the chairs while doing close up work giving initial suggestions etc.

I wouldn't stand behind the chairs for the whole show.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » It's not about me... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL