The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ricky Jay - The Cups and Balls (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Hi christopher,if you want to know what they think about this beatiful routine go to here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=115
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Gracias!
I couldn't find a thread on it.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
That's one routine that deserves either a re post or a bump of the old!
Doesn't matter how many times I watch it I find something new and interesting every time!
Darth Ewok
View Profile
Loyal user
Greeneville TN
228 Posts

Profile of Darth Ewok
Hehe this post looks familiar somehow
my real name is Kevin Harrison

http://www.myspace.com/magicalclerk
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Ricky has taken two or three steps further the historical approach initiated by Jhonny Thompson.
His ability at writing interesting scripts is proven once again and his showmanship is outstanding. His routine is the live demonstration that, when magic is properly shared with the audience, people don't even think of trying to understand the methods. They are just sharing the experience of something deeply magical. The cause of the effects, the sleights and secret moves, do not count any more.
Thus his cups and balls are done... by magic.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27019 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Perhaps the cause is not of interest when the effect is framed in a way which furthers the larger narrative - and that narrative is of interest to the audience.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1617 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Pith-master,

That is the best post I've read on the Café.
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
I just saw this performance in LA. I love the gasps from the audience, especially from the final loads. But what really makes it magical is the perfect melding of patter and actions.
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
Sublime.
"I suggest you watch very carefully..."
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Great performance! I'd love to see him live...
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
Only one word to describe that routine by Ricky Jay and that word is "Wow." That was the best C&B routine that I have ever seen, even if I did not hear a word that was being said since I am Hearing Impaired, it was really fun watching.

I am now more inspired to work on my own C&B, thanks to Ricky Jay.

Sincerely
Madkiki
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2008-08-07 02:12, madkiki wrote:
Only one word to describe that routine by Ricky Jay and that word is "Wow." That was the best C&B routine that I have ever seen, even if I did not hear a word that was being said since I am Hearing Impaired, it was really fun watching.

I am now more inspired to work on my own C&B, thanks to Ricky Jay.

Sincerely
Madkiki

There is another very visual routine which you may want to watch which is Tommy Wonder's routine. The patter is not as meaningful as Ricky's one but visual it is.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Ricky, Tommy, and now Kent Gunn, David Regal, Jason Latimer and now Antonio Romero. Another break through was one of the Flicking Finger's group and Johnny (I don't call him Ace) Palmer. All at the tope of the heap.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I have seen Tommy Wonder's and Jason Latimer, but I still like Ricky Jay's the best. Just saw Antonio Romero and enjoyed that as well, his routine like Jason Latimer appear to be very unique from the classic C&B routines. I only say this from the little experience that I have viewing other people's work.

Keep in mind that patter never reaches my damaged ears, so everything is going through my eyes only. Oooppps, almost everything is going through my eyes, I sometimes forget that Magic is deceptive to the eyes.

Gazzo is another great performer, but to be able to enjoy his routine you would have to have normal hearing since 90% of his routine is "Patter." Obviously this does not bode well with my deafness. I do admire his awsome ability to entertain a crowd for 45 minutes with a short simple C&B routine, but if I was one with the crowd I would be falling asleep waiting for him to get to the C&Bs itself.

Cannot speak for Kent Gunn or David Regal because I have not seen their routine yet, but I would love to see them and many others.

Keep the Magic rolling.
Madkiki
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Kent's will fool you. It is on you tube. Here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fNO3obSA7M

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 1:28pm
Here's a BAD version of Regal's idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGAqj2UzfZg

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 1:40pm
Here is a very dear friend with an unusual routine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh6_jZ9L9n0
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2008-08-08 13:28, Pete Biro wrote:
Here's a BAD version of Regal's idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGAqj2UzfZg

Oh yeah, LOVED his "tip over" moves. Smile
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Short and sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKxkma0-gxc&NR=1
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
[quote]On 2008-08-08 13:41, Dave V wrote:
Quote:

Oh yeah, LOVED his "tip over" moves. Smile

Studying the C&Bs during a summer in Bordeaux with Christian Fechner, I discovered that the Tip Over move was described in a little booklet published in 1902 by Jean Caroly which also included what has now been named by Ed Marlo the Spider Grip Vanish (in 1902 Ed Marlo was extremely small). Not bad for a small book...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Tell me, how is my friend Fechner doing these days? Every time we got to Paris he was away on a movie location.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ricky Jay - The Cups and Balls (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL