The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Sleeping Queen by Don Hauss (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Algebra2
View Profile
Regular user
CA
156 Posts

Profile of Algebra2
Anyone know anything about this new realese? The effect which I saw on the Ellusionist website clip-A queen is taken from the deck and magically while waving your fingers over it it goes to sleep, closes it's eyes visually, then reopens them. Sounds very cool, Hauss is the creator of the Flow, another great trick and the Shrinking Finger Trick from Paul Harris presents. Thanks.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
http://papercraneproductions.net/sleepingqueen.htm
Available August 12 from Ellusionist

Quote:
Dan Hauss, the creator of Flow, has created an eerie card illusion that literally brings your magic to life.

In this effect the spectator is shown a queen of spades that can be thoroughly examined. She is asked to place her hand over the queen and imagine her going to sleep. When she removes her hand, seconds later, the queen is sleeping! The magician waves his hand over the deck and the queen begins to wake up from her sleep. This happens slowly and the spectator sees the eyes gradually open. At the end of the effect the spectator can keep the card as a souvenir.

Dan has also decided to include two effects with packs of gum, Rewrapped and Gum Through Wrapper. Both of these effects are visual, practical, easy to perform and have been in Hauss's working repertoire for years.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I posted this on the Ellusionist site and they deleted the post within seconds saying they would check with Brad about it.

Jay Sankey released his HYPERVISUAL DVD earlier this year and he supplied Sleeping Queen gaffs and routines.

Here's Jay's DVD and on the trailer, you see his Sleeping Queen gaff.
http://www.sankeymagic.com/detail.aspx?ID=48153

How can Ellusionist release an effect that Jay Sankey already released as part of a comprehensive gaff card DVD?

Here's E's release: http://www.ellusionist.com/product/dvd+t......n+dvd.do

It's clearly Jay's effect.

Brad Christian should stop this release immediately because it is Jay's effect and was released without his permission.

E should look at the big picture and don't do what "big business" does when they make a mistake and instead of correcting it, make excuses for months before ending up having to do the right thing.

Ellusionist should do the right thing NOW and pull this DVD.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
It says the eyes gradually open, but his hand was covering it, so I couldn't see a thing. Chris, I forgot about Sankey's effect. Looks similar, very similar. What do interest me are the tricks with the gum. They look pretty good.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Brad Christian wrote me about my post being deleted on the Ellusionist site and said Jay has been contacted by the Producer to work things out. Sounds good to me!

ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
Hey everybody this effect uses a entirely different method than Jay's effect. I know that Christopher is a fan of Jay's work and he was trying to look out for a friend, but for him to title this thread the way it is without knowing any details is not cool. I hope I can work this out with Jay and I appreciate Chris's concern but this s definetely not a rip-off. To address some questions about the effect, yes the eyes slowly open, it is not the same method as Jays and yes the gum effects are great too my fav is gum through wrapper. Here is a link to the demo for sleeping queen
Shaun
P3
practice practice perform.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Shaun, I couldn't see the eyes gradually open, his hand covered the whole thing up. Also, do you personally think it makes a difference if the eyes gradually open, or if they just open? Also, you provided no link.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
Sorry http://www.papercraneproductions.net/products.html
I think it makes a big difference. Take an effect like Distortion or any moving pips effect. Sure you can do a c**or Cha*ge and make the pips instantly change but is much more visual to make the pips move slowly.
P3
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Shaun, I've been using Jay's "Sleeping Queen" gaff since Jay released his Hypervisual DVD this year. I saw the demo on the Ellusionist site and it looked the same to me.

I do have a certain affection for Jay's work. I've been performing "Sankey Magic" since the early 1980's, ss a hobby and as a paid performer. So, I'm sure I came off as protective of the Sleeping Queens.

If Jay announces that the effect is not like his and no agreement is reached between himself and Paper Crane, then I'll apologize for raising the issue ( I never used the words rip-off or theft ).

jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Can you make a better demo so I can see the eyes gradually open? The hand covers the card and I can't see anything.
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
1261 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Hmmm. Like Christopher, I'm also a long time fan of Jay Sankey since the time both of us had a lot more hair. I'm quite familiar with Jay's "Sleeping Queen" gaff. Don't use it myself but I have it.
So it seems to me this all turns on the word "gradual". It is certainly possible for it to be "gradual." If it is then a tip of the hat to Don Hauss. Great idea.
But if it isn't then . . . hmmmmm.
And judging from the demo I saw on the Ellusionist site, Christopher's post is entirely "cool."
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I have Sankeys version & use it a lot for walkaround great effect ! I think the ad stating the eyes visualy open is just hype .
MagiKsticky
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of MagiKsticky
I have Jay's Sleeping Queen gaff too... It looks exactly the same as in the ellusionist video.

And I agree with Tophatter. The eyes visually opening is hype! I can't wait to see this all pan out.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Shaun ( Ted French ) said above he's trying to work it out with Jay. That means there's aknowledgemnt of Jay's work and a desire to make it right. If Jay gives his blessing on the release, all is cool.

niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
If the eyes visually open why the hand moving above the queen? Can it be done without the hand? Then I am really hooked.

And even before Jay Sankey's Hypervisual DVD, he had the sleeping queen released as a stand alone effect.
Yours,

Ivan
R. Dunn
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of R. Dunn
The video seems to be taken down.

it could only be ellusionist..lol.
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
I seem to remember the E website said a 10 second setup, and you could get the effect as an instant download. My impression was that you gaff something yourself as opposed to receiving a gaff. Seems like a cool effect but relies on the spectators having to lean in very close in order to see the change. Some people have bad eyesight, so this type of effect won't play well for them. Also wouldn't do to well in a darkened venue. I have used a variation of an old idea for awhile that was inspired by Jay Sankey and Richard Sanders to reach a similar effect.

In their book, When Creators Collide, there is an effect where 2 queens sandwhich a selection. In the routine, you take a marker and draw a little blindfold over the queens. I took the idea and worked it so that the blindfold resembles a sleeping mask. I introduce the deck and whisper to the spectator ,"Shhh! You don't want to wake the queen. She will get up in a few seconds but if she gets up to early she's cranky." I remove the queen with the blindfold on her. Just by shaking the deck, the blindfold is now seen on her forehead. "Now that she's awake, let's do some magic!" It is a sweet opener that doesn't require any audience participation. My handling of it is going to be in an ebook project slated for later this year.

Anyways, back to the original tangent, I haven't actually seen the workings of Dan's effect. Maybe the method is different.

DO
do magic

www.8bom.net
R. Dunn
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of R. Dunn
I agree about with donny about the effect being small and people have to lean in to see. It might be a case of some seeing it and the others going..huh?
papercrane
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
152 Posts

Profile of papercrane
To clarify: the effect was created by DAN HAUSS not Don. We filmed most of this at night and people did not have a problem seeing the effect, even with five people gathered around. People may need to lean in to see the effect but many of our spectators did not. Check out this link to the demo and watch it in high quality full screen. http://www.vimeo.com/1444117
This effect uses an entirely different method than Jay Sankey's. No specialty cards are needed and no card switches happen.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
I am confused are people complaining about having people lean in? Really, people may have to lean in forget its not worth it. Well the eyes do slowly open, that's all I can say. Paper Crane Productions would not have released this if it was not something practical visual and unique.
P3
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Sleeping Queen by Don Hauss (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL