The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Baby Birds.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
138 Posts

Profile of WKM
Hi all

My birds recently had chicks! YAY

I have noted in the past that after a certain amount of time the chicks tend to pass away but I cant figure out why.

The oldest ones I had were able to leave the nest I think but not get back to it. Could this be the reason? Do the parents just stop feeding after this point or before?

I ask because I now have a chick in my avairy. He/She is about a month to 6 weeks old and already quite large. There are quite a few feathers that are flying feathers now and there is quite an established tail coming on too. There are a few holes on the patchwork so to speak where there are no feathers like on the belly and he is up and about walking around the nest and pearching on the end of it.

So.... I am looking to train this bird. I am guessing that the younger (within reason) the better to start.

Obviously I want the bird to survive and of course want it to trust and understand me. I am thinking to bring the bird in now until it is trained and grown, but of couse there are questions.....

What do I feed him? I feed the others on mixed poultry grain that I get from my local store, which I reccomended by the breeder who I got my birds from and who keeps many verieties and speccies of bird. It seems to keep them in good health. So I could give him this but will he be able to digest it or do I need to treat it first/feed something else?

I have a cage in which to keep him, and of course bedding etc... but is there anything else that I will require other than perches, food and water trays?

Any help or advice that I can get as always would be great.....

Thanks in advance...

Liam
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

Not a belief - An Experience!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5036 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Liam, you didn't say what kind of birds you have so I'll talk about doves. You shouldn't feed the baby anything different that what you feed the parents. At 6 weeks, it should pretty much be eating on it's own.

You said you wanted to bring the bird "in". I don't understand. The parents and baby can stay together for a while as long as there is room in the cage for them. Eventually you'll have to separate them as 3 adult birds in one cage is crowded unless you have a very large cage.

You can start handling the dove at 6 weeks but you need to be very careful as it is still fragile. Start out just holding it so it can get used to you. After awhile, you can start tossing it a bit. You have to watch it's breathing so you don't tire it out.

Besides the feed and water, you need to have a supply of grit. You should already be giving this to your birds anyway. Remember, I'm talking about doves. Without the grit, they cannot survive. Be sure to give them vitamins. Wheat germ is excellent.

There are several topics in this forum about caring for your doves which includes video recommendations, suggestions for treats and general training techniques.
Where the magic begins
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
138 Posts

Profile of WKM
Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply
Yes they are doves. Sorry. I have an avairy out back with 9 in it. I think that weve spoken about this previously and my doves are all a couple of years old now.

What I was thinking was to bring it into the house in its own cage now until it is fully grown and train it, as it seems top be about now that the babys tend to die for whatever reason in tha past, so I wanted to prevent that.

If I can feed it the same as the other adults that makes things a lot simpler and I also have a few books on doves, but they are generic to all doves and don't really cover this particular area.

Anyways thanks for the help and if there is anything else that you think I need to considder please do say so. I'd rather hear what I already know that miss what I don't.

thanks in advance

Liam
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5036 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Liam, since you said your babies die around the 6 week period, I'd do as you suggested and bring it in the house to see what happens. If it survives to adult hood, I'd put it back in the aviary to mix with the other birds.

At 6 weeks, the babies should be able to take care of themselves unless they can't get to the food. They aren't really able to fly at 6 weeks so if you don't have a food dish close to them, they may be starving. The parents will stop feeding it around that time and try to force it out of the nest to live on it's own.
Where the magic begins
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
138 Posts

Profile of WKM
A Ha!

the mystery is solved!!! Thanks Dave. I'm going to get him right now and will keep you updated.....

Thanks again.
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
138 Posts

Profile of WKM
Ok I have him safe and sound indoors.
He is tucked up in a little cage with a fresh straw bed and wood shavings on the floor.

I have him nesting on the floor of the cage and have also put some seed, water and grit within easy reach, just a hop or two away.

He seems quite calm, which I think is a good sign and while he wasnt too chuffed about being picked up for the first time, once I had him he was quite ok about the whole thing, and I even had to lift him off my hand once inside as he seemed quite content to stay there all day! LOL Smile

Anyway I am going to keep an eye on him all day today and hope that he settles in for now, and will keep ya posted.

Liam
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
138 Posts

Profile of WKM
Hi All

Ok well Mustard (Thats his name now...) seems to be doing ok so far but I have a concern that I am hoping someone can help with.

For the first day or two indoor she seemed to be ok taking it all in his stride. but this morning I noticed that he seems to be a little more reserved. He is almost "Hiding" in the corners of the cage and I have noticed some green spots in the wood shavings around the bottom of the cage.

Also he seems to be cold to the touch and a little unsteady on his feet. A few times he has stumbled over and seems not to be able to balance as well as he was. Any ideas????

Thanks

Liam
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hi Liam, the green spots may just be Dove Feces, so no concern. The main concern when keeping the dove indoors is to make sure there is NO DIRECT AIR CONDITIONING blowing on the dove. This can cause the dove to get sick and catch a cold, which usually turns out, not so good. Make sure that if you do have an air conditioning vent nearby, that it is not blowing air on the dove cage. Doves do like the weather to be a little warmer and are not fond of too cold of temperature. Hope that helps some.

-Thomas
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
138 Posts

Profile of WKM
I took the little fella to the vets earlier on and she had a look.
She said that there ws definatly something wrong as he was very lathargic and unhappy.

She gave me some antibiotics and said that there is a fair chance that he may have selmonella.

I came home and put him back into the cage and went out for an hour after changing his water and adding the antibiotics but unfortunatly the little one has gone. I found him on his back in the cage. Smile

Its a shame cos I was taking to him but I guess that it just wasnt to be.
Thanks anyways guys for all your help.

Liam
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5036 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Liam, I'm sorry to hear that. Out of curiosity, have all of your chicks had the same parents? If you didn't have the newest one in a draft at all and it was eating OK on it's own, I'm wondering if the parents may have some genetic problem that is stopping their babies from growing.

I'm not a vet so this is just a shot in the dark.
Where the magic begins
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Very true, Dave. I have a set of doves that lay fertilized eggs all the time, and the chicks never make it, or have some sort of issue. Seeing as it was a pattern, I just take the eggs out of the nest and keeps me from being disappointed each time. I think the parents may have a genetic issue. While I don't use them in shows, one of them doesn't quite have the exact wing span it needs, and flies backwards. She is 4 years old, but flying forwards is a challenge. She makes a great flyback in the comedy sense because I tried to toss her forward and she just flies backwards in a circle. Not sure what the issue is, but she's healthy and is a good pet.

Sorry to hear about the loss Liam. Nature is a wonderful thing, and knows what it is doing.
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
138 Posts

Profile of WKM
Thanks guys.

As far as I know there are 2 sets of mates in the avairy, as they seem all to have there own prefered broods and nests areas.

I have had a few chicks in 2 or 3 nests over the last 3 years so I don't think that's it, but it may be worth looking at in the future.

Thanks again guys.

Liam
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Baby Birds.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL