The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » How to Approach Strangers? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DaChangsta
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of DaChangsta
How should I approach total strangers without seeming like some weirdo, forceful, irritating, etc.?

What would I say if I wanted to perform
- cards
- sponge balls
- thimbles
- stuff in general

What would I say to get them interested and not reject me right off the bat?

Not for busking purposes - simply just want to entertain people when I'm in a place (i.e. mall) with nothing to do

What type of people should I approach (anything I should watch for in terms of the actions they are engaged in when I plan on approaching)?

If this topic already exists, please provide a link

Thanks in advance!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
"Hey dude, can I show you something kinda wierd?"

Works for me but then again I have a sort of crazy look along with the personality. You can leave off the kinda wierd part.

I had a college show a few weeks ago and the crowd was a bit sparce with just a few minutes to go. I came up to a few at the tables and asked if they were going to be around for the freak show. I do mostly mentalism with some bizarre now and then. Unless they are small children, mentioning a magic show may not be the best idea. Asking to see some magic is normally okay though.
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
Just be casual.
"What's up guys, you got a minute?"
"Cool. Check this out."
Chances are they'll think you're a freak no matter what. If they tell you to go away, don't take it personally.
So sorry I soiled your precious eyes.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
I'm Curious:
What are your reasons for showing magic to strangers? I know some people will think I'm being a jerk, but I'm genuinely curious what your motivation is.

When I say "strangers" I'm referring to strangers who aren't a)expecting a magician or b)sitting in a place (like a restaurant) where it wouldn't be as weird.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4069 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I would assume it is to practice, you can only show so many tricks to your cat Smile

Mike
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2008-08-06 15:16, Michael Peterson wrote:
I would assume it is to practice, you can only show so many tricks to your cat Smile
Mike

Mike,

Thanks for your guess. I, too, have my guesses, but I would like to know what DaChangsta is thinking to better understand his specific needs/motivation, etc.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4069 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Jeff,

I'm sure we will find out shortly.

:)

Mike
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I like this Jeff more and more.....
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2008-08-06 20:05, MagicSanta wrote:
I like this Jeff more and more.....

He's pretty cool... But man don't get too close to him; you might go into orbit around him.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24062 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
If you look more relaxed, the one you approach is going to be more relaxed. Have the item in your hand already before you approach the person. If you walk up to the person, next reach in your pocket, they might think you are about to pull out a weapon.

My number approach is with sponge rabbits. I walk up to the person and say "You dropped this." It disappears with a retention pass. The person is already excited. I already "broke the ice." I already have them undercontrol because they would be interested in seeing more.
DaChangsta
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of DaChangsta
Hey

Thanks for the replies!

As to why I want to randomly perform magic for strangers
a) Practice
b) Kill off boredom for myself (while hopefully also helping them kill their boredom and perhaps make their day more interesting than it was)
c) Meet new people (i.e. in University)
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
When in a public/semi-public place like a doctors's office, motor vehicle inspection, a subway station or the like, where people aren't on the move, then do something to attract some attention.
Produce a coin, roll the coin then vanish it. Float a matchbook or something. Do a card flourish. Whatever. When you see them looking, look up, smile and ask if they want to see a trick.

The street is tough because people are moving from place to place.
Doctor Xombie
View Profile
Regular user
FL (formerly Planet X)
109 Posts

Profile of Doctor Xombie
Quote:
On 2008-08-07 22:52, Dynamike wrote:

My number approach is with sponge rabbits. I walk up to the person and say "You dropped this." It disappears with a retention pass. The person is already excited. I already "broke the ice." I already have them undercontrol because they would be interested in seeing more.

That's good. Smile I like.
-Roger "The Doctor"

Doctor Xombie & Roger Boyes -Author
E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
Quote:
On 2008-08-02 22:36, DaChangsta wrote:
How should I approach total strangers without seeming like some weirdo, forceful, irritating, etc.?

What would I say if I wanted to perform
- cards
- sponge balls
- thimbles
- stuff in general

What would I say to get them interested and not reject me right off the bat?

Not for busking purposes - simply just want to entertain people when I'm in a place (i.e. mall) with nothing to do

What type of people should I approach (anything I should watch for in terms of the actions they are engaged in when I plan on approaching)?

Thanks in advance!

Hey man. I know what you mean. I posted a thread about my view on how to approach. No one comment on it. *Scratching Head* Anyway, here's the link. I hope it help you out.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=92&0
Rob-ing you of your thoughts www.themindofrobert.weebly.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24062 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-08-07 22:52, Dynamike wrote:

The top 4 lines you will receive from a surprised spectator when doing the above:

"How did you do that?"

"Where did it go?"

"You're a magician."

"Do that again."
magic924
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magic924
Going up to people is definatly a strong point for me so let me see. Key things to remember:

1. Don't make them think your gonna pick their pockets! If you walk around nervous to go up to someone and you keep looking at them. Your going to look suspicious. I personally wouldn't want someone to keep eyeing me. It makes people uncomfortable.

2. Don't ask them if they wanna see a magic trick. That gives them the opportunity to say no. Plus they may think your talking about some trick their kid has been bugging them with ever since they got their Marshal Brodein magic set for christmas.

3. When I do street magic just for fun I approach people as if I know them. That's really the best way to describe it. If I'm using the hummingbird card I will say something like "have you ever seen a card just float in mid air?" Don't pause just go into it. I sometimes use coins so if I'm like in line for food at the food court and I just feel like doing magic sometimes I'll say "have you ever seen a quarter do this?" and go right into a coin routine. Sometimes if people are walking by I will just grab their attention by say "hey guys check this out"

4. I'm not sure why I'm numbering these but it's fun.

5. Look happy. Be enthusiastic. You have to be an actor and when you want to draw a crowd then be louder.

6. RECAP!!!!!One thing I've learned and I love is how to Recap. If someone comes over to watch you do magic and your halway through your amazing card trick, they aren't going to know whats going on they just see a turned over card in the deck etc. So recap let them know what's happened and most of the time they will react very similiar to the people who've been watching the entire time.

Hope this has helped.
mattcramer.com
buildupmusclefast.com
Airave
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
137 Posts

Profile of Airave
I always carry a couple/few TTs loaded with
various colors.... so I can just walk up to a couple....

...and ask them "What is the color of Love? Yes, Red!
OMG there is so much between you.... may I materialize
some of it for You? Smile?

Or "Oh wow, look at the cloudy skies...
Such a Beautiful woman like yourself
(playing to the husband/bf as neccesary)
always brings Blue Skies! (Produces blue silk).

LOL, I often amaze strangers and emberrase Family
and Friends out in the Street! So much Fun!

Be Prepared and Be Spontainious!
They will Love You for it!
DaChangsta
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of DaChangsta
Hey!

Thanks for all the responses!

Extra thanks to Jaz, Magic924, and Airave!

I'll hopefully be able to try the suggestions out sometime soon (will be going on a cruise Thursday so I'll definitely try the stuff out then)
Airave
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
137 Posts

Profile of Airave
Quote:
On 2008-08-12 20:59, DaChangsta wrote:
Hey!

Thanks for all the responses!

Extra thanks to Jaz, Magic924, and Airave!

I'll hopefully be able to try the suggestions out sometime soon (will be going on a cruise Thursday so I'll definitely try the stuff out then)

Thank You! Always happy to help. I'm a better performer
then a technical Magician, but get the most mileage out of
what works for me. I Loves TT's and Rubber Bands and Playing
the Moment!

Wow, have a great cruise! Are you a hired Magician?
DaChangsta
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of DaChangsta
Quote:
On 2008-08-13 12:58, Airave wrote:

Thank You! Always happy to help. I'm a better performer
then a technical Magician, but get the most mileage out of
what works for me. I Loves TT's and Rubber Bands and Playing
the Moment!

Wow, have a great cruise! Are you a hired Magician?

Haha - thanks! Not a hired magician - magic is just a hobby - however I would like to entertain others with it as I've always loved it when I've been entertained with magic (Before I started magic, I was one of those people who doesn't care about how a trick was done - as long as I'm entertained by it [I'm still like that, unless of course I want to learn the trick so I can perform it too]).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » How to Approach Strangers? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL