The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Brass Hot Rod Resetting (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mysticman319
View Profile
New user
Honey Brook PA
16 Posts

Profile of Mysticman319
Wow it has been quite a few years since I've been here at the Café! I remember when we only had a couple hundred members or so if that many, although I am glad to see that a lot of the "regulars" are still hanging around. I forgot how much I missed this place.....

OK so getting down to the point.

Following a recent performance, my "wonderful" spectators took it upon themselves to hold my brass hot rod hostage until they figured it out. This isn't a new situation yet, so I decided to give them a few minutes of spinning and shaking before I planned to move on. I could sense they had given up hope, when they gave it a very hard shake and reset the rod themselves. Since that point on, a slight flick of the wrist will reset the rod. The question that I pose to you good people is, who has dealt with this situation, and how can I correct it? I don't mind having it be able to reset in my hands, but the problem is being this easy to reset is going to limit the handing out for examination. If you don't want to discuss how you've corrected the problem in the open forum, please feel free to PM me, or shoot me an e-mail
Thanks

Jason
The artist formally known as Magicman0323
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I strongly suggest that you stop making it a puzzle. I usually do a flipstick move and just vanish it after the performance. Giving in to the "let me see that" deal is just asking for trouble.
Or, after allowing them to have a brief inspection, then take it back and tell them that you can do another trick with the stick.
If the spectators are emulating some move that you do, or have the idea that something slides, then something in your performance is tipping the method.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
There seem to be two questions here, and I don't know which one you are looking to be answered. One seems to be Audience management, and the other seems to be asking, "How do I fix the hot rod, so it doesn't reset as easily?"

Am I reading your post correctly?

RevJohn
Mysticman319
View Profile
New user
Honey Brook PA
16 Posts

Profile of Mysticman319
Thanks for the idea. It isn't so much of them emulating a move that I do, as I don't flick/shake the rod at all. They took the rod, refused to give it back, and pretty much beat the crap out of it, until it reset...

I have done the flipstick, and I've also done a cigarette vanish to get rid of the rod. I'm considering buying a second rod and ensuring that it will never color change from the last color again. Then I can vanish the color changing one, and produce the other. I'm not 100% sure yet. I would really like to get this thing back to being able to be examined though.
Mysticman319
View Profile
New user
Honey Brook PA
16 Posts

Profile of Mysticman319
RevJohn,

The question is 2 fold, the first being How can I fix it? The second part of the question is, has anyone had the brass "locking" hot rod do this?

Thanks
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Most of them, because they are brass, loosen up. Just the nature of a compression fitting. The novelty of the brass version and the repeat feature was really against the notion that we do not repeat an effect. That's why I always liked the quick put-away, switch hot rod for an ungimicked, rather than a repeat of the effect.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
ByranNewell
View Profile
New user
Huntington Beach, CA
29 Posts

Profile of ByranNewell
You can get the magical hot rod to stay in a bit by putting a small amount of scotch tape on the inner rod at the top. Couple caveats, though- 1) It's gonna get gummed up by repeated use, and will no longer work properly as an inspectable item. 2) You're gonna need a new magical hot rod if you want consistency.

When I used to work at a magic store, we originally used to hand the MHR out to spectators, thinking that the secret would defy their logic. It did most of the time, but the trick's secret was it biggest problem: What does it matter what one does to a solid piece of brass? Conventional wisdom says that you can't screw up brass. This thought process resulted in many dropped and solved MHR's. Needless to say, we adopted a "pass out quickly" rule, that abated most (but not all) blunders.

Earlier suggestions of a vanish would probably be your best bet- taped old rod, or new fresh one.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Well said. As far as the finish..I would do a transition. Perhaps vanish the rod with a pencil pull and introduce a brass okito box in its place. Maybe make up a "gemsational" to match the brass.
Mysticman319
View Profile
New user
Honey Brook PA
16 Posts

Profile of Mysticman319
Thanks for the tips fellas! It's appreciated!
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
One more reason to never hand out your props, inspectable or not!
sanman
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of sanman
After 20 performances or so I place my brass hotrod in my vise (with insert) and give it a little pressure. This will tighten things up. Not too much, just a little pressure.

Quote:
On 2008-07-28 09:50, Mysticman319 wrote:
Wow it has been quite a few years since I've been here at the Café! I remember when we only had a couple hundred members or so if that many, although I am glad to see that a lot of the "regulars" are still hanging around. I forgot how much I missed this place.....

OK so getting down to the point.

Following a recent performance, my "wonderful" spectators took it upon themselves to hold my brass hot rod hostage until they figured it out. This isn't a new situation yet, so I decided to give them a few minutes of spinning and shaking before I planned to move on. I could sense they had given up hope, when they gave it a very hard shake and reset the rod themselves. Since that point on, a slight flick of the wrist will reset the rod. The question that I pose to you good people is, who has dealt with this situation, and how can I correct it? I don't mind having it be able to reset in my hands, but the problem is being this easy to reset is going to limit the handing out for examination. If you don't want to discuss how you've corrected the problem in the open forum, please feel free to PM me, or shoot me an e-mail
Thanks

Jason
The artist formally known as Magicman0323
Mysticman319
View Profile
New user
Honey Brook PA
16 Posts

Profile of Mysticman319
Thanks Sanman, I'll give it a shot!
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
I have a brass Hot Rod and a T-6 Hot Rod; which is the lightweight aluminum version of the brass one. ...Same gimmick. The aluminum one is designed to reset with a tap. The brass one generally requires a bang "ring"-type apparatus.

I hardly ever use either. When I do, I prefer the aluminum one because it's lighter and doesn't need constant cleaning to maintain its luster. Generally, I perform a standard Hot Rod routine using a Precision Magic Hot Rod. Occasionally I'll hand it out. Usually, I don't. And most often, I'm not even asked to allow inspection. I vanish it or move on to another effect, placing the rod in my pocket.

My advice to you: Don't hand it out. Vanish it or develop a routine that moves into another effect that not only passes over opportunities to inspect the prop, but causes the spectator(s) to forget all about their curiosity with that effect.
The only other piece of advice I can offer is to learn some better crowd management. If this is the same group of people, (friends, co-workers, family), that are inspecting your props to the point of discovery and/or breakage then you should refuse to perform for them until their behavior improves.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Brass Hot Rod Resetting (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL