The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Why is little mentioned of Jeff Sheridan? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I thought Jeff Sheridan was one of the best street buskers. I did purchase his book about 15 years ago. Jeff McBride mentions his name on at least one of his DVDs. Chris Capehart also mentions him in his lecture. Why is he mentioned so little?
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
I don't think he's mentioned little.
I also don't know if he is currently performing?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Hard to talk about a guy I've never seen perform or read anything he's written. Isn't he living in Germany now?
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
While I have respect for the guy for the paths he paved in the way of street performing, I have reservations about the man.

A few years ago he came out with a set of instructional DVD's. I attended one of his lectures and was excited to meet one of the pioneers in street performing. I was upset to discover what a pompous individual he actually is. He stated that due to the way playing cards are made now, no true card manipulater has worked with cards since the (not sure, but I think he said sometime in the 80's). Regardless, it's been some time that any real card manipulator has worked. And yet I see Jeff McBride manipulating cards every year.

At another point in the lecture another full time professional performer made a comment about another way one of his effects could be performed. He took offense to the remark and a casual comment turned into a challenge by Sheridan for the performer to come up and show how his suggestion makes the routine better than it already is. The performer showed class by not arguing with Sheridan only stating that he was suggesting an alternative handling. This incident seemed to leave a sour taste in many of the lecture attendees.

I mean, even look at the title of his DVDs: "Genius At Work."
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
I could see his concern. He is being paid to teach HIS methods and effects.
Why would anyone , especially a "professional" suggest alternate handlings of something he has used for years and is being paid to teach during one of HIS lectures?
I cannot discern from your written comment what his statement concerning card maniplulation may or may not be addressing. Jeff McBride was I beleive a student of Sheridans and I find it unlikely Mr. Sheridan would imply McBride is lacking in card manipulation skill or presentation.
I have Sheridans excellent video/DVD series which was named by the productuion company, not Sheridan.

I would like to read more about Mr. Sheridan as I admire his work. I hope to soon purchase the book DynaMike referred to.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2008-08-10 05:35, gaddy wrote:
Hard to talk about a guy I've never seen perform or read anything he's written.

Yet it hasn't stopped you or anyone else on this thread from doing so ( including myself).

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I've seen one of Mr. Sheridan's lectures around the time the videos came out. I was already to like him. I thought, and still think, he was an extraordinary performer. But after he called one of the attendees "stupid" and went on about "stupid questions" I found myself thinking he was one of the singularly most unpleasant persons I've had the opportunity to spend time around. It wasn't a situation when anyone was suggesting improvements or anything, just an honest, ordinary question. There are a lot of stories like EvilDan's and mine. He may not have named the videos, but they pretty accurately reflect his self image. You may not like hearing about this, Manal, but it IS my experience (and one similar to the experiences of quite a few other folks as well).

That being said, his book (which he didn't write, by the way) is a fantastic read. He's also an amazing thinker, artist and performer.

Mark

PS If you've read the book, or are going to read it soon, you might be looking forward to this as much as I am: http://educatingraven.blogspot.com/2008/07/man-on-wire.html
What would Wavy do?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-08-10 13:44, manal wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-08-10 05:35, gaddy wrote:
Hard to talk about a guy I've never seen perform or read anything he's written.

Yet it hasn't stopped you or anyone else on this thread from doing so ( including myself).

I have not said one word about him, except that I thought he was living in Germany.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
He was the first magician I got to see perform in Central Park. It still stays with me. If in fact he is such a difficult person, I'm glad I didn't get to know him at the time.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
That would be nine words then. Magicians are so sensitve.

Must be the artist within us.

As far as whether or not I like hearing something, it has little effect upon me, ( actually none).

I would of course that everyone one was freindly and kind, forgiving....

I was wondering why we don't hear about Harry Andersons busking days.I guess maybe because it was a very different world in the days when Sheridan and Anderson busked.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
Hmmm.... don't hear about Harry Anderson's busking days? Yet last night myself and a large number of Asheville based magicians ( our club actually had a "busking night") were out busking on Pack Square when Harry turned up... tipped well ( a real gent) and stayed a while to chat about busking. I tried to get Harry to work a while but I think he didn't quite feel like showing us up as the amateurs we really are... nevertheless is was quite something to have a busking icon in the crowd.
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
You lucky you,you.
Ok ,so the " we who don't hear about Harry Andersons busking days " no longer includes Tom Hughes.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Get "Wise Guy" if you want to read about Harry's busking days. Great read. Excellent read. Harry IS a genius.

EVILDAN.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
You are right Evil Dan, I have a copy in my hands right now.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-08-10 13:38, manal wrote:
I would like to read more about Mr. Sheridan as I admire his work. I hope to soon purchase the book DynaMike referred to.

Here is more info about the book: http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=6149
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
By the way, I have two copies of Sheridan's book as well. One original paperback and the reprint. So, in the beginning I really wanted to meet Jeff Sheridan. But back in the 70's I was too young and didn't know the layout of Central Park. I never got to see him perform. I was more a Washington Square Park person anyway.

But, his lecture left me cold. Sorry.

EVILDAN.
by EVILDAN....
PM me for more info.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
It is dissapointing to hear more than one person has had the same experience. I have no first hand knowledge or experiences of Mr. Sheridan but I am thankful to have the DVD's.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I read his book up to the part he mentions getting a permit. I tried asking about it Downtown Detroit. The city workers did know what I was talking about. That is when I gave up reading his book. When I did it up from my collection, I will read it all the way next time.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
You have to remember that book was written a looong time ago. Policies can change at any time with the stroke of a pen.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
You are right. I'll be careful.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Why is little mentioned of Jeff Sheridan? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL