The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Realistic Spring Flowers (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I didn't realize that many people didn't know what I was talking about when I kept harping about making your spring flowers realistic. I had a section in "Flower Power" (from The Wizards' Journal #14) on the subject, but #1) I released a draft copy instead of the completed version by mistake and it wasn't caught until almost a year later, and #2) the section on Spring Flowers needed additional expansion and photos. Both of those items have now been addressed in the e-Book, but for those who have no clue as to how realistic a spring flower can become, I have posted some photos in Photobucket.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/p......15a6.pbw

The Flower Power e-Book gives some details on how to make the double chrysanthemum and if there is enough interest, I may do a separate e-Book to show how to make the full range of flowers, but once you understand the basic concept, you can usually wing it on your own from there.

I'm sorry this is not a tube or a box or a bag, but there is currently no forum section for flowers, and these flowers can certainly be produced from tubes and boxes and bags.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11174 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Those are excellent!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
kosmoshiva
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
255 Posts

Profile of kosmoshiva
Gosh, they look good enough to eat!
;)
Don't forget to breathe.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Incredible work! Those really compress?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Yes, they compress, but of course not as much as tissue paper flowers. However they open up much larger than the typical tissue spring flower, so you can get just as big a bouquet using fewer flowers. The double chrysanthemum is an example of how to get two flowers in the space of one, so you can really make a big showing with a small number of springs.

If compression is really an issue, you would stick with flat type flowers, like the daisy, black-eyed susan or asters. Tulips, roses, lilies and daffodils require a bit more space, but I suggest you go into a Dollar Store and when no one is looking just give the flowers you want to use a squeeze to see how much they compress. Then apply the tricks I show you in the e-Book to make them compress even further for magical use.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
In my new book about Willard The Wizard, you'll read just how much he got out of the "Flowers From Paper Cone" production. It is really gorgeous - and deceptive - if done correctly. It was the opening of Willard's show for many years. It's about time for someone to do it again.
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
820 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
Thanks to share this piece of work.

Paulo
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Wow.
Simply...wow.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2133 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I recommend Spellbinder's e-book "Flower Power" for some great ideas on how to make better looking flower effects. If you want to do effects with flowers this is a good reference book:

http://www.magicnook.com/WizJ14/WIZ14-10FlowerPower.htm

(I was less than enthusiastic about the earlier, incomplete version of Flower Power which had been posted on his website for sale, but recently he has revised the Flower Power e-book extensively and it is overflowing with great ideas and examples of good looking flower tricks)
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7521 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The last guy I saw do a decent job with the spring flowers was Bob Higa. He produced about 300 from a #10 can. It was really something. But the reset is long.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
321 Posts

Profile of Gerald
David is absolutely right about Willard’s Flowers From A Paper Cone production. I saw him do it twice. He would show the paper empty, form it into a cone, shake the cone and flowers would gush forth, slowly at first, then more and more. You saw absolutely nothing sneaky at all. And I mean nothing.

I doubt that his performance of this will ever be equaled. It would be a challenge for some talented, resourceful performer to try. Certainly this was a beautiful piece of magic. Thanks for reminding us, David. Your book on the Willard family is terrific!

Regards,
Gerald
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2230 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Speelbinder, thanks for updating the ebook "Flower Power". I really appreciate it.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2133 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2008-08-03 21:45, David Charvet wrote:
In my new book about Willard The Wizard, you'll read just how much he got out of the "Flowers From Paper Cone" production. It is really gorgeous - and deceptive - if done correctly. It was the opening of Willard's show for many years. It's about time for someone to do it again.

Anyone who is interested in this sort of classic flower production take a look right now at the featured stage magic effect on Robinson's AllMagic.com site :

Donald Holmes Production of Flowers from Paper Cone

http://allmagic.com/magic/stage.html

(this is current as of 8/5/08 . The AllMagic.com site changes frequently, so go read the article while it is up . Some weeks or months later it may not be there.)
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Keep in mind that Donald Holmes was using materials and ideas available to his era (1920s). The paper band holder can be improved by using a slick garbage bag plastic band that you can squeeze the flowers out of right through the paper cone. Today, it is no longer the first load of flowers that is surprising... it is the second and third loads that fill up a bushel basket (or umbrella, etc.) This is where your cups and balls loading experience can really pay off.
Professor Spellbinder

Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Genius of an idea for the steal of the load in the Donald Holmes routine! Most impressed.

Love the spring flowers too, they look amazing.

I looked into getting some custom made spring flowers recently, just because it's hard to find perfect ones for sale. However I couldn't find a source that was willing to make even the basic design (companies complained they were too fiddley), nor could they be made in the UK for a reasonable cost (just can't compete with cheap labour...). And I even tried a company that makes lots of the false flowers seen in films and on television.

So I've ended up making my own, all 1000 of them (with some help from some very patient and kind friends). They're not all done yet, but about 2/3rds are. Again I opted for the standard design, because well, I started making them in May. Even to make a simple flower takes too long when you need them on mass.

So as beautiful as they look, and as much as I'd like to use them, I'll have to stick to the classical design. Nuff respect to Spellbinder for being able to create them though!

Paul
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I've had spring flowers for years.

Every time I've considered using them I've decided not to. They just look too much like fold out Christmas decorations - and really tacky ones at that.

I like flash and colour, but compare spring flowers to the beautiful feather flowers from Richard Hughes. Richard's flowers provide flash and colour that looks both aesthetic and magical. Spring flowers look neither. (I never hesitate to use the beautiful Hughes roses I invested in a couple of years ago.)

I bought the Flower Power e-book from http://www.magicnook.com early yesterday morning and today I am looking at a beautiful bouquet of spring frangipanni.

There looks to be other great ideas in the book including a botania with real flowers but I went straight to the spring flowers and will now be an enthusiastic user of 'Flowers that Bloom in the Spring'.

If you use spring flowers, spend this $5.

If you don't, you have rocks in your head.

Destiny
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7521 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Destiny,
Thanks for the kind words. I used to make spring flowers but people did not want to pay the price for good flowers. Mine had rip stop nylon outer leaves and the paper was hand dyed. One of the secrets is to use extra green spring flowers so there appears to be more leaves. Also making mutiple tones on the paper adds to the illusion.

When Bob Higa did the flowers they just keep coming and coming. I think Bob said he loaded 300 flowers for it.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Anytime Richard - your artistry is outstanding. I noticed the Professor also lauded and recommended your flowers in his Flower Power e-book.

It takes some getting used to Professor Spellbinders spring flowers because they don't look like spring flowers - they look like flowers - I've just been out for supplies to make more.

Destiny
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7521 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
While the idea is admirable, I do not feel that gives enough spread and flash on stage which is the ultimate goal of the flowers. Up close they could be a better choice.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I would remind Richard, and the rest of you who regularly perform on stages before crowds of 1,000 or more, that a good portion of the audience sits close enough to the stage to tell the difference between feather, commercial spring flowers and real flowers. We don't always have to plan our entire performances for those on the outskirts of the crowd, and in that kind of venue, how much flower magic is possible anyway?

If the person in the back row sees the magician produce a bouquet of roses (for example) and then sees the magician pick out a few roses and toss them to the audience, he relies on the reactions of the up front spectators to tell him that real flowers are being used, although to him, at his distance from the stage, they look like little red blobs whether they are made of feathers, silk, tissue paper, or genuine living rose petals. But a spectator in the front row who catches one and then holds it to her nose to smell it, tells him it is real.
Professor Spellbinder

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Realistic Spring Flowers (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL