The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Big fat liars! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2008-08-03 20:56, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
Wow! Way to hijack a thread kids!

You'd all make terrible scientists! You get distracted REAL easy!

I'm guilty as charged, but there have been a lot of scientific discovery made by accident. Smile
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Personal injury lawyers, sleazy used car salesmen, politicians.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
I given this a lot of thought and I would have to say, since con men permeate every profession, the best liars are with out a doubt CON MEN.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
Quote:
On 2008-07-31 14:11, gaddy wrote:
Clergy.

No doubt in my mind.

They've been lying since day two.

On day one they (collectively) might have actually talked to their god(s) -I'm willing to give 'em the benefit of the doubt... But, ever since then, they've been the most dishonest, deceptive and destructive forces within the human experience.

The most honest ones of the bunch don't even know they are lying, they just repeat and believe the lies they've been told.

In order for it to be a lie one must know that what they are saying is untrue. Therefore, they are either all liars or none are. Having been a member of the clergy I take great umbrage at this comment as I never once lied to a congregation or anybody else.
By universally calling them destructive forces, I assume that you think it was a bad thing when they were fighting against slavery in the US (unfortunately against some of their own colleagues).I take it you also thought (Rev) Martin Luther King was more of a pied piper who got people all worked up, not for an ideal, but to make himself look good?
As to the guys on TV who hold telethons every other month, you'll get no argument there.
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Surprisingly, as a retired clergy person, I would have to agree with Gaddy. I, too, think that clergy are somewhat a dishonest group of folk.
BUT, it is not quite that simple...
Some people simply state what they "believe" whether it is the truth or not.
SO... if a person promulgates the Virgin Birth, is he/she being dishonest if he/she believes it to be true?
If someone "believes" that prayer changes things, is he/she lying when that viewpoint is stated?
If we agree that the clergy is a dishonest bunch, then surely, philosophers would fall into the same category.
I find this to be an intriguing line of thought.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Edit
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Chessmann,
I understand what you are saying about being over the top with..."they've been the most dishonest, deceptive and destructive forces within the human experience."
But if we take into consideration the widely and wildly diverse beliefs that are held, it seems to me that there might be a bit of wisdom in taking a closer look.
I live within a mile of two churches. One has a woman serving. One has a man serving who says that God does not allow women to speak for "Him."
So many wars fought in the name of God and both sides saying, "God is on our side."
If they are not lying, then they must be at least... confused.

Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2009-06-18 00:12, Parson Smith wrote:
Chessmann,
I understand what you are saying about being over the top with..."they've been the most dishonest, deceptive and destructive forces within the human experience."
But if we take into consideration the widely and wildly diverse beliefs that are held, it seems to me that there might be a bit of wisdom in taking a closer look.
I live within a mile of two churches. One has a woman serving. One has a man serving who says that God does not allow women to speak for "Him."
So many wars fought in the name of God and both sides saying, "God is on our side."
If they are not lying, then they must be at least... confused.

Parson

Parson, PM'd you.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Decibel33
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Decibel33
Quote:
On 2008-07-31 06:17, Lyndel wrote:
Prostitutes & Strippers.

Bad experience? LOL!

Anyway, I think any person in sales. Especially if they're working on commission
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2009-06-17 23:49, Parson Smith wrote:
If we agree that the clergy is a dishonest bunch, then surely, philosophers would fall into the same category.

The greatest con man I ever knew personally was a preacher. The greatest con men in all history have been theologians and philosophers.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Doctors and the AMA are really making great strides in the field of professional dishonesty these days, too.

I suppose you can lump in the big drug companies, too if you really want a slam dunk.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I don't think politicians can be called the best liars because we are all on to them.

Prostitutes are, I think, quite honest, because one way or another, you come away from them having got what they told you you'd get. Politicians, on the other hand, make no promises to screw you, but do, and we all know they are going to do it.

I would nominate the various models and actresses who promote beauty treatments in infomercials, and who variously fail to mention their long marriage to a plastic surgeon, or promote their line as a viable alternative to the supposedly painful and potentially dangerous botox injections that they themselves get.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I don't think anybody would dispute politicians as the first choice.
Telephone salesmen are up there on my list (including the ones who do political surveys.)
Lawyers.
Police.
Used car salesmen.
Bodybuilding supplement makers.
Actually, most professions have liars in them. People who hate their jobs will lie to you to get you to leave them alone. They will tell you that you need to go to a different office, or to try their trick to fix your computer and call back.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
How about "alternative medicine" practitioners who sell expensive crap that even they know has no health benefit?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
They're the same ones who make bodybuilding supplements that don't do anything.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
How about me?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
You're not fat.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
Politicians and lawyers are the biggest liars.

I'm a commission only salesman and I don't have to lie about my product, it's the best system in the country and I have the proof.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Jeff, politicians are the worst liars- as has been said already, it's easy to know when they're lying: their lips are moving. Find a ventriliquist politician, and we might be in trouble.

I once offered to show a product I was testing to someone in the marketing department. They told me they didn't want to see it, or know anything about it beyond their bullet-point sheet, since it might make it tougher for them to sell. (Granted, it was a shoddy product, but...)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Actually, customers probably lie more than most salespeople do.
"I don't have any money." - "I will think about it and call you back." Etc, Etc.

I agree, politicians would have to be at the top of the list.

Tom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Big fat liars! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL