The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Big fat liars! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
1) Politicians (who a great majority of are attorneys, go figure)
2) the Media (they are based on making a profit you know)
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
The Media is just ignorant of their mission and history of their profession and it's place in the world and of history in general.

Testing Clergy...I think it might be very interesting to test them at different stages of their practice...jaded wins me thinks as the beat goes on...not counting the ones who are in it for the money (Plenty of hypocraps there) it must be a tough road to preach what one has come to not really rely on as truth...if the belief gets stronger then the job would be much easier.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
I don't think the media is ignorant of their mission. It is to make money and entertain, not to inform. Inform in small doses maybe. Theoretically, I do agree Doug - I just think it's been quite a while since that ethic has been promoted. Hey, maybe these talking heads on tv really do deserve million dollar salaries; they look so informed!
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Gaddy, I am with you. mr. bartlett, you forgot FOX, the place were all lies start. watch bill o for a bit, and them tell me in your heart that he is a nice, smart guy...
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2008-07-31 19:58, kcg5 wrote:
Gaddy, I am with you. mr. bartlett, you forgot FOX, the place were all lies start. watch bill o for a bit, and them tell me in your heart that he is a nice, smart guy...

bill o show is an editorial, not a news program. He does not present himself as reporting the news, just commenting on it. I have only watched his program a few times, and he seem to promote class envy a little to much for my taste.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I entered broadcasting in late 1968. We knew the 'mission' and what was not only expected of us but the consequenses of prostituting a free press. Somewhere about the Clintonian age of parsing it got skewed and lines were drawn...coincidently schools started turning out morons as a rule rather than a misfire. I'm not at all saying it was Clinton's fault...it was just the time to happen.

There are still some excellent journalists if you look for them...you'll play hell trying to find any of them on TV...there are a few though.

Calling out Fopx aside from the other lousy channekls is a bit cheezy and and easy since everybody does it. You will see stories on Fox the others wont touch...O'Reily is an entertainer...his ratings are for a reason. The hour with Brit Hume and Krauthammer etc. is some of the best news and commentary on the tube. If there is a farce it is MSNBC...the others are what they are..a piece of the pie...and it's getting stale, Fox included.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I think professionals that register with a licensing board of their professions are not suppose to lie. So professions such as psychiatrists and lawyers can be sued by patients/clients if they intentionally tell a lie or withhold the truth.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:

I don't watch O'Reilly on TV, but I listen to the radio show fairly often. He's clearly a smart guy, and he also strikes me as a nice enough guy (though you can't always tell by someone's public persona). He's also very willing to call it on both sides, unlike most political commentators on the left OR right; as an example, while Sean Hannitty and Rush Limbaugh were minimizing the Scooter Libby situation, O'Reilly was saying that if he had done it, they should nail him. He's also been highly critical of the war, and he credits Obama on numerous issues pretty much daily.

In contrast, I also spend time listening to the local liberal talk radio station (AM 1150 in L.A.), and I have yet to hear any of its hosts make positive remarks about McCain, or acknowledge when the situation in the Middle East gets better (e.g. the post-surge improvement). Of course, that's not unexpected from the "nice guys" who called General Patraeus a credible source on the war when he said what they wanted to hear (it was going badly), and "General Betray-Us" in a large NYT ad when he told them things they didn't want to hear (it was going better).

He's certainly more conservative than I am, but he's also far less a partisan cheerleader than the vast majority of people I hear doing commentary. Then again, as most people have discovered, you can do very well in this country preaching to the choir.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2008-07-31 20:39, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

I don't watch O'Reilly on TV, but I listen to the radio show fairly often. He's clearly a smart guy, and he also strikes me as a nice enough guy (though you can't always tell by someone's public persona). He's also very willing to call it on both sides, unlike most political commentators on the left OR right; as an example, while Sean Hannitty and Rush Limbaugh were minimizing the Scooter Libby situation, O'Reilly was saying that if he had done it, they should nail him. He's also been highly critical of the war, and he credits Obama on numerous issues pretty much daily.

In contrast, I also spend time listening to the local liberal talk radio station (AM 1150 in L.A.), and I have yet to hear any of its hosts make positive remarks about McCain, or acknowledge when the situation in the Middle East gets better (e.g. the post-surge improvement). Of course, that's not unexpected from the "nice guys" who called General Patraeus a credible source on the war when he said what they wanted to hear (it was going badly), and "General Betray-Us" in a large NYT ad when he told them things they didn't want to hear (it was going better).

He's certainly more conservative than I am, but he's also far less a partisan cheerleader than the vast majority of people I hear doing commentary. Then again, as most people have discovered, you can do very well in this country preaching to the choir.

I'm not so sure he's so very willing to call it on both sides, as you imply. Bill’s stand on the war and his position about Libby is still based on his personal belief system, his point of view. If he believed the war was just, his comments would be different, as well the politicians he chooses praise.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
He is also being real easy on Obama since he want's him to appear on the show...so he's rather appologetic at times and it's getting a bit too obvious that he doesn't want to rock Obama's boat.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Doug, I think Bill O would like to see Obama in the White house, not just on his show. You have to remember the war is a big issue with Bill and he and Obama share the same point of view of it.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I don't think he wants Obama in the White House, but he could probably be convinced. I also don't think he's being Obama-friendly to get him on the show; he rips a lot of people he'd like to have on the show. When I say "calls it on both sides," I didn't mean that he takes both sides of every issue. Obviously, as a commentator, he offers his opinions. What I mean is that even when doing so, and also when reporting news stories, he doesn't frame the issue in such a way as to make the Republicans look good and the Democrats look bad (as Limbaugh and Hannitty do). Or vice versa. By "both sides" I meant left & right, not his positions and positions he doesn't hold.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
People who test Lie Detectors! Must be a Job like that somewhere...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
And Actors.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2008-07-31 23:58, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I don't think he wants Obama in the White House, but he could probably be convinced. I also don't think he's being Obama-friendly to get him on the show; he rips a lot of people he'd like to have on the show. When I say "calls it on both sides," I didn't mean that he takes both sides of every issue. Obviously, as a commentator, he offers his opinions. What I mean is that even when doing so, and also when reporting news stories, he doesn't frame the issue in such a way as to make the Republicans look good and the Democrats look bad (as Limbaugh and Hannitty do). Or vice versa. By "both sides" I meant left & right, not his positions and positions he doesn't hold.

Bill does frame it to slant the way he see it like in the Libby Case.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
You seem to be responding to something I'm not saying. My point is that most political commentators frame their presentation to be favorable to the political left, or to the political right. As a guy who is pretty clearly more conservative than liberal, and who works for Fox, the reputation that O'Reilly has is of someone who will frame or present every issue in a pro-Republican way, which is what Hannitty and Limbaugh do an overwhelming majority of the time. The Libby story is an example of O'Reilly not doing that.

In conjunction with, for instance, the Sandy Berger story, it's even more clear. Just about every liberal host blasted Libby's conduct, and said that Berger's wasn't a big deal, and just about every conservative host blasted Berger's conduct, and said that Libby's wasn't a big deal. And you can pretty much tell that just about all of them would have gone the other way had the characters in the story been switched. Ditto, for instance, Clarence Thomas and Bill Clinton, with respect to the Anita Hill and Paula Jones stories. Of the people I've spent the most time listening to, O'Reilly is one of the ones I believe would be most likely to comment the same way on the conduct, regardless of who happened to be involved.

Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Hannitty and Limbaugh have been very critical of Bush for his refusal to veto pork barrel spending and passing liberal bills put before him. They have only defended Bush on the handling of the war and the appointments of Supreme Court judges. They say that they feel like most conservatives do about the up coming election is between a candidates that defend this country and one that will sell it out to the U.N... Bill is all for the cut and run policies of Obama, I guess that does make FOX fair and balanced.

:spoon:
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Quote:
You're reading a lot more into what I said than what I actually said. I do concede a "day one" in my OPINION... This thread is about opinions, right? Just checking...

Gaddy, you're right. Please accept my apology.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
No prob, Airship... It's a hot-button, I know, but I thought it'd be more compelling than another vote for lawyers and politicians...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Wow! Way to hijack a thread kids!

You'd all make terrible scientists! You get distracted REAL easy!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Big fat liars! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL