The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » "It's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
The famous quotation "It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission" is often attributed to Grace Hopper, USN
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I think Mike picked a good method for breaking into busking. As someone else mentioned, busking doesn't require a street, sidewalk or any other particular venue. Basically, you are peforming "on spec."

The hat tells a lot of the story.

It worked for Mike. He gave a good show. He got paid.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you Bill. Back then starting off at the park was a great start off point for me. I would not be where I am today with busking if I did not use the park as my practice and first learning spot.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-08-03 13:43, Dynamike wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-08-03 12:06, ed rhodes wrote:
I would feel better asking permission. That way you don't look like you're intruding on their function. Maybe make it clear that any reimbursement is on a strictly voluntary basis. (I notice in the second case, the woman had to come up and TELL you that they didn't have money to pay you with. That should have been brought up first thing to ease their minds.)

But Ed, I am not 52 yet: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=5242065 Smile

You don't have to be over 50 to show some consideration.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Ed, Busking is NOT about "showing some consideration!!" Busking is about making money. You know that I don't think much of Dynamike, but he had the "whatever" to go do this and that puts him up a couple of notches for me.

Now before anyone butts in and gripes about how I am picking on Ed. I am not saying that you should go full time into busking, just that full time buskers see things different than part timers, both ways are right, just different for each of us.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
*sigh* Fine. I understand your point of view. I just know if I were holding some celebration in a public area and someone wanted to come in and work my crowd for tips, I'd be a little annoyed.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Ed, you are right, and that's the risk a busker takes. the partiers could ignore him, call the cops on him, ask him to get the h^&& out of there, or even "forcibly remove him. Any time you busk you take those risks.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Before you be great, you gotta be good. Before you be good, you gotta be bad. Before you be bad, you gotta try.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'm acceptable with that. Go out and perform, perform in the street, perform in the park, I just don't think you should focus on someone else's event without their permission. Maybe that's why I'll never be great... I'm acceptable with that too!
DanielMooncalf
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
113 Posts

Profile of DanielMooncalf
I would not crash a party. If you're being harassed by cops for busking, you need to talk with the ACLU, and deprive the local government of money via a lawsuit.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
When I was harassed by a cop, I went to City Hall, told he was wrong and his Lieutenant would be notified. I haven't been back yet to see the results.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » "It's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL