The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Professional Magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bubbleburst2004
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of bubbleburst2004
Interesting point about the "full timer but with a working wife. "

I guess every scenario is different but that situation does give the performer going full time a certain backup and a fall back position if things don't work out. This confidence perhaps gives them more latitude for risk in marketing, promotion etc and an edge over performers who are the sole bread winners
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7405 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
If your wife doesn't want to work in your business, but wants to pursue another career field, is that wrong?

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
bubbleburst2004
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of bubbleburst2004
Of course not.

But

Maybe it's a sign you married the wrong person

Maybe it's a sign you married the right person.

Loves funny like that Smile
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Full time here!

Bond James Bond
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Quote:
On 2008-07-30 20:17, bubbleburst2004 wrote:
Interesting point about the "full timer but with a working wife. "

I guess every scenario is different but that situation does give the performer going full time a certain backup and a fall back position if things don't work out. This confidence perhaps gives them more latitude for risk in marketing, promotion etc and an edge over performers who are the sole bread winners

Its no different than the edge any two income family has over a single income family. If something happens to one wage earner, you may still be able to float a while before you sink - but people become accustom to an income level.

John's (Creative Coach) definition of full time presents the hint that some feel the performer should be the sole bread winner or they are somehow less. That is simply out-dated thinking.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Besides my investments, magic has been my full time living since I was 17 ish.....

Only one job in High school, ever since I left that job it has been hocus pocus for over 10 years....

I have no spouse as a back up or supporter.....
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
700 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
I am a full-timer or is that lifer? I have never done anything else...
Creative Coach
View Profile
Loyal user
Anderson, SC
294 Posts

Profile of Creative Coach
Tom,
A working spouse is fine. Some people need two incomes to make ends meet. Some spouses don't want to work the business.

Being a fulltimer isn't for everyone. As you know it can have it's ups and downs. Truthfully my wife works harder than I do! She handles marketing, layout & design as well as speaks professionally. Two years ago I had a bad bout of congestive heart failure and she has stepped right into my place as I recover. We would have had a bigger financial disaster had she not had a working knowledge of the business.

I did not mean one person was the sole breadwinner. I simply meant that the household income was primarily derived from presenting/performing.

I've met and coached several part-timers that had the skill set to go fulltime but had circumstances that prohibited them from going fulltime. But they had a fulltimers professional attitude!

Again going fulltime involves risk but the reward to me is the freedom and fun you receive. Entrepreneurship isn't for everyone! Thank goodness!
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
I've never had a real job. Full timer here. I can't imagine doing anything else.

regards,
Matt Wayne
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
I've never had a real job. Full timer here. I can't imagine doing anything else.

regards,
Matt Wayne
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
John,
Please note I said "some".
Quote:
Marty Hahne said this at a convention one time and it shocked the audience as most thought the entertainer was the sole breadwinner.

I simply meant to point out that their attitude was a bit out-dated. Didn't mean to imply yours was.

I got married in 1991 and my wife was my business partner for 14 years before she decided she wanted to try her own thing. As you stated, it can be tough, it can also be very rewarding, but it is definitely not for everyone.

You are lucky to have someone that could step in and keep your business running when you were having problems. I hope all is well now and that you continue in good health!

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7405 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Just a (controversial) question.

Is it the position that the FT entertainer should be the primary bread winner, or that the capable and healthy husband should be the primary bread winner (assuming that most magicians / FT entertainers are males)?

Some have beliefs about that, too, that shape their expectations.

I think it comes down to what the married couple agrees to, and not what we expect of others.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Quote:
On 2008-08-01 00:32, Donald Dunphy wrote:
I think it comes down to what the married couple agrees to, and not what we expect of others.

Well said Donald.

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1813 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I have made a minimum of 75% of my income from performing magic since 1986. I have held some part-time jobs along the way, as long as they were flexible enough to allow me to perform whenever a show is booked. That is still my current position. I work 10 hours a week for a friend because I can come and go as I need. If I get a booking for this afternoon but I'm scheduled to work for my friend, I give him a call and I let him know I won't be in. It's the only way I would be able to work a "regular" job.

I also do freelance photography but that's because I love photography (I've been a photographer nearly as long as I have been a magician.) The freelance work pays for the gear I buy.

So, I'll leave it to you to decide how valid my posts are. I've been performing professionally for 22 years. I was a booking agent (part-time) for 2.5 years. I worked as a featured performer for Carnival Cruise Lines in 1991 and 1992 and magic is what feeds my family and pays my bills, including health insurance!

Michael

P.S. My wife hasn't had a full-time job in 7 years.
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
Great posts Donald and Michael!

Would anyone here say Harlan Tarbell doesn't have street cred among us as a professional magician?

Yet he spent many years doing graphic design as well as lots of other things to generate income.

-- Are you doing what you love?

-- Are you providing great value to your customers?

-- Do you take what you do seriously as both a business and a performance art?

-- Do you manage to get that message out to the market so people seek you out to make their lives better?

-- Do you perform for pay regularly?

Evidence is beginning to mount in my book.

--Jack
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
Creative Coach
View Profile
Loyal user
Anderson, SC
294 Posts

Profile of Creative Coach
Jack,
Well said!

Just this year my path was turned from speaking/presenting to school children. After 30+ yrs those days are over but other things open up. Does that make me less of an authority on speaking to children? No! Now I just enjoy giving my friends and clients ideas and watching their successes! Do I miss not being the school show presenter? You bet!

Michael,
Try this one on for size: Your "excellent" health insurance cancels in the middle of a 21 day stay in intensive care leaving you owing $16,000 out of your pocket! Next comes the inability to get anyone to write you a policy no matter what you can pay. How about a pacemaker implant that costs $141,000 that wipes out your life savings and then some? I found you have health insurance UNTIL you need it! (at least that has been my experience)

All The Best!
John Cooper
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
John,
That's rough. Health insurance is usually a problem for full time performers. I can't even begin to count the number of my friends that don't have any! When working renfests, one of the first questions they asked when they hit a new town was "where is the closest Health Department or Mission of Mercy?"

I'm willing to bet that topic is on the forum somewhere. If not, you should consider starting a thread. Your input there would certainly be valuable to others who "think" they are covered.

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Quote:
On 2008-07-28 21:12, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
I'd like to see what percentage of the advice posted here is from practical experience rather than theoretical.

The question implies "FT Magician", however, experience as a "FT Magician" should not be a sole criteria related to advice.

I was shocked when my theater professor tore me apart when I said I was a magician. In theater a magician is character, one of many performers and not necessary the central character. Entertainers of "one" cannot compete with a full stage production for the most part. (Yes there are exceptions)

How does this relate to the question? A "FT/PT magician" is limited in experience of a "one-man-show".

Right now I am a PT magician because of my health. FT would probably put me in the grave a lot faster. What I have in my back pocket is a Full Time Leadership experience, Full Time Corporate executive, which helps me in marketing, advertising, and selling myself (leadership abilities), far beyond these gurus who focus on the "Secrets to Success" for magicians.

Having failed at two corporations, (mistakes in understanding the corporate world marketing strategies) I've had great success in the third Corporation for 20 years, I can say with certainty FT Magician advice MAY not be the BEST advise because there are numerous factors one must evaluate before accepting that advice. A Children's Magician may not have the best advice for an illusionist and vice-vs is just one example.

When seeking advise, especially here, read prior posts and if you know what the person is saying is true, then one can reasonable be assured his advice is sound.

Also note the personality of the "advice giver". There is a fraction (approximately 25%) who will absolutely believe they are "always right" and defend that stand to the end. They are very good and convincing others of this fact, and they are FT entertainers.

Here on the Café, there are FT/PT who I would not give two-cents for their advice because they have not earned my trust or have spouted out enough wrong advise, not to trust that advice. On the other hand, there are those on the Café, I trust completely, FT or PT doesn't matter, their knowledge level is worthy of listening to and understanding.

The decision to listen to one's advice is an individual choice.
Dennis Michael
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
A Full-time part-timer here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Professional Magicians (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL