The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » cups and balls help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kara
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of kara
My boyfriend is a magician and is teaching me magic. I'm working on cups and balls right now, but I'm interested in changing the routine he showed me. I want to make the performance much better. He says he showed me the Mark Wilson routine, just to let you know what my current endeavors are. Thank you Smile Smile
Kara McCarthy
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Well what do you want to accomplish that the current routine does not?
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
The Wilson routine is to introduce beginners to the cups and balls. There are a lot of good, cheap books which have more advanced ideas. My favourite is Rafael Benatar video on A-1.
In general, Vernons routine is the most popular.
Other posts will tell you of Ammars book and videos, which although good, are expensive and not as clear as they should be.
Paul Gertners in Silver and Steel is very good also.
There are probably cheap beginners tapes and second hand pamphlets if you look around. Ask at your local magic shop or P M me.
Good Luck ________-Eddie
odroj88
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of odroj88
I agree Rafael Benatar's video is great and so is Steel and silver, however, these might be a little advanced for the beginner. Although if you are willing to put in the practice time these tapes can really help you to take your routine to the next level.

John Mendoza and Gazzo also have some nice material on the cups and balls. And as Eddie said I would say (lol), the Ammar tapes and book are great especially if you are a beginner because they show all of the beginner moves as well as the most advanced wand spins and cup moves etc.

I think this series is great, however, if the price is a little to steep just get the book. I also think they are well produced and all routines and moves clearly explained. What do you find unclear about them Eddie? Maybe I missed something.
Odrj88
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I started with the Wilson routine. I modified the patter to be more interactive, and have modified the ball transfer sleights to my liking. I use this routine all the time. It is very practical in that it works out of your pockets and is relatively easy to pull off.

I have also been performing a Chop Cup & Balls routine called the Mendoza Cups & Balls by John Mendoza ($6.50 booklet). It's down-side is that it requires that you work out of a sitting position. It's up-side is that you never execute a false transfer in your hands. It is a very magical routine and is a lot of fun to do, but requires a lot of practice.

Michael Ammar teaches his C&B routine in his Book "The Magic of Michael Ammar."

My recomendation for you would be:

Buy your own copy of Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic book. Work your current cups & balls routine into a showpiece, and try a couple of other routines (coins, money, ropes, etc..) from Wilsons book. This will give you some practical routines to build on.

Enjoy,

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
MAGICALKORI
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of MAGICALKORI
I have been practicing a trick with cups and balls and I seem to have that move down. I would like to learn more about more tricks. Does anyone know where I can learn them? Smile
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Here is a video from Hampton Ridge:

TWENTY-FIVE TRICKS WITH CUPS AND BALLS

It's very good and costs $10 everywhere except at Daytona Magic where it's $8.

It should get you started. The Ammar book is excellent as well.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
If your into a wild and flashy juggling type of routine, Aldo Colombini's Mama Mia Magic video has a very different aproach. I like Ammar's and Dai Vernon's pacing better for my performance. But I play with Aldo's moves all the time.
-Josh
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
The cups and balls are a classic because there is not a set way that they have to be performed. The basic set is just 3 cups and "3" balls and normally, unless you are using a chop cup, they are ungimmicked in any way.
The methodology used in presenting the effect can be limited to basic sleights such as the ones used in the Mark Wilson routine, or can include pulls and complex sleeving such as Tim Ellis uses in Runaround Sue.
I believe the Wilson course is a good place to start developing the rhythm of misdirection. The Stephens Magic series tape has a nice collection of performers presenting their routines and how they work, including a young Michael Ammar. It's not the best tape for learning a specific routine, but can give you a good overview of ideas different people have brought to the cups and balls.
kara
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of kara
Thank you all! Smile
Kara McCarthy
mjb16
View Profile
Loyal user
Ossining, New York
208 Posts

Profile of mjb16
Michael Ammar's video and book series, which cover's most moves of the C&B. You would have to come up with your own routine from these moves. He does show some basic routines though. In the book he goes over his routine, but there is only a performance of his routine on the video, if I am not mistaken.

You should also check out Carl Andrew's table hopping C&B. It's short and sweet!

The Aldo Colombine C&B is very good too, and so is Alex Elmsley's C&B on volume 4 of his Tahoe Session Videos.

Cheers!
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Bob Read has a hilarious, offbeat routine. Also, David Williamson and Tommy Wonder both have routines using just 2 cups, if you want to shake things up a bit.
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
kara
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of kara
hmm thanks all for all your help Smile Smile Smile Smile
Kara McCarthy
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1448 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
I agree with Josh. Aldo Colombini's handling is extremely unique. He has some different routines in different videos but I vote for the same: Mamma mia magic. Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
366 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
I am looking for a cup set large enough to hide my ego. Do any of you recommend a brand?

ATPG
------------

We could have been practicing!
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Gazzo's Street Cups. http://magicpitch.com

You could hide just about anyone's ego in a single cup!

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » cups and balls help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL