We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What's a decent hat? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Wayne Whiting
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Wayne Whiting
Yes, Chris talks about the streets on his 3-ring DVD, how working the streets 12-16 hours a day gave him lots of practice. Rumor is he also put those kids through college. Now that is impressive. Working NYC in the winter??? Better stick to the restaurants.
Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Thomas Edison

www.terrylagerold.com
magic924
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magic924
Haha the winter is my real concern. Probably need to make some connections for a some restaurant and private party jobs. Thanks for the input. Now I need to get out and do it.
mattcramer.com
buildupmusclefast.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-08-09 06:09, gaddy wrote:
In his lecture notes Chris Capehart breaks it down by the numbers so that he made 1500 dollars a week busking in NYC. Looking at those notes now, I see that he was really busting his arse -working the streets 10 hours a day and moving to different spots for different crowds at different times of day.

Yea, I saw that too. The amount really got my attention. But the hours are the hard part. I want to use a PA to keep my voice from getting hoarse.
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
Normally you don't ask a performer how much he makes .. I guess in America it's diffrent, but I've heard if you do this in Europe they will feel very offended.

It's good to know though - Just to know whether or not your making the money you should be making (I feel I'm not) .. but than again I'm greedy

Depending on the time of day and the crowd my show pays diffrent.. durin the day in the hot sun your pitchin pennies..

but usually anywhere from $70-100 for a 15 minute show..

for the small side walk act - 5-10 mins, anywhere from $20-60

so this is what my show pays but of course I work every day, and I try to bang out 8 hours like a real job.

of course theres so many variables that determine how well a shows gonna pay .. if your a good performer I think you should be able to calculate an idea of how much a pitch pays - and how well the crowds are by 'profiling' the area.. ... look at the speed their walking ... are they having a good time, or are they in a hurry? ... are they wearing normal clothes or beach clothes (if your at a beach, and they are in their swim suits they more than likely aren't carrying cash).... do they have shopping bags in their hand? ... etc, etc..

just my 2 sents.
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
Wayne Whitin why are you buyin a spool of rope for $30 ...

I do cut and restored rope in my show, and I'm workin 8-10 hours a day so 100ft goes by real quick.. usually in less than a week.. 30 bucks a week on rope would be a little rough.

go to wal Mart and get 100ft of clothes line for 2 bucks. .
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1074 Posts

Profile of gallagher
This talk of money always turns my stomach. I was really hoping for a good `Hat´ discussion. Manipulation. Moves. Preparations,.. and Fakes. Instead,... this. Hey Magic924, why don´t use just head on over to the Wall Street, and go to school there?! There you can also make people, similar to yourself (Financial Worry Warts) smile,... happy,... and `secure´.

Sorry, I guess this is kind of a personal thing with me,.... my Profession,.. my Art,... my way of life,.... being calculated.,.. being refined to money, Prostituted. pfuuuu.

so, let´s start talking about how great Jimmy´s `Arm in the Hat Trick´ is!!

gallagher
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
I have only been busking for a short time; 2 summers in Boston Common... and only part time...
(I work a full time job 50 hrs a week and am a full time student with a 4 year old son)

So I have really only been out on the street about 10 - 15 times in my life...

I would say an average hat for me is $15 or $20.. For a 15 to 20 min show.
If the conditions are right I can work 4 hours and make $100... I've done that twice..

But I am just a weekender... I'm sure if I had more time on the street those numbers would go up..

I would say if you are devoted... You could pull in $1500 - $2000 a month in NY... But to start out I would probably go for a Part time a Starbucks too, at least until you get comfortable...

Shawn
Shawn.
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1403 Posts

Profile of MDantes
I agree with gallagher.

Jimmy is a great guy... I think his arm in the hat trick is awesome...

Back onto hats.

WHat is a decent size hat for a melon load?

I prefer fedora type hats, but would love to hear suggestions...
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1074 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hi xjesterx,... hope I pronounced that right! Nice hearing from you. Thankx.

Hey, I´m using a Bowler (Melone). I´ve found a guy over here, who makes them in different colors AND different weights! This is really nice. Cause, to manipulate with, especially out of doors, a little bit of weight helps. Still it´s not overly `big´. It looks like a `normal man´s hat´. The manipulative hats, from Nils Polls, are great for manipulation,... but they look weird wearing. It´s kinda like wearing a juggling prop around, on your head!

I was reading in some old magic books, from the 20´s and 30´s; there were a collection of Magical Illussions using hats. Especially, Fedoras. In those days, men wore hats, magic was done with them. One book, "200 tricks by Thurston", had a nice little collection. Stuff like, `Cigar thru the Hat´, `Cards thru the Hat´, ect.

It´s nice seeing what Jimmy is doing, with an average, unprepared hat! Man, he opens doors!!
All the best,
gallagher
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1403 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Right on...

I would love the read that book... would you mind posting the title?

I am more of a Fedora man... I am on the hunt for a decent, deep crowned performing fedora... but I may have to stick with a bowler....
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1403 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Reckon a Nil Poll hat is alright?
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1403 Posts

Profile of MDantes
I wonder if the Losander Floating cap would work with a fedora or bowler?

anyone know?
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
Airave
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
137 Posts

Profile of Airave
A decent Hat must not be expensive.

My very best and favorite I bought in Toscana,
impulsively and for about $15. Gallagher has seen
me wearing it. Everyone loves me when I wear it.

It is straw colored with a black band,
which passes with my ever present black
pants and tee (under jacket or SS shirt).

Pure Italian!

In cold or rainy weather I loves my black
felt Cowboy Hat. Rocks Western.

Ghetto stylin' I prefer (black) TombRaider caps,
or ones just black w/o any logo. (PM me if you
are seriously into TR and want to know why my
Daughter is named Lara!)

Aside from that a friend of mine (from way back)
said he got a little above minimum wage busking*
in Eugene Oregon- without any real stand-out skills
musically or personality-wise. Whatever that is worth.
Beats washing dishes, one would think. But that was
like at the few available hours at Saturday & Farmers
Markets. And only "in-season", as it were. your mileage
may vary. And certainly will.

(*playin' guitar)
acephale
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of acephale
Two hats I love right now:

This summer I bought a Bailey's Monroe. Too light for a lot of manipulation, but for a large hat load it is pure heaven, the weave of the hat gives a slight grip to the cantaloupe, coconut, whatever you want to use, to the point it's ridiculously easy to use a one-handed grip on the outside of the hat and not worry whatsoever about it slipping or sliding. As a side bonus, Bailey seems to be the one hat manufacturer you can order from without worry, their hat sizes are dead on. That and it's a dream hat for hot weather.

Jaxon Hats are kick ***, their Dead Man topper is beautiful with a low crown, but they tend to be just a touch large on their sizing, so make sure you deal with a vendor that will swap sizes at no cost if you can't find a place to try them on in person. It's stiff so you can do good manipulation, but definitely you're not going to grip a large hat load through the side of it.
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1403 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Thanks ace...

do you do a hat load?

What size can be done with the Monroe?

thanks for sharing airave...
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
acephale
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of acephale
I've done a hat load with a large cantaloupe using that hat. I've never done a melon because I carry all my stuff with me on public transportation, and carrying around a melon just doesn't seem like a lot of fun, but I'm pretty sure that anything you could fit under a bowler would fit under those as well. Truth be told I stole a bit from Frank Starsini and use a coconut that I drained the milk from for the final hat load. The way it bangs onto the table is completely satisfying and I owe him drinks for that.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1074 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Just a thought,... no I´m not playing the Magic Cups,.. but I´ve always thought it might be cool to see a HEAD apear, as the Hat is lifted. Wouldn´t be so hard. I´d probably play with a `full mask´ filled with a sponge-ball similar foam. Along those lines; producing something LARGER then the Hat, would also be pretty cool. Kind of a `double wammy´. Again, spring or foam loaded. Any thoughts? A telefon would be sweet!

OK, while I´m at it,...why not `a Hat in a Hat´? Know what I´m getting at? You lift the Hat,... there´s another Hat! Lift the second Hat,... there´s the load,.. or?,..

Has anyone played with `Prepared Hats´? A Fedora with a slit in the crown, for example? A four inch slit,.. you can steal a lot from a Topit. A one inch slit,... you can poke your finger thru,...,.. Silk penatrations,..ahh they look so nice thru a Hat.

,... would also be the perfect place to show-off your Flea Circus,.. OK; I´ll stop for now,... geeze,...once we get going! But let me know about Hat Preparation Ideas,.. I´m hot.

Hey, all the best,
gallagher
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
828 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Just had a look at Jaxon Hats... you know.. I've been looking for a spare for myself for AGES. Eventually found a shop while I was in Edinburgh, and ordered two - a red topper, and (I think..) a red fedora, similar to the one in my pic.
I bought the one in the pic some years back on eBay, for around $15, and I've lived in fear ever since.. it's a big target when performing with drunks.. Seems EVERYONE wants to try it on..
I think I'll order a couple from Jaxons as backups.

Cheers!

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1074 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Deadcat,.. THAT IS A GREAT LOOKING HAT!!!,... did the beard come with it??,... or two pounds extra?? You got style man.

all the best,
gallagher
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
What do you say to people who want to try on your hat? Everytime I say no they get grabby. I stopped wearing a hat.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What's a decent hat? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL