The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Popping the question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Start a coin trick, go to hand her one of the coins to hold, for whatever reason, and "drop it". As you are bending down, do a Bobo switch and insert whatever line you want to use to get the message across.
haulboss007
View Profile
Regular user
Carlsbad, CA
103 Posts

Profile of haulboss007
I love the idea about the needle through the arm, but not for asking her to marry me...an anniversary is a better time. I was thinking a matrix type of coin effect might be cool, but I'm starting to lean toward the floating rose effect.

Smile
Almost Amazing Doug
View Profile
New user
Pullman, WA
78 Posts

Profile of Almost Amazing Doug
Here's one you can do on one knee with only a bit of practice...take it easy on the nerves! This is a variation on a restored string routine I created.

You'll need the ring, a TT, some foil the color of the ring, and, if the ring has a diamond, some clear cellophane. Learn how to make a (very) crude approximation of the ring with the foil and cellophane (just twist the foil and crumple the cello into a little ball). This isn't origami, as you'll see in a minute. You don't even need to attach the cello ball to the foil "ring".

Start with the real ring alongside the TT (not in it!) finger palmed in the left hand. Set up whenever you have a moment, there's no heat and you can abort the mission (temporarily!!) if you need to.

"I've discovered something very magical, but this is kind of embarrassing, please can I show you?" (This should help contextualize your nervousness, tee hee!) With your right hand, openly remove the bit of foil and, if used, the cellophane, from your pocket.

Move from your chair over to her chair so she can see better. Begin to fold/twist the foil into a ring shape, but just as you're starting, drop either it or the cellophane on the floor. This gives you a perfect reason to drop down to one knee without raising too much suspicion...retrieve the foil/cello and continue crafting the fake ring for just a moment, still on your knee, of course.

The following is a bit tricky to explain, but hang in, I think you'll get it. We're trying for a very open-looking switch.

In one continuing motion, place the scraps into the TT in the left hand, push your right thumb into the TT, and rotate the left hand palm up while opening it to a slightly cupped position. The TT is hidden mostly by your R fingers in front, and the R fingers and thumb are in a more or less vertical position. The real ring is now revealed just a little bit, and the R thumb and fingers are kept in motion like they are still forming the foil/cello into some sort of shape.

The left fingers & thumb are now used to help with the "shaping," the ring being held at, but still mostly concealed by, the very fingertips of both hands. The fingers are slowly moved apart while still in motion, until the ring is fully revealed.

The left hand now takes the ring between the thumb and middle finger (more asthetically pleasing then thumb & index) and presents it palm up to your love, while your right hand moves down and back to ditch the TT in your waistband, pocket, pool of sweat, etc. I think you'll have enough misdirection ;-)

"The magic that I have discovered is you, (name), and I want you to be a part of my life forever. Will you marry me?"

Well, perhaps this will provide some inspiration. Let me know if the TT handling is unclear. Granted I only use string, but I've had much success with it. The delayed reveal provides some great time misdirecton. People often remark that the string never left their sight.

For those that are interested, I start with a bunch of little string pieces, then the "restored" string has a bunch of little fake knots in it. After the laugh, I pull on the ends of the string making the knots disappear.

Best,

Doug
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
I like Doug's idea a lot. The only change I might suggest is to have the real ring wrapped up in an aluminum foil "shell". Have this finger plamed and when you have your fake ring (with a ball of aluminum foil blended in on top as the "diamond"), either do a bobo switch or drop the fake to the floor and come up with the real ring. Put this on her hand and tell her you want to try to do some real magic. Ask her to marry you. If she says "yes", have her take off the ring and peel away the shell; if she says no, retrieve the ring and return it to the jewelry store. (grin)

Turk
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Pianoman
View Profile
Veteran user
Lliving in Scotland.
336 Posts

Profile of The Pianoman
My two cents....This sounds a bit like when people choose to get married in the latest coolest fashion clothes and look back later and say.....what an idiot.
Its hopefully a one off, never to be repeated moment that in my opinion could be sullied by reducing it to a magic trick.

It obviously depends on the women concerned and , as your marrying her.... you should know her better than most.
If you genuinely think the mixture of magic and marriage proposal blend well..then go for it.
But my instincts would be against it.

I proposed to my partner 4 years ago and it went like this.

Knelt down on one knee...told her I had three questions for her.
1) Will you marry me.
2) Will you be the mother of any children that come along.
3) Lastly... Let me die in your arms.

Good Luck

Regards Alan
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Agreed.

Don't ruin it with a cheesy (and I cant think of anything that wouldnt be, even Copperfields handling of floating rose) trick.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
One of my trade show account managers wanted to do something magical for his proposal. This is what I taught him.

Tell her you are learning a new trick. Borrow her ring and wrap it in a handkerchief. Tell her you will make it disappear. Execute the gypsy switch as you wrap and hand her the four cornered hank "bag" with the engagement ring inside. (She will be holding the corners.)

If you're careful you can have her "feel" the ring by guiding her hand to tap it from below on the back of her hand. Be careful, women know their rings and she may feel the difference. Its best if she just "jiggles it" to confirm the ring is inside.

Anyway, tell her that the magic will happen when you say the magic words. From here on out you can decide how to play it. You can try wrong words and as you are trying to figure out what's going wrong you end up in a "soon to be on knee" position. (I bit over the top for my taste.)

Or you can just give up when the vanish seems not to work and tell her you need more practice. Just before she unwraps the hank completely exclaim, "I remember now, 'Will you marry me.'" Timed properly she will be staring at the ring.

Now, this kind of thing can be very dorky. BUT if magic is part of your life, then she knows that and has hopefully come to accept it. More importantly, it is something about you that she finds attractive.

As long as the focus is on the moment, then a little magic is fine. The trade show manager and his wife still tell the story of the proposal and she thought it was an incredibly sweet moment.
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Michaels
Outside of telling you not to do magic when you propose I have no other advise other than not to ask total strangers how to propose to the woman they know nothing about and you hopefully know everything about. Just because you're a magician doesn't mean you always have to be on stage.
Congratulations
Michaels
"Our technology is ahead of our humanity"
Albert Einstein
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5262 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I think the needle through arm routine is brilliant, but I'd follow it with the white fluid from eye effect (using a creamer container and a knife) and the bra trick (make sure you use the one with 3 cups because women love it when you make fun of their bodies).

Alternatively, listen to Michaels.
Almost Amazing Doug
View Profile
New user
Pullman, WA
78 Posts

Profile of Almost Amazing Doug
To all those suggesting that those of us donating marriage proposal tricks are way off base, please note:

Quote:
On 2003-04-06 20:36, haulboss007 wrote:
...Can any of you think of a good effect for producing the ring?


I can't tell haulboss007 what to do; presumably he knows his girlfriend better than I do. However, he asked for trick recommendations, and many have generously contributed. But then, we're probably all just a bunch of permabachelor geeks trying to live vicariously through him Smile

Doug

(Added 4/23 - Hey! This doesn't read nearly as light-heartedly as when I typed it in. I'll use more smiley's next time ;-) I certainly wasn't offended by those suggesting haulboss007 *shouldn't* do tricks at his proposal!)
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Michaels
If he does do the needle through Arm did she pass out because of the sight of blood or just because he popped the question?
"Our technology is ahead of our humanity"
Albert Einstein
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5262 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
[quote]On 2003-04-20 23:03, Almost Amazing Doug wrote:
To all those suggesting that those of us donating marriage proposal tricks are way off base, please note:

Quote:
On 2003-04-06 20:36, haulboss007 wrote:
...Can any of you think of a good effect for producing the ring?


Doug, I voiced my vote for not performing any trick but also don't think that you or anybody else who recommended a specific trick was way off base. IMO, sometimes it's better to answer a question that wasn't asked but that should have been, i.e., "SHOULD I perform a trick as part of a marriage proposal?"

Quote:
On 2003-04-20 23:32, Michaels wrote:
If he does do the needle through Arm did she pass out because of the sight of blood or just because he popped the question?


Probably because he popped the blood vessel.
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
Well, hopefully, since this reply is 3 years later, you're already happily married and the proposal went off well. Just in case.... Smile I'll give you the same reply I gave to DzH on his thread (http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=148719&forum=4&start=0):

I'm going to recommend a combination of dolphin's and also Euangelion's suggestions. How about a floating rose made of flash paper - replace with a real rose and the ring placed appropriately in/on the petals or stem - whichever works best for your handling.

I know you'll probably take a lot of <good natured> flack for your question, but the simple truth is that nobody knows your situation but you. Go with your heart and the rest will fall into place. God bless!
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Popping the question (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL