We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnotism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Rodan
View Profile
New user
Sydney Australia
65 Posts

Profile of Rodan
Here in New South Wales (Australia) Hypnotherapy and Stage Hypnosis are permitted. There is no registration.
I was lucky enough to do a training in Hypnotherapy with Ormond a few years back and as part of the course he did a stage show.
Blew the socks off everyone there.
His books are full of gems as has been noted above by others.Particularly for Stage workers. He has heaps of suggestions for presentation which are useful for any performer. Including dealing with 'nerves' etc., using self hypnosis.
Erickson's therapeutic techniques were unique to the man. He 'read' people beautifully and was powerful in his presentation. Whole schools have built up based on his work.

If you are interested in the experiences of an experienced worker and the funny and not so funny things that happen on stage, see if you can find a copy of "Sleep you *****s" By Martin St.James. He's a famous Australian Stage Hypnotist.

Also if you want the real stuff on speed inductions and fantastic therapeutic techniques, find anything by the late Dave Elman.
"To assert the impossibility of a fact comes to the same thing as saying that it has not as yet been observed; nothing authorises us to decide that it will never be observed." Joseph Maxwell 1858-1938
Fon
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
200 Posts

Profile of Fon
I have to agree "The New Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism" by Ormond McGill is a fab book for a beginner

Fon
Always thinking..........?
Stevosapprentice
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Stevosapprentice
I would Have to recomend The How-To-Book of Hypnosis by Tom Silver and Ormand. I think it is excilent. I got it 3 days ago and I have already made someone unable to bend their arm. It was amazing. It is a very good book and I wish you luck. Smile
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
Years ago I read Bob Baker's book THEY CALL IT HYPNOSIS. He is very skeptical and claims hypnosis per se doesn't exist, but all thru his book I couldn't help asking myself what it was he was talking about that allegedly didn't exist. In other words, they call ?WHAT? hypnosis. What is the "it" he's talking about & wrote a book on?
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Quote:
On 2001-10-02 09:43, JaquaiGul wrote:
Start with the "tricks" that seem like hypnosis. You must convince people that you have the power. Once they believe, you can talk them into anything. Last Christmas my wife’s office had a professional stage hypnotist perform at the Christmas party. He bombed because no one believed he could do it to them.

I don't think that was the reason he bombed. Who knows he may have been pretty bad. Or more likely there was either a small audience or everyone knew each other.

When everyone knows each other sometimes they are much more reluctant to be hypnotised. And you can't generally (although there are exceptions) hypnotise anyone against their will. Smile

There are other variables to like social class etc.

Quote:
On 2001-12-31 08:02, DenDowhy wrote:
Jon,

Hypnotism is not Magic. It is an art form which can be used for good. The hardest thing I have to do is convince people hypnosis is real and it is not what people have preconceived ideas about from stage performances. (Hence, the dislike from Professional Hypnotists.)

Once one believes Hypnosis is a "trick" to make others act like ducks, lovers, dogs, etc., they cease to believe hypnosis can do good in many areas, especially in the motivational area. It’s like telling people penicillian is Magic.

There is a big difference in what is real and what is humor, especially when a known medical usage of Hypnosis is destroyed by those who play with it as a joke.

When it comes to making money, I refuse to use my talents as Hypnotist for entertainment purposes, that is my choice. I just know if anyone of them were asked if they would like to use hypnosis to correct a problem or habit, or for motivational training, they would think of your show.

It would be hard to convince them otherwise of the value of Hypnosis.

It’s a difference of opinion, and that’s all it is, an opinion.

I respect your opinion but in my experience I find the exact opposite. While doing hypnosis shows I get quite a number of requests to work with members of the audience. I personally believe without stage hypnotism the public would not know about hypnosis and therapists would not be in business. They owe the awareness that the public have about hypnosis to the stage worker.

Ive never ever had a problem with convincing anyone that hypnosis is not a trick or that it will help them overcome a problem. When someone comes to me for therapy the whole emphasis is on their problem and how to overcome it. Hypnosis is just one of the tools I use nothing more. And by the time they have left they are in no doubt I really just don't see a problem there. Perhaps you try to much to convince people about hypnosis rather than focusing on the real outcome?

As for motivational training etc....these are two different markets and require two different approaches. It's a marketing problem that's all.

Quote:
On 2001-11-07 13:06, yakandjak wrote:
Alright, I’ll ask. What’s a galavonic skin thingy and does it have a fetzer valve? Smile Smile Smile

It's a completely useless piece of (just my opinion) equipment..a more skilled hypnotist would get much more information by observing non verbals. And depth of trance isn't the main factor in the success of treatment.

While books are good for background you really can't beat a good training course.The only way to really learn hypnosis is to invest in a series of training courses by different organisations with different approaches.

Then your books will become much more valuable to you.

Quote:
On 2001-12-31 10:07, p.b.jones wrote:
Hi,

I was interested to read that you had certification in hypnotism. How did you get this? In our country (UK) and I thought it was the same there in the US, there is no official qualification (goverment accredited)

only non-accredited by self appointed organizations which are not really a qualification at all just a Scam. You might just as well make up an organization and print the certificate yourself, in much the same way you can buy doctorates in virtually any subject you like for a few pounds/dollars.

Am I wrong about this?

phillip

Basically what you say is true that at this time there is no formally recognised certifications. But there are some good schools and some good training courses out there. After that its up to you how you continue to develop your skills.

Many insurance companies recognise certificates and will insure you for public liability. You can also get a NHS or Bupa reg number so that Doctors may refer their patients to you.

So although what you say is true it is slowly becoming accepted in the mainstream. I have had referals from Doctors although up till now not on NHS. I've had doctors as clients to.

A good hypnotist doesn't create any reliance on either himself or a machine. You don't need a machine to relax. There are many hypnotic and meditative techniques that do that without the aid of a machine. If you want to incorporate a machine in your sessions to tell your clients that they are relaxing then that's fine. But that is the only use for one.

Training someone to go into trance or meditatve states by listening to their own inner processes is much more useful and fosters no reliance whatsoever.

There are dangers associated with hypnosis. Some people can react badly on stage. Some people are very difficult to wake up. I have heard of ambulances being called because the hypnotist couldn't waken the subject out of trance. Ok the worst thing to happen is that they will go into natural sleep eventually and wake up feeling fine. But I think its a good idea that anyone thinking of moving into this field should seek out some training first. Apart from the safety aspect it could be lead to some very embaressing situations happening.

And if Hypnosis doesn't exist how do you explain complete amnesia after someone has had the "trance" terminated? Is it an every day experience to have no recall what so-ever for the previous two hours? A situation that occurs frequently. At least in my experience. Smile

Of course people like Kreskin will say it doesn't exist or he wouldn't be able to make a living from it.

In some respects it is a normal state to a hypnotist who practices it on a daily basis. The "mysticism" has gone. There are so many incredible things we take for granted in t hs world only because they happen everyday.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Experience - YES! Training - YES! Dangerous - NO, except where there is a continuing perpetuation of the myths of hypnosis including how dangerous it can be. Unqualifies so-called therapists are dangerous as are unqualified duffers onb stage, but not the actual, REAL process of hypnosis.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/abstagecraft
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Yes I agree....hypnosis is not dangerous. But there are dangers in mis-management of subjects on stage and in the therapy context.

While in trance it is easy for someone to be hurt physically while doing a "stunt", or falling off a stage. It did happen over here and the theatre was sued for a lot of cash. I think the damage was a fractured hip.

In therapy it easy for an unexperienced therapist to awaken strong negative feelings that have been buried away and not know how to deal with them.

It's not special ...just like the sun rising and the sun setting everyday. Or your heart beating away.. pumping the blood through your viegns....thats not special...thats so easy you don't even have to think about it. Smile
Peter695
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Peter695
As evidence of the existence of hypnosis, I would think that hypno-anesthesia would be a more compelling arguement than some I see presented. Still anecdotal, but a bit stronger than some. Or the Esdaile state could be offered as more than or different from the usual state.

Either way, there is some interesting therapeutic work being done with those living with chronic conditions to either heal or increase substantially, the quality of life of the client.

To address the original poster's question, http://www.omnihypnosis.com and http://www.kevinhogan.com offer good tapes on the use of hypnosis as a therapeutic tool. http://www.donmottin.com offers a set of tapes aimed at those wishing to learn stage hypnosis.

Peter
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
Special state or no special state of consciousness, it IS a state of consciousness---on that everyone seems to agree. Everyone, that is, except the Baker Bunch. Maybe I'm wrong, but I got the impression from reading Baker's book that he & his cohorts deny that ANY state different from so-called "normal" consciousness exists or CAN exist. You have only to read Willaim James to realize that so-called "normal" consciousness is only ONE form of consciousness available to us all, and---as someone here says in their signature---just because you can't detect it now doesn't mean you'll NEVER be able to detect it.
And yet again, WHAT is the state or lack of state, or condition or lack of condition, that the Baker Boys refuse to call "hypnosis" ? And WHY are they so vehement in their objections to the term "hypnosis"? What term would they use instead?
I'm still asking the question "They call WHAT hypnosis?"
openatlast
View Profile
New user
Shadow of the Castle
74 Posts

Profile of openatlast
the biggest danger lies in potential lawsuits for the embarassing stuff hypnotists put their subjects through on stage.
Peter695
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Peter695
Openatlast,

Which hypnotist(s) have you seen put their participants through "embarrasing stuff"?

Peter
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
Couldn't "close your eyes and imagine" be construed as an induction? Back in the 70s when I worked for a biomedical research firm, I devised what I called a "Nine Word Induction". I've never told it to anyone. It's not enough to make a "book" or even an instruction sheet out of, except maybe by adding the explanation of why it works. On top of that, since it's so short, it's bound to be bandied about almost instantly. Perhaps someone writing a new hypnosis book would include it. Anybody?
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
One of the biggest objections by qualified "Hypno" people is that "Hypnosis" is a misnomer coming from the greek word "hypnos" meaning "sleep" which hypnosis is the furthest thing from it. While hypnosis DOES in fact exist, the media has mislead the public into beleiving what it isn't. That is the biggest problem facing true practitioners at this time.

It is for this reason that it is b3est explained that "Hypnosis and the hypnotic trance as most people have been lead to beleive does not exist!"

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/abstagecraft
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
xersekis
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of xersekis
I'll offer my two cents.

Hypnosis is not a state. States don't exist. We call things states but we are in error.
It is normal human functioning or normal human processes at work.

For example what we call the sleep state. That which some people manage to get 8 or more hours of - is not a static or steady state but a process. It begins moves through cycles and ends or terminates in normal waking consciousness - which is not a static state either but comprised of processes. In normal waking consciousness we are able to concentrate, be distracted, remember and forget things, and progress through a variety of emotions - also not states but processes. They arise and subside by a combination of kinesthetic sensations within our body, our mind, our awareness. We tend to label them as anger, happiness, frustration, sadness but they are not things. Nor is hynosis a thing.

A good hypnotist is simply one who is able to direct attention and direct these processes helping lead people into areas they normally go in and out of through out any day. It is the utilization of these processes for a directed purpose - either therapy and self imporvement or for entertainment and stage shows.

Some different principles may apply in the use for stage or for therapy but can be utilized in both.

This is why the hypnosis - it exists or it doesn't is a meaningless argument. It is used by those who consider hypnosis a thing - like a chair or a table. It isn't.

It is the ability to direct and focus one's attention and senses (thoughts, behaviors, abilities) toward the accomplishment of a task within a given time frame. It is natural and we do it all by ourselves anyway.

When someone else is directing us we call it hetrohypnosis - implying there is a director and a follower. The "hypnotist" has no power over the follower or subject - but a very skilled hypnotist can do a many great things utilizing suggestion to aid or benefit another person.

In the same way that con men can convince unsuspecting people to believe just about anything - that is not unlike what is done with hypnotism. The difference being that with hypnosis for self change etc. it doesn't start with the premise that a con does - that it is untrue.

Hypnotists merely work with common processes to everyone - only they are more skilled in knowing how to work with these processes and suggestion than the average person.

I hope this makes sense. 2 cents by Rex

Enjoy!
Peter695
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Peter695
This is a subject that may possibly never be proven in any conventional way. Rex brought up a good model when he introduced the idea that thoughts are not real. Actually, when a thought occurs, there is a molecular event that takes place and the thought is as real as neuropeptides. But is it REAL?

All of the definitions of reality, hypnosis, state differences etc. change and shift according to, in part, context. The boundaries and definitions are soft.

Allow me to illustrate. Put a fish in a tank with a glass partition in the middle, (or anywhere). The fish learns this boundary by bumping into it. Remove the partition and the fish will continue to respect the boundary as if the partition were still there. Now is the boundary real? If the fish swims quickly into the now only cognitive boundary, will that set off a chain of internal events that will result in a bruise on the nose of the fish? Quite possibly. Is the boundary real? If you measure the reaction of the fish, differences in it's chemical balance that match those differences that were there when the fish actually swam into the partition, is it real?

Is the placebo effect real?

The other issue that is almost always presented when discussing hypnosis is that of control. I would argue that the hypnotist does have a great deal of influence with the participant. Well, does a cognitive therapist have control? Probably. Does an M.D. have control? Sure. All the control a client or patient are willing to give them. Is all of this powerfull? Yup. A lot of it depends on the experience that the fish had with the partition. Did he hit it with full force the first time or did his tail brush up against it? In other words, something is going on. And, yes, changes from one state to the next have been measured.

If you really want to have a discussion about the reality of nearly anything, you have to have some ground level agreements to get anywhere. Otherwise the discussion sounds something like: "Is not". "Is too"...

If you agree that the tools available to measure brain activity, skin differences, chemistry of the body are valid, then hypnosis exists. If you agree that certain anecdotal evidence is acceptable such as anaesthesia, reduction of bleeding, phobia management, the management of chronic pain, then you must agree that hypnosis is real.

Weather or not it comes down to premature cognitive commitment or not doesn't play either. That may be a large portion of most sessions involving hypnosis, but it just doesn't explaing it away.

Thanks for the air time.

Peter
xersekis
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of xersekis
Hey nice offering on PCC and the nature of reality Peter.

As a clarification - when I say they don't exist I don't mean they aren't real - or percieived as real. I mean we have mislabelede them or as you aptly point out make a premature cognitive commitment about the nature of them.

An incorrect label causes us to look and notice things along a certain set of parameters, just as a correctly applied label does. But the outcome may be very different because of what we use to operationalize our "look into"

We are governed by our perceptions and whether they are actually real or merely percieved as real may not matter at all.

After all believing is seeing and vice versa.

Again very nice articulation Peter I enjoyed it very very much.

Enjoy!
Rex
Peter695
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Peter695
Thanks Rex.

I took license.

I really thought you meant that thoughts are intangible, not palpable.

You're the master on this thread.

Peter

("PCC" - Philosophy, Cosmology and Conciousness)?
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
You could argue that states don't exist however it is useful to label certain processes as nominalized states.

For example you can learn from someones' external behaviour that they are in an "angry state" and adjust your behaviour accordingly. Likewise on stage participants do go through certain "states" which can be observed and used to the performers advantage. States exist or don't exist according to whatever model of the world you may be using at any particular time. Nominalization and De-nominalization are both useful depending upon the context.

Con men can persuade their victims to believe certain ideas may be true and can create deep rapport with them. However inducing complete amnesia for what has gone on for two hours previously or any of the other classic hypnotic phenomena is something very different. IMO
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
Rex,I could be wrong about this, but you seem to be defining a "state" as meaning the same thing as "static". Calling it a "process" is probably more accurate. I just assumed that everyone understood that "states" included "processes" and that reality per se (which is to say, perception per se) is constantly changing. *That's* the only thing unchanging about any "state" of consciousness or of anything else, the fact that it's constantly changing.
Am I making any sense? Please correct me if I'm wrong...
The Bear
View Profile
New user
Essex, UK
71 Posts

Profile of The Bear
I think to some extent we are playing with semantics when using the word 'state'. I certainly agree with Rex that hypnosis is not a 'thing', but I do feel it's useful to use the phrase 'state of hypnosis' in a similar sense to when we might say 'state of depression' or 'state of elation'.

I'm unsure whether hypnosis actually constitutes an altered state of consciousness, in the strict scientific sense, but a study done by Stanford and Harvard universities seems to support state theorists to some degree.
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/news/report......-96.html
There are two types of people in the world. Those that divide the world into two types of people, and those that don't.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnotism (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL