The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Learning cups and balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nicholas Spade
View Profile
Regular user
Cincinnati Ohio
123 Posts

Profile of Nicholas Spade
I just love dai vernons cups and balls routine.
I have no experience with cups and balls.
So it would be great if any one could tell me, what cups and balls I need, and what learning materials to get
Thanks?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Any decent metal set will do. I recommend that you get the Michael Ammar DVD's. If you can find a copy of the Michael Ammar book, The Complete Cups and Balls, that will help immensely.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Nicholas Spade
View Profile
Regular user
Cincinnati Ohio
123 Posts

Profile of Nicholas Spade
Quote:
On 2008-07-27 14:52, Bill Palmer wrote:
Any decent metal set will do. I recommend that you get the Michael Ammar DVD's. If you can find a copy of the Michael Ammar book, The Complete Cups and Balls, that will help immensely.

Thank you very much
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Just a second for Bill's suggestion of the Ammar material. The dvd's are invaluable, and the book is one of the easiest magic books to learn from ever written. Plenty of very clearly written direction and good photos. I wish more books were written like this.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have been visiting with Michael over the past few days. He has been giving very generously of his time to new magicians as well as new manufacturers. What a guy!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I am kind of new with C&B as well, so here is a list of stuff I have on C&B.

Micheal Ammars DVDs, the most amount of information on how to handle the cups, balls, and wand. Shows different routines with different cups.

Cups & Balls by Bob White who is pretty good

Royal Magic: 25 Amazing Magic Tricks with C&B, this DVD goes through different routines rather quickly with little dialog which is what I liked about it.

Several Gazzo DVDs on C&B, this is guy is fantastic to watch.

A couple booklets from RNT-2 that were fun to learn, and one of them is a routine for mini-cups which is now my favorite routine.

Micheal Ammars DVDs is probably the best way to go since it has the most information on C&B.

BTW, I am deaf and cannot hear a word any of these DVDs are saying and none of them have Closed-Captioning or Subtitles, therefore I do not have a clue as to what is being said. The GOOD NEWS is that a new DVD was sent out today that is supposed to include Closed-Captioning and I cannot wait to see it. It is called "Got A Light" check it out!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I also suggest the cups & balls DVD from http://www.stevensmagic.com This gives you a few different options to the Vernon way.

Posted: Aug 1, 2008 12:12pm
And... you might want to NOT study anyone else and spend some time working out ideas of your own.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
Al Schneider and Tommy Wonder. This has been discussed a lot here. More detailed discussions of what those two, Ammar and Bob White teach are detailed in other threads.

I just looked at Ammar's site to buy some fab fruit for my cups and balls. Back-ordered! Smile
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:
On 2008-08-01 10:15, madkiki wrote:
I am kind of new with C&B as well, so here is a list of stuff I have on C&B.

Micheal Ammars DVDs, the most amount of information on how to handle the cups, balls, and wand. Shows different routines with different cups.

Cups & Balls by Bob White who is pretty good

Royal Magic: 25 Amazing Magic Tricks with C&B, this DVD goes through different routines rather quickly with little dialog which is what I liked about it.

Several Gazzo DVDs on C&B, this is guy is fantastic to watch.

A couple booklets from RNT-2 that were fun to learn, and one of them is a routine for mini-cups which is now my favorite routine.

Micheal Ammars DVDs is probably the best way to go since it has the most information on C&B.

BTW, I am deaf and cannot hear a word any of these DVDs are saying and none of them have Closed-Captioning or Subtitles, therefore I do not have a clue as to what is being said. The GOOD NEWS is that a new DVD was sent out today that is supposed to include Closed-Captioning and I cannot wait to see it. It is called "Got A Light" check it out!
Hi Madkiki; it's interesting about your lack of hearing. We have a member of our Magic Club in the Quad Cities by name of "Rick Rowray" who is totally deaf. He's been written up years ago in a book entitled "Silent Magic". & is a top-notch pro! He recently took 1st place in our close-up contest. S.R.

Quote:
On 2008-07-27 14:26, Nicholas Spade wrote:
I just love dai vernons cups and balls routine.
I have no experience with cups and balls.
So it would be great if any one could tell me, what cups and balls I need, and what learning materials to get
Thanks?
Nicholas, any set is a good start to begin practicing; some magicians even use teacups, coffe mugs, clear glasses wrapped in news-paper, etc. I have several sets of cups now, but have recently bought 3 of the Adams Magic plastic cups for about $4.00 each and divided them into "same color" categories so as to get a full set of red ones like Bill Malone uses for his "Rub-A-dub-dub Cups & Balls" trick on his DVD "Here I Go Again" Vol.: 1. I find that getting the experience is just as important as the cups I use. However, that being said, if you can, scrape up the cash to buy a good set. S.R.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
I am a relatively recent convert to cups and balls, having performed a short chop cup routine for a while. I decided to commit to spending the time learning & practicing C&B, because as Café members pointed out on another thread, if you know C&B, then you can improvise & perform nearly anywhere.
I am yet another who would vouch for the excellent Ammar DVDs, which I use for reference when I need to really check a move in detail. I did find inspiration for the routine I am building in Carl Andrews table hopping cups and balls (good DVD, but not a patch on Ammar for quality and clarity of instruction), and David Williamson's excellent C&B routine ('Slight of Dave' I think).
I am not performing C&B yet, but am enjoying the practice trying to get my routine spot on. Good luck!
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
Quote:
On 2008-08-01 12:11, Pete Biro wrote:
I also suggest the cups & balls dvd from http://www.stevensmagic.com This gives you a few different options to the Vernon way.

Which, BTW, they are selling for $12.50 free ground shipping. I think that's quite a deal.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Michael Vincent has been working on a new DVD for a couple of years. I got a copy in today's mail. I'll review it here very soon.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Rafael Benatar has a good one too.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
The original poster on this thread is brand new to C&B. For complete beginners this, I don't think any instructional material comes close to Michael Ammar's DVD set "The Complete Cups & Balls" and the book of the same name.

Fortasse
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I agree; however, Michael Vincent's new DVD may be a really good "next" DVD, or perhaps even a good basic DVD. It's called "Cups and Balls -- Evolution of a Classic."

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 1:09pm
I just posted a review of Michael Vincent's latest DVD, "The Cups and Balls -- Evolution of a Classic" here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=111&0

I would say it is a great second or third DVD to have in order to understand how to work out your own routine based on information you have previously learned. There is a lot of teaching on it, as far as the details of how certain sleights should be performed, but you really should know your sleights before you get these DVD's. It's a two DVD set.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-08-01 12:12, Pete Biro wrote:
And... you might want to NOT study anyone else and spend some time working out ideas of your own.

True that! I am still unlearning all the stuff I learned in order to make the cups and balls my own. If you start with the very most basic concepts of the C&Bs -"One Ahead" and "Final Load When They're Not Looking", you can go quite far without any guidance at all.

I realize this is a very ambitious proposal for a complete novice....
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Thanks for your review, Bill. This is very helpful. I'll be sure to order a DVD set soonest.

Fortasse
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Learning cups and balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL