The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mugged (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Ed,

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortunes.
Thank the Lord that you weren't seriously hurt.

Tom
"But there isn't a door"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-08-07 12:01, Tom Bartlett wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-08-07 11:33, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-08-06 19:17, Justin Style wrote:
Dang Ed, I thought RI was a nice place? First the bike and now this? How long ago did this happen? and thank God you're alright. What did the cops do? any leads, ever catch the perps? Not that anything would happen anyway...

Not this neighborhood! But it's the only one I can afford (and that barely).

You missed the "tagging" thread I started here awhile ago. Someone came up to me and "tagged" me with a right (no bloody nose there, the guy punched like a pansy).

The cops took a report, but I couldn't identify them so there's not a lot they're going to be able to do.

Ed, it sounds to me, like you are paying an unreasonable price to live where you are. You are lucky living there didn't cost your life. Some things are worth more than money, things like peace of mind and personal safety. I bet you could find a job where you make just as much money as you do there but in a safer neighborhood in another state, if you put out a little effort. Stop being a liberal and take your life into your own hands.

I love people who come up with; "Surely you could do better if you really tried!"

I've been trying. Nobody wants to hire a typesetter/graphic artist at 53. It's simply the truth. The last actual interview I got, they said they were looking for someone "more trainable." That's corporate speak for "you're too old!"

I'm also trying to get something clerical at the hospital where my wife and daughter work. Sadly, they have a rule that if a member of the hospital staff wants a position that's posted, as a member of the Union, they get first crack. My experience (20 years in various clerical positions) is immaterial.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Ed is right about the age thing. It is very difficult to get a job at our age, I know cuz I'm stumbling to two years w/out gainful employement (I worked four months at a place until they violated a regulation that I had a part in getting made into law and I was let go since it was a major conflict of interest and I'm not working for criminals). People say "they can't use age discrimation" but they do. When you have a resume and it shows 30 years of experience the math is pretty easy. Ed, the thing they tell me is "I'm too qualified" or the latest one is "wouldn't you be more comfertable working in a nice office building than in a big warehouse offic?" which would be nice if there was a nice office building w/in three hours driving distance.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Get into Sales. They hire anybody any age. I had to change my career when I moved to San Diego...Sales jobs are a dime a dozen and you can make good bucks. Biz to biz phone work requires a mature approach.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Sales. Sales?

I can see it now, MagicSanta selling Girl Guide cookies door to door ...
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Phone work...as in over the phone...vocal presentation...easier on the Clothing bills.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
You tell them Doug, where there is a will there is a way. I'm 53 also and I could get a job in a good area of town that would keep my family out of harms way today, it might not be the job I want or the pay what I think I'm worth but it would be a job. A home that would cost you $300,000.00 in RI would be less than half that in Oklahoma. Get a smaller house under 1600 sq. ft. and you can buy it cheaper than you can rent a two bedroom apartment and all in a good neighborhood. If there are no jobs where you live, go somewhere else.
Sometimes you have to make sacrifices; you can’t help your family if you get killed for pocket change.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
There's six people in my family, kinda difficult to fit them into two bedrooms.

I already have a job I don't like, why should I look for another one? I want to leave Wal*Mart for a job I would _like_ to do!

Oklahoma? I don't even like the musical that much, much less want to live there!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Try Kentucky...or Missouri. I wish I could! A 30 acre Farm would cost about $150,000 if you check United Country realty online!

Work on the phone and with internet means it doesn't matter where you live.

But Ed...living in an unsafe neighborhood is pretty hard I'm sure but when it becomes getting your ass kicked more than once...that's worth a reimagining of what you can or can't put up with.

6 people in two bedrooms in a SAFE neighborhood means somebody sleeps on the couch. So what. Sacrifices are tough BUT there are those that do not require your life.

6 people in two bedrooms IS an option. Getting injured/killed or other family members being in harms way is NOT an option.

That's all we're saying.

Best to you.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2008-08-07 16:34, ed rhodes wrote:

I already have a job I don't like, why should I look for another one? I want to leave Wal*Mart for a job I would _like_ to do!

Oklahoma? I don't even like the musical that much, much less want to live there!

I'm glad you don't like Oklahoma, we have enough people like you.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Nobody, regardless of their place of residence, deserves to get mugged.

Ed, you were victimised by criminals, not geography. Glad you're okay.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-08-07 17:59, Tom Bartlett wrote:
Quote:

You have people in Oklahoma who didn't like the musical?

I don't even really care for RI, but California and New York are way out of reach.

I'm sorry, I don't care for the mid-West. Those people who do? Blessings on you. You're where you want to be. I don't want to be there.

"Oh well, I'm safe from random violence. I'm miserable, but I'm safe from random violence!"

Quote:
On 2008-08-07 18:32, Leland Stone wrote:
Nobody, regardless of their place of residence, deserves to get mugged.

Ed, you were victimised by criminals, not geography. Glad you're okay.

Thank you Leland, when I read about a guy in Central Falls who got beaten to death, I'm grateful for how my little adventure went out.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
For those keeping score I did leave a very expensive part of the world (San Jose California....1600 sq feet of house? Around $800,000) to a very rural area. No one wants to pay what I made in California which is cool, I will take half. I would move to Oklahoma, it is a beautiful state with wonderful people. My thing is I must have insurance for my wife and cannot allow a break in the insurance or I'd have to make around $160,000 a year just to keep the wife alive....reality sucks huh?
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Quote:
On 2008-08-07 17:59, Tom Bartlett wrote:
Quote:

Ha!

What part of OK you in Tom? I'm in Ft. Gibson, right outside Muskogee.
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
...actually, at one point, I considered Florida as well. But I realized I didn't want to live in Florida per se, I wanted to live in DisneyWorld! As that was hardly practical, I removed it from my list.

OK, add Baltimore, MD to the list of places I won't be interested in moving to!

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/b......y?page=2

(you'll have to "cut and paste," it won't click.

If you want to comment, this is where the thread is.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=32&0
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Ed:

I'm sorry to hear that you got mugged. It's a scary, helpless feeling.

One of the reason I do my walking indoors is that we have a chapter of MS13 and a chapter of the Cholos who have decided my neighborhood is their battleground.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Move to Newport.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Actually, I moved out of Newport. Too stifiling unless you have tons of money.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I love Rhode Island...beautiful state. In fact I loved the Boston area too (my wife is from New Bedford). Too bad they can't get rid of all the people and load in nice Southern folks.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Never mugged...was once robbed at gunpoint by a very professional motel holdup man, though (I was a night auditor). He just flashed the butt of the gun from his jacket pocket, got all the bills from the till and the office cash box, and told me to phone the police from the closed office.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mugged (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL