The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Magic Shops in Orlando, Florida (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1832 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Does anyone know what happened to Madge Elaine's World of Entertainment (aka "Pizzazz Theatrical") and also the Backstage Magic Shop in Orlando ?

Both had announced earlier this year that they were moving out of their former retail locations.

Madge Elaine's , now apparently re-named Pizzazz Theatrical has a website listing their new address in Orlando (820 Lake Baldwin Ln , Orlando, FL) but when I was in that area recently I drove by that address and it appears to be a deserted warehouse building. A small sign on the door dated in June '08 says Pizazz Theatrical "Opening Soon" in this location. However the building looks empty. (I was there in late July) . The phone number listed on the Pizzazz website doesn't work. Emails not answered. Are they completely out of business ?

Same thing happened with Backstage Magic. They are not answering emails. Oddly enough if you Google "Backstage Magic Orlando, FL" the address that comes up is the SAME address as Pizzazz Theatrical. Previously when I visited both Madge Elaine's World (Pizzazz) and Backstage Magic they were in different retail locations and appeared to be run by different people . It's interesting that both are now listed as being at the same location in Orlando , but that address is a deserted building, (820 Lake Baldwin Ln , Orlando, FL ) , at least it seemed to be empty and locked up when I was in the area in late July.

I don't know if the owners (former owners? ) of Backstage Magic read the Magic Café, but I'd be interested to know if they plan to ever re-open a retail location , either at the Pizzazz Entertainment location (if that ever opens) or some place else ?

Any Orlando magicians know what the story is with shops ?
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
I also responded to your post in the other forum but they have closed. Backstage was owned by a different company and leased the space from Pizzazz. Unfortunately Pizzazz went under and Backstage lost its location. I don't know if either are planning to re-open...I doubt it though.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1832 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Thanks for the clarification.

Sorry to hear about them shutting down . Oddly enough both companies Pizzazz and Backstage still have their websites up , but no phone and not answering emails. I guess their shutting down must have just happened within the last month or so ...

It looks like from their website that maybe Backstage is trying to continue on as a mail-order web-based store only (?) .

Odd though that they don't answer email if that's the case.

I guess it's getting harder and harder to maintain a "brick and mortar" magic shop with a real world location.
shots
View Profile
Loyal user
Kissimmee, FL
256 Posts

Profile of shots
Yeah, it sucks...about the only brick and mortar shops in the area is the tourist magic shop in Old Town in Kissimmee, and Daytona Magic's awesome shop if you want to drive an extra hour and a half.

If only I had the money to buy that old haunted castle on US 192 in Kissimmee....it was a haunted house/horror museum/magic-costume shop for a while, then went out of business. I would LOVE to open it up as the East Coast' version of the Magic Castle. Hint Hint, wink wink, nudge nudge. Say no more.
Magic in the Shadows
Sword of the Soldier
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Sword of the Soldier
David,

I cam across the same problem long ago. Backstage Magic is OPEN! They are 928 Humphries Dr (Which is Lake Baldwin Ln) in Orlando. If you are driving down colonial from Goldenrod Rd. Make a right down Humphries (or Lk Baldwin Ln) and you will see it on your left. The recently repainted the building to look like the Emerald City from the Wizard of Oz. I go in there often and Donna is just a wonderful help, and a great mind in creating effects. I hope this helps!

Josh

P.S. The building always looks like its dead and empty. It usually is (empty I mean)
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
How long ago were you there?
Sword of the Soldier
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Sword of the Soldier
I want to say I was there in late July.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Hey Shots,

Funny you should mention that old Haunted House. I've been driving past and around it for the past five years when we're in the area. I thought the very same thing. I'm sure a well run Magic venue would work we'll in such a highly populated tourist area. If you go ahead and open it let me know WINK WINK!!!

All ther best,

John
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
I have lived here in orlando for 15 years and always felt the same way. I think the PROBLEM is that when it has been tried, on one level or another, it was magicians trying to run the thing and sorry to say, we don't always make the best business people and certainly don't make the best director's when we are directing ourselves.

Did any of you see the Masters of Magic show that used to be on I drive? I've always heard good things about Outa Control Magic Show at Wonder Works.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1832 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2008-08-20 16:25, leapinglizards wrote:
I have lived here in orlando for 15 years and always felt the same way. I think the PROBLEM is that when it has been tried, on one level or another, it was magicians trying to run the thing and sorry to say, we don't always make the best business people and certainly don't make the best director's when we are directing ourselves.

Did any of you see the Masters of Magic show that used to be on I drive? I've always heard good things about Outa Control Magic Show at Wonder Works.

I've seen the Outta Control Magic Show (Tony Brent & Co.) at WonderWorks several times. Fun show ! I'd recommend it.

Masters of Magic seemed to come and go very fast . I don't know how long it was there. I intended to see it when I got down to that area (which is not often) but by the time I thought I'd go see it the show had closed. (this was the "Typhoon Lou" show , right ?)

It's surprising to me that a city the size of Orlando can't seem to support a sizable magic shop along the lines of Daytona Magic. I guess a lot of Central Floridians can make the trek over to Daytona Beach from time to time, but I would think that a really decent magic shop with some stuff aimed at the tourist crowd to take advantage of that sector of the clientele , but also with good stuff stocked for the local magicians: higher end props, utility supplies, books, dvds could be viable , but maybe that shows how little I know about the business of retailing magic.

Maybe the thing would be to try to start off with a magic counter at an existing store , like a hobby store, party store, or toy store ? (that seems to have been more common in the past) . I've occasionally visited a really nice hobby store in old downtown Orlando called "Colonial Photo & Hobby" . They have model trains, planes, hobby supplies, cameras and photographic supplies. I could definitely see a really well-stocked magic counter fitting in there, but it would only work if the local magicians would support it and not just come in to browse and then go buy the stuff for a few bucks cheaper from Penguin Magic online.
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
You could always make a quick trip down to Tampa near USF for Marty's Magic Shop on Fowler Ave.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
sal
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of sal
Hi guys, a guess that probably should have posted earlier than this, but has been a very crazy couple of months. Backstage Magic and novelties formerly located at 928 Humphreys Dr. lost their lease due to the mismanagement of pizzazz theatrical. We were renting space from pizzazz and paying our rent every month, turns out that was not the case for the pizzazz management!, Therefore they were evicted from their location and we Backstage Magic got caught up in their problems! !, we were in business for six years in Orlando and saddens me to have to say that we have been looking for a new location without any luck. We have been trying to sell the stock on eBay and on our web site. We were hoping that we could possibly find a new location but it's looking bleaker and Bleecker. So we are going to try to keep the web site and see what happens. I have a list of all the stock on the web site http://www.backstagemagicshop.com we are having a clearance sell for everything that was in the walk in shop. So as of now September 3, 2008 I guess we probably will not be reopening the brick-and-mortar shop again. We got caught with our pants down and can not recover from this setback. I just want to thank everybody for your support and kind words and a lot of fun over the years. We still have all the stock if someone is interested in purchasing It All, please give us a call and leave a message at 407 733-5010 or 407 650-3947. Or e-mail last at sal_fxe@bellsouth.net We had a really great reputation, we had a lot of magicians from all over the world stop in and say hello and the times that we had there were priceless. Sorry guys we gave it our best shot!!!! So, looks like we'll see if this online web site thing works. I am surprised to see a couple post about the e-mail not working on our web site I will look into this as soon as possible and get it fixed. The e-mail that can be used at this time is listed above please feel free to contact us as we still love Magic, and we are just simply heart broken over the situation. But we'll take it from here with our heads high knowing that we did the best that we could to provide a quality Magic shop in the Orlando area.
Thank you all
Tom and Donna Salvador
Backstage Magic and Novelties
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Magic Shops in Orlando, Florida (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL