The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » All Gospel? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore, MD
639 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Greetings!
I was going to post this as a reply within another topic, but then I realized it was not a direct reply to the orignal post in the thread. So, I though it best to start a new thread.

Quote:
On 2008-08-15 09:26, gbradburn wrote:

Is it really necessary for every effect in our act to have a gospel application? I mean, if we're using magic for the purpose of evangelism, must every component of our show include patter that's relavent to the gospel?

On any Sunday morning, just about every preacher will start the sermon with an entertaining story or two (or three, four, etc), and then get into the message. This is called 'warming up the audience'. Successful applications of this idea will have the anecdotes supporting the message. It usually isn't evident at first, but at the end the speaker will wrap it up so the audience will see that the beginning story supported the message.

This can be seen in the theatre as well. Some scenes/songs/dialogue are not necessary to the overall plot, but are not always frivolous. Sometimes they support a secondary theme.

So, yes. It is acceptable that not all tricks in a Gospel show have a Gospel message attributed to them. However, the entire show is better when all the parts are somehow linked.

(personal note - this is a lofty goal which I haven't reached yet, but it is my desire)
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Baltimore, MD, USA
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
In my opinion the only way the entire show should be linked...is to be rapport with the audience. Once you build rapport, then when it comes time for the most important part of the show, the message, you have earned the respect from the audience for them to listen to what you have to say.

The show ONLY needs to flow. Please don't have every effect be an application. Get them to laugh, feel emotion, feel suspense, etc. Make them like and care about YOU. Only then will your application at the end have the most impact.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
MagicMatthews
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
166 Posts

Profile of MagicMatthews
Well said Wes. I agree. Establishing a connection with the audience is crucial, and this is best done as something purely for entertainment, while still supporting your message.
Don't get even... Get odd!
Mark005
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Mark005
It depends on who you are.

The Gold standard of Gospel Magic are Oz and Wilde. They get more message out of the crayon trick than most others do in their entire act.

Point being, their act is all message, but also fall down split your sides laughing funny, and entertaining.

We all can't be like them, but its a good target to shoot for.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I agree with Livining Illusions. For my hour program called "Can you believe" it is an evening of good entertainment ending with a powerful message. I rarely do more than 2 gospel effects in a program but when done properly with the anointing of the Holy Spirit, the impact is great.
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
Mark005 has painted a picture of Oz and Wilde that is true if you take an understand of the definition of what is Gospel magic. 95% of what we do has a spiritual application. Not all of it is "sharing the gospel message" but almost every routine we develop has a Biblical truth that is being shared...many referencing Biblical text.

Example...when we do Chance Wolf's Blow Yer Stack...Wilde gets caught "cheating" and he basically says it wasn't like he broke a commandment. Then the 9th Commandment (Don't bare false witness) is talked about. Now that isn't "A - Accept Jesus died for you...B - Believe He came and died for your sins...C - Change your life and live for Him" message...You know...what is really the GOSPEL MESSAGE...

But Gospel magic...at least what is sold under the name of Gospel magic...is really spiritual application magic...or magic with Biblical truth themes.

So (with that understanding of "gospel magic" I will answer yes...we pretty much do all gospel...and it all eventually focuses on sharing the actual gospel message...because we are primarily evangelists.

Now I'm would never mean to imply that's the only way...or even the best way...it is just our way. For Terry...obviously his way is the best way for him.

Just get the gospel out there...and do it the way that is the best fit for you.
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
<BR>Sharing the gospel with Comedy & Illusion www.ozandwilde.com
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
My hour program is just one of my offerings. The program I'm doing this week in my crusade is more like FX's use of Gospel magic...all the magic I do (99%) has a spiritual message and each night is a different teaching. They are longer versions of along the lines of my television programs. Monday I talked about Jesus trading places with us...last night I talked about making room for Jesus. We are at the same church for 5 nights so each night is different.

If you've not seen my TV spots you can view them at http://www.totalfamily.net
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I once actually thought that all my tricks had to have a Gospel message, but what I found, and what I'm sure many will attest to is picking one message you want to talk about and performing a few tricks that helps illustrate your message. For example; your message is about sin and seperation from God. You might start off talking about what sin is, where it originated while performing a trick that illustrates it. You then perform a few tricks without a Gospel message.(Good time to get audience particapaction) You then perform another Gospel trick as you talk about how sin seperates us from God. You can throw in some more non-Gospel magic, puppet show, singing, etc. You can then end the show with the message of how God sent His Son to die for our sins. (This is pretty generic and is used just as an example.)

When I tried to cram in all Gospel routines I would be all over the place. First talking about sin, then talking about priorities, then talking about Daniel and the lions Den, The Empty Tomb, the Ressurection. All the tricks were pretty good but it didn't help to keep my audiences attention. A good friend of mine commented that my tricks were pretty cool, but it was hard to figure out what the point of my message was. With advice here from the Gospel Magic Forum I changed my show to where I talk about one or sometimes two topics (if they relate to each other)and fill the show up with magic, audience particapation, music, puppets, and lots of fun for the whole family.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Marvelous_Mysto
View Profile
Regular user
Adelaide, Australia
143 Posts

Profile of Marvelous_Mysto
Hi Guys,
This is what 'works' for me. I'm living in Australia, which has a secular humanist culture. Often, I'm presenting to school kids, whose only exposure to the words God, or Jesus, are as swear words. They have little, or no concept of who God is, and what He is like.

In that situation, I perform a 45 miute presentation, which (i think) has a lot of humour, and audience participation. The majority of my tricks are commercial, secular, entertaining tricks, with NO gospel application. I perform a max of two tricks with a gospel application. I use the performance to build relationship with the audience, so that when the 'gospel' stuff comes along, they are prepared to listen to me.

My answer is "No, very few of my tricks have a gospel application." I recognise that each person is in a different situation, so I suspect that no single answer will fit all performers in all contexts.

Kind regards
Baz
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore, MD
639 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Magic and illusion shows are made up of seperate routines that have no relationship with each other. The main tool of the magician, it seems, is to use 'patter' and 'rapport with the audience' to get from one routine to the other. Is this the best we can do?

Any type of show is more successful when all of the parts are somehow linked together. 'Flow' is important, but is only one of the ingrediants and cannot stand alone. Theme and continuity, among others, are also important. Without these we cannot elevate our shows to higher levels.

When educational shows are developed for TV there is no wasted space. Every part of the show points toward the main message, whether that be counting, use of verbs, etc. Every 'routine' may not show it on the surface, but underneath they support the goal of the program.

If, for example, your message is 'your sins will vanish', then every time something is vanished/dissapears in the show the message can be reinforced without having to point it out verbally. If your message is 'you are transformed into a new creature' then every transformation effect can point to your messsage.

I may have over-simplified it, but when done correctly this focus can produce not only a very entertaining show, but will also get the message across in a more powerful way. Your audience will be happy they were entertained, your client will be ecstatic at the way you presented the message and your reputation will be the better for it.

Lest anyone accuse me of talking down to anyone, I will point out that I have not yet attained this goal. It is difficult. I will continue to try because I believe this is the best path for me and our art form.
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Baltimore, MD, USA
MagicMatthews
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
166 Posts

Profile of MagicMatthews
Baz, great to meet a fellow Aussie. I'm in the west of Sydney.
Don't get even... Get odd!
Heres Tony
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando
264 Posts

Profile of Heres Tony
I perform the same show that I perform for a secular audience except I give my testimony within the show. I pray that the Holy Spirit will do the rest.

Occasionally I will include a "version" of one of my routines that can be geared toward a specific Bible truth if it's within a particular theme the church is working toward.

I am an entertainer who has accepted Christ as my savior. Pastors never jump around to a dozen different topics within a sermon. They mainly hit on one, may two topics.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Very important point Tony...
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Ditto that!
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
I open with a couple of "fun, but morally sound" tricks and then the rest of the program has teaching points that present a message. A typical sermon has a few points on one theme, so my show has an overall message from the bible(anything from a gospel/salvation presentation, to overall themes of Thirsting for God,the masks we wear/barriers we put between ourselves and God, the freedom of forgiveness,living with integrity,who is Jesus...)and each trick within that overall message is a point that combines together to reinforce the overall message point.Each trick seeks to combine "regular show" elements of participation, humor, knock your socks off strong effects and display parts of my personality to connect me and the message to the audience. For me this works really well and the churches and camps etc I minister to appreciate the "meat" of the presentation.
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
I find it, and most here would agree, that it is almost impossible for a illusionist who works with large churches to specialize in total Gospel effects. Most Gospel tricks are close-up and can't be performed at most of the church's in my area because only the first two pews will be able to see it.

Audiences like variety, variety acts are way better then speciality acts. Blend your Gospel shows. For my show I start with a non-Biblical dove production and a few other effects that have nothing to do with the Gospel just to get the audeince to pay more attention, then I go for a pattern; after two secular effects I go for two Gospels, then a secular, then a gospel, the pattern repeats itself and the people love it.
But like I said, if you perform at most of the churchs in my area, you will have a hard time getting their attention with most of the Gospel tricks out on the market since they are mostly close-up.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
IF you want to see a great illusionist go see Kirby Vanbirch. All his effects are secular, that is until the end of the show, then he nails everyone in the audience with his Christian testimony and a great Gospel message.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
THere are a number of stage effects and illusions which lend themselves nicely to gospel effects

1.Sub trunk
2.Rope/straightjacket escapes
3.Arm/head choppers
4.linking rings
5.quick change act
6.bullet catch/danger effects

There are a number of stage illusions that could contain a short teaching point/gospel illutration on top of these...
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On 2008-08-24 11:16, randyburtis wrote:
THere are a number of stage effects and illusions which lend themselves nicely to gospel effects

1.Sub trunk
3.Arm/head choppers
4.linking rings
5.quick change act

There are a number of stage illusions that could contain a short teaching point/gospel illutration on top of these...

Arm Chopper Gospel Routine:
Stand on center stage with arm chopper covered by a black cloth. Face the audience and eat a fruit of some sort. After taking a few bites of the fruit, put a worried look on your face and look around you nervously. Have some intense background music playing as well. Walk towards the covered arm chopper and take the cover off. Look scared, do the arm chop.
Wages of sin is death, but eternal life is with Christ. It's a little subtle but if the audience pays attention they will get the point that is deprived from that single verse of scripture found in the book of Romans.

-Guy Jarrett

ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On 2008-08-24 11:16, randyburtis wrote:

1.Sub trunk
3.Arm/head choppers
4.linking rings
5.quick change act

Arm Chopper Gospel Routine:
Stand on center stage with arm chopper covered by a black cloth. Face the audience and eat a fruit of some sort. After taking a few bites of the fruit, put a worried look on your face and look around you nervously. Have some intense background music playing as well. Walk towards the covered arm chopper and take the cover off. Look scared, do the arm chop.
Wages of sin is death, but eternal life is with Christ. It's a little subtle but if the audience pays attention they will get the point that is deprived from that single verse of scripture found in the book of Romans.

-Guy Jarrett

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » All Gospel? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL