We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Jacob's ladder (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BBunnell
View Profile
Regular user
Utah
115 Posts

Profile of BBunnell
I mentioned some time ago that I was building an electric chair for my show. I did it and use it in my show as to have the effect of the Dekolta Chair. This chair has a Jacob's Ladder on top of it providing the very "electrical" effect of the spark traveling up the 2 wires along with the sound of electricity.

Last Monday, I was rehearsing for my show that evening with no problems. I have been using this for some time now and was confident I would have no problems then. However, as I went to rehearse with more of my crew later in the day, wires sparked, flames formed and was actually pretty cool, but obviously we could not have it. Please be assured that I have taken many precautions for the safety of my assistant.

So I spliced in new wires, and when I turned it on, same thing. I replaced more and more wire, and same thing but in different places.

Question is, why? I can only guess that at this point it is the transformer. Nothing was done differently from when we rehearsed it in the morning and then later that afternoon.

Any takers?

By the way, I disconnected the transformer and used the 2 light bulbs already on top of the chair to show there was "electricity" to the chair's metal bowl that is placed in the victim's head. The illusion worked just fine, but without the added "spark" (ha ha ha) of the Jacob's Ladder.

Thanks,
Bruce
Your Friend in MAGIC
Bruce
numamagic@yahoo.com
www.numamagic.com
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Bruce,

You know that Jacob's Ladders have a pretty high voltage going through them and are dangerous? Why not use a plasma disc? Check it out:

http://www.californiaemart.com/6subrflpapld.html
BBunnell
View Profile
Regular user
Utah
115 Posts

Profile of BBunnell
Thanks for responding.
Your Friend in MAGIC
Bruce
numamagic@yahoo.com
www.numamagic.com
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
Sounds like a transformer... I have never actually built one, but have done a lot of research. If I were you, I would try to find a local neon shop for more expert advice. I have found one by me, and they have helped with other high voltage props that I have built. They more than likely will have another transformer that you can try and, if it works, even buy. Also, know that if a neon shop does not exist, you may be able to find a neon hobbyist that has a shop or supplies in his garage.

Be safe and good luck.

Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
Webmonster
View Profile
New user
Boston
14 Posts

Profile of Webmonster
https://www.distortionsunlimited.com/pro......CatID=68

Sorry, long link! This is a safe electrocution simulator.
hypnodoc
View Profile
New user
WA
64 Posts

Profile of hypnodoc
There could be a few things happening that would cause that. I would say the transformer would be suspect, especially if you have replaced the wire.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Jacob's ladder (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL