The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking Permits (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Does anyone know of any links to a city's ordinance dealing busking permits?

Does a busking permit apply for the whole state or does each city ordinance has it's own permits?

I am not familiar with busking permits because the State of Michigan does not have any. Busking is qualified as "begging" in Michigan.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Everyone makes up their own rules.
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
You will have to check city by city...
Shawn.
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Loyal user
Scottsdale, AZ
248 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
Which is why I suggested (in another thread) a busker-updated online database. While it would pay to do your own due diligence, knowing that Busker Bob was in East Podunk and he found a permit wasn't needed, seems like a good place to start.

Jay Jennings
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
HERE is a thread I started less than a year ago on San Francisco's pilot street performing licensing system. It sucks, but I haven't had much problem with it... yet...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Brad Lancaster
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Brad Lancaster
Dynamike,

Each city is different. For example Holland Michigan is encouraging street performances. You do have to have a license which is only about $10.00.

Brad
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Oh, so it's by city. Thanks guys. Gaddy, I can see San Francisco does have a tough permit to follow.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
The irony is that it's "voluntary" as well as confusing, so few people are participating except, of course, the musicians (the originators of this scheme) -who love not having to fight/compete with the (often scary) other "performers" here in SF for primo spots.

I just ignore it and perform wherever there's a spot, and I move along when a scheduled performer's time comes up.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-08-05 04:35, gaddy wrote:
I just ignore it and perform wherever there's a spot, and I move along when a scheduled performer's time comes up.

Good thinking. That was a clever idea.
knibby
View Profile
New user
Liverpool, England
52 Posts

Profile of knibby
Just wondering if there is any such requirement in the UK does anybody know?
Thanks.
Robin Z
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Robin Z
I just learned that Bern not only forbids you from using most of the good pitches, it also only allows 4 days of busking per month! What's up with that?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Cities like control, buskers are the anthisis (sp) of control, therefore cities try their level best to make it as difficult for buskers as they can without getting into Constitutional areas (which wouldn't apply to Bern anyway, would it?)
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Profile of JohntheMagician
Baltimore is a pain the the backside as well.
I just submitted my application for a permit {$25} and per the application
" Applicants may be asked to meet with
representatives from the Board of Licenses prior to issuance of the license, to send audition tapes and performance information, and /or attend a Street Entertainers Showcase."

But hey it keeps the police off my back so I guess I'll jump thru their hoop for now.
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
<BR>____________________________________________
<BR>WWW.ILLUSIONDELUSION.COM
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Profile of JohntheMagician
Suprise it showed up in the mail today.
Guess the hoop jumping is out, wow something went my way for a change.
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
<BR>____________________________________________
<BR>WWW.ILLUSIONDELUSION.COM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking Permits (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL