The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups & Balls comparison chart. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-08-07 07:09, Sir Richard wrote:
I didn't know that about the "Danny Dew/Paul Fox cups Bill. As I said earlier perhaps "availability" should also be a consideration. BTW, who carries the aforementioned Cups? R.S.

Since they no longer manufactured -- haven't been in almost three decades -- the primary source for them is the used magic market. Auctions, used magic dealers and collectors is where you will find them.

So basically, nobody carries them. OTOH, Jake makes some very good reissues of said cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
Sir Richard,

I'd like to see exact measurements for all cups listed.

G
"I suggest you watch very carefully..."
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:
On 2008-08-07 18:54, Levity wrote:
Sir Richard,

I'd like to see exact measurements for all cups listed.

G

I think that's not a bad idea, also what size "final load" the cups are supposed to handle as the measurements themselves might be misleading depending on the actual shape of the cup. S.R.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you know that a cup is a rounded top cup, you automatically have an idea of the relative size of the load to the cup. The final load size measurements on the museum site are practical to the extent that they tell you how large a ball will fit, with the exception of very large cups.

Most cups and balls routines end with a final load of larger balls, fruit or something similar. If you know what you want to produce, you can eliminate a large number of items that are available.

A rounded top cup, such as a Paul Fox cup, can take a larger load than a traditional cup of the same size, because the bottom part of the PF cup is basically a cylinder that goes up past the widest part of the load ball. Then the rounded section goes on, and simply provides a stopping point for the load. If the cylindrical section is too short, then the ultimate size of the load ball will be smaller, given the same diameter of the cylindrical section.

The traditioal cup does not have as efficient a load handling capability, because its cross section is basically a trapezoidal sitting on top of a rectangle. The amount of taper of the trapezoidal section and the height of the rectangular section determine the maximum size of round object that can go into the cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups & Balls comparison chart. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL