The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Balls from mouth safety concern--toxicity? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
548 Posts

Profile of travisb
I am contemplating adding a balls from the mouth routine to my act and was wondering if people had any pointers on what to use or avoid when it comes to different materials. For example, dollar store type rubber bouncy balls, safe or no? Wood? Painted wood? Expensive silicone? Whatever material ping pong balls are made of?

Some kind of small fruit sounds safe, but perhaps a pain to keep clean and there are longevity/reset issues (I do many shows a day). Large grapes, maybe, but they might not be big enough to be seen, and might not be as impressive as a ping pong ball sized object.

Oh, and I don't plan on using sponge, since I prefer the look of a solid ball, but does anybody have any idea what kind of health issue sponge might present?

I'd prefer not to poison myself/increase my risk of cancer. Smile

-Travis

P.S. Is there a better forum in which to post this question? Somewhere where toxicity experts hang out?
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Well, I'm no expert on either toxicity levels or Balls From Mouth effect , but I would think that the only thing that is ever actually in your mouth is a half s _ _ _ l , so perhaps that could be formed from some sort of dental material that dentists use to make molds of people's teeth . I would expect anything that dentists are using inside of their patients mouths would be certified non-toxic. Just a thought.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I am also not an expert in toxicity but have been doing this effect. I use the ping pong balls for my routine. I do not use the s****. Instead I use the direct s***** to get the repetitive production of different color balls.

It is important to wash the balls before and after your practise session. Likewise before and after the performance.

I do not use the sponges as they soak the saliva and make your hand wet and messy at times.

I have seen some performers from Taiwan and Hong Kong perform this effect and they actually swallow the balls and later produce them again. Great muscular control there. I was taught their methods but refuse to use them. Of course there is also the fear of getting choked. They also use ping pong balls.

I do not know whether the ping pong balls have any toxic chemicals but many many magicians have and or are still performing this effect with these balls. So I guess they are safe.
MagicMatthews
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
174 Posts

Profile of MagicMatthews
I used to do the ping pong balls from mouth a lot, but stopped doing it for an entirely different reason... doing kids shows! Children love experimenting putting thigs in their mouth ... they do not need any more encouragement. Plus, their parents may disapprove.

Having said that, most ping pong balls are made of polyethylene - the same stuff that cling film is made of, just a different density. Many food containers are also made of this stuff. As far as scientists know, there is no harm. But who knows what things we are in contact with every day that in 20 years time will be banned due to known toxicities? Make sure you wash the ping pong balls first.
Don't get even... Get odd!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
If someone makes round sponge fruits, you might want to use that. It can be presented as an inspiring topic for kids to eat fruit.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Whatever you do, do not use the same balls you use in any routine that audience handles them. I got the mumps. No joke!
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
ajaxone
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of ajaxone
Use the bottom half of a hard boiled egg. You could swallow it after.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Avoid anything made in China, for obvious reasons.

Fakini balls might be a good choice, for all I know. I think they're made of surgical-grade silicone.

As a kid, I used ping pong balls. They're easy to clean.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
The Fakini balls should be no problem. They are made of silicone. Silicone is very binign (its used is various types of surgical implants). I would avoid painted wood. You don't know what is in the paint. I am like Al. You cannot trust anything from China because you don't know the content of the material.
Doruk Ãœlgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ãœlgen
I've been doing balls from mouth for years and never had any health problems. Try that cheap plastic multplying balls. white is the best color..
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2008-10-11 16:41, Alan Munro wrote:
Avoid anything made in China, for obvious reasons.

Totally agree with Alan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Balls from mouth safety concern--toxicity? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL