The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Prophecy by Peter Eggink (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Oh, no, I don't. I'm just a hack. I pick up little things here and there and pass them on, that's all.

Thanks for the kind words, though.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I like my Barking Dog Clip to accomplish this type of effect . The signed card is in the Bulldog clip in full view !
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-09-15 03:40, tophatter wrote:
I like my Barking Dog Clip to accomplish this type of effect . The signed card is in the Bulldog clip in full view !

Allan Hayden would be proud!

Marvelous
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of Marvelous
Just wanted to say I love Prophecy. The gimmick is outstanding. It is a strong gaff that will never break and has nothing to do with elastic or threads. Best of all this gimmick will serve double duty as a gaff for the card and case! Owners of this effect will know what I am talking about.

Peter has released a lot of great effects over the last few years but the only one to come close to this is Outcased and it had some problems with the gaff. No worries with that here. This is such a clever and reliable gaff. I love the gimmick almost as much as the effect.

I agree the demo wasn't that outstanding but the effect is so good it deserves not only a second look but a second demo. A lot of magicians may pass on what I believe to be one of the best releases of 2008.

Outstanding effect Peter.
Marvelous
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of Marvelous
I got a couple of PM's so I thought I would just answer both questions here since I won't expose anything in doing so. When I said the gimmick serves double duty as a gaff for the card and the case I failed to point out that the case itself is also gimmicked seperate from the card gimmick. In fact the case could be used for other effects though no other routines with it are provided.

Still what makes the card gimmick so clever is the way it is designed. I have never seen a gaff like this before. Even though the case is gimmicked seperate from the card the card still works as a gaff for the case and card. A real value at under 40.00. I haven't liked anything this year as much since Colour Burn.

Again, Peter you really have something great here.
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
See guys, you open your big mouths before knowing what you are talking about.

:)
Marvelous
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of Marvelous
I keep getting Pm's on this. I may be the only one who has bought it. What a loss. It is on it's way to becoming my favorite trick or purchase of the year. As to the PM. The reset is a breeze. Nothing really to do. 10 seconds and you are set to amaze again.

If it isn't exposure you can ask me anything and I will post a reply on this thread. I won't respond to PM's that ask for exposure. Sorry.
tancopperfield
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of tancopperfield
I just got this last week and I love it too! The color photos are nice but the instructions are for a routine that requires Half pass, Double lifts, pinkie breaks, mercury card fold, etc.. that I find are not at all necessary to accomplish this wonderful effect. So for someone new to magic it might take some hours to get this right but I was able to use the fantastic quality props with hardly any moves and got the same great response. I may e mail Peter with my simpler handling for those that need it.

Still I feel this is one of my best purchases ever! The clever design of the card and the gimmicked case is really nice. I purchased a trick from Joker Magic for 45.00 that used the same case. Here you get that case and the awesome card gaff for under 40.00. So many possibilities here. I agree with Marvelous that I too have never seen a card gimmick like this one before. Outstanding concept and design. Worth a lot more than 35.00 for sure.
Marvelous
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of Marvelous
There are other handlings mentioned. I also don't use all the moves you mentioned in the included routine. Those moves would be nice to utilize if some other magician were burning your hands and if you could do them so perfectly another magician wouldn't recognize them but why bother? We do magic primarily for the average spectator. The gimmicks included with Prophecy will allow you to perform this great effect with almost no sleight of hand whatsoever. A little Mercury card fold helps to really sell it but you can be creative and come up with your own handlings or routines.

What makes it so great is the props which could be used for so many other effects. Think of it as a Prophecy Utility pack. I have found several uses for both gimmicks. The case can be used for Ghost Box, Ring In Card Case, Card or color changes using no sleight of hand, no sleight Retention or vanishing cards, Coin matrix or card matrix , etc..... The folded card gimmick could be used for a different version of Rey Ben Aces, Switcher, or cool signed card to other locations.

That is why I never had a problem using gaffs or gimmicks to accomplish an effect that could be done with just sleight of hand. It is nice to know the sleights and they can make an effect a lot more impressive than just props alone but the reverse is also true. Sometimes the gaff or prop gives that performance that extra WOW factor. ( yes I am using a play on words here, Example being the trick
WOW.)

Anyone can learn a card or color change but the WOW gimmicked sleeve makes the effect something visually astonishing. No Erdnase change, no cover just change the card visibly and then WOW!

A few Café members have spoken highly on Solo By JB Magic. It is worth the price for the props alone. That is the same way I feel about Prophecy only it is much better. I just ordered another one for a backup. It is the effect of the year.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Does the link on my first post now show a different handling? I ask because it looks so much better.

A DVD would have been greta to have come with this ( I have an early DVD of Peter's and he's a great teacher ).

I may take the plunge.

Peter Eggink
View Profile
V.I.P.
Netherlands
399 Posts

Profile of Peter Eggink
Thanks for the great comments, Marvelous and tancopperfield. I really appreciate it!

While browsing on the internet I stumbled across another (official) review that just came in: http://magic.about.com/od/magiciansvideo......hecy.htm

tancopperfield: feel free to e-mail or PM me with your handling. I would love to take a look at it!

Best,

Peter
https://www.deceptivedreamz.com/product-page/cash-card-by-armanujjaman-abir-peter-eggink

CA$H CARD -a brand new credit card to bill...and vice versa!
Marvelous
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of Marvelous
Christopher you should take that plunge. It is brilliant.

Peter, you deserve the great comments. Very impressed with Prophecy. I noticed the review you provided the link for was a very positive review but the reviewer said," My only reservation is that the gimmicked card box will wear out with use. Although you will probably be able to rip apart the old gimmicked box and make your own with little trouble."

I really don't think it will wear out that easily. It is on the outside like any other card box and unless you are dropping it a lot or roughing it up it should last for years. Of course the clever folded card gimmick couldn't be so easily made but should also last for years. Still I bought a back up as I always do with the great ones. Some of the best magic tricks aren't being made anymore. I couldn't take a chance on that happening with Prophecy so I bought another one. But I am sure if magician's give this one a chance you will stay busy trying to keep up with the demand.

Again, Congratulations Peter on a great effect and in my estimation your best effort to date and the trick of the year!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I've got it on a future list. It's good to see folks enjoying it and having success performing Peter's creation!

Chris

tancopperfield
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Peter, I will e mail you my handling of your masterpiece Prophecy. In addition next week I will try and post a youtube demo of my handling. I agree with the reviewer whose link you offered who said, " I like this one a lot, in fact, I think that it's as good if not stronger than Jay Sankey's " Paper Clipped," which offers a similar plot. With " Prophecy," Peter Eggink offers another great " card to impossible location" routine that works in the real world and is very commercial.

I have several of the card to impossible location effects. The only one I like almost as good as Prophecy is John Kennedy's original mystery box. ( Everyone seems to prefer Mystery box 2 but mine was defective and the only difference was the card in Box 2 was supposed to look 3-D. I don't think it does but either way Kennedy's box has always seemed so impossible to spectator's and has always had a place in my act at least a few times a month until now. )

I prefer Prophecy as I always felt no matter how elegant the little box was and although I never had a spectator question it (other than my wife) it still seemed like a prop that was a little out of place to me. Don't get me wrong I think spectator's almost expect us to have props, boxes, tubes, etc... that somehow scream magician but for me when I am on the street or in a bar, hotel or restaurant I like to avoid obvious props. With Prophecy you get a similiar effect with a prop masquerading as the most normal thing in the world, a bicycle deck of cards and the price is so low for the quality of props you receive. And the best part you could hand them the box and the cards and they will find nothing. I realize for some of you that will be overkill. I know in theory you can hand the Mystery box out for examination though no one has ever asked except for my son who saw the flap! So much for examinable. But with Prophecy Peter could actually offer a money back guarantee on that point. They can examine it and will find nothing!

Marvelous, this effect if not trick of the year will be at the very least runner up. ( we still have 3 months) As of right now it is my favorite for this year.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Peter has created a really nifty effect with 'The Prophecy', and I was fortunate to not only have a pre-release version for some time, but also edited most of the instructions for Peter. When I showed it to the guys in the Magic shop, they didn't actually notice a thing during performance, when it was in 3D, with everything flowing and moving, unlike a 2D demo video. Afterwards when I showed them what it was, the thought it must be obvious...my answer to them? 'Did you see it in performance?', they declined and smiled.
Since this, I have come up with my own version, and along with James Brown, Christopher Congreaves and Gary Jones, created a completely ungimmicked version.

Peter has a habit of creating great routines and effects, and though not always favoured by everyone, I have never come across an effect that does favour everyone, as we all perform differently, for different people in different situations. Simple answer for me is, if you want a nothing extra to carry with you impossible location effect that packs a punch, get 'The Prophecy'.
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Wayne Kawamoto
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Wayne Kawamoto
I mentioned in my review that the box would wear out because in my strolling and restaurant sets, I’m tough on card boxes. In any one strolling set or one of my restaurant gigs, I may carry two or three decks in my pockets - one completely ungimmicked, perhaps a stacked deck and one more for an additional effect that I cycle from those that I do.

Because the card boxes are in my suit coat and other pockets along with other props, they get trashed in just a couple of weeks. It’s just how I work. Add a bit of sweating under warm conditions, and the card box is toast.

For my ungimmicked deck, I use an aluminum card case that allows me to quickly and easily find the deck. With other card cases, I end up replacing them often. As mentioned in the review, I like “Prophecy” and I don’t think it will be too hard to gimmick your own case in the future.

I don’t perform Sankey’s “Paperclipped” because I have never liked the “move.” And I’ve seen other performers, who I think performed the “move” competently, get busted. I think that routine-wise, it’s hard to reduce the spectator heat at that key moment.

-Wayne
www.Magic.About.com - Magic News and Reviews
Author: "Picture Yourself As a Magician"
Peter Eggink
View Profile
V.I.P.
Netherlands
399 Posts

Profile of Peter Eggink
Thanks, Christopher and Wayne for your comments!

Besides that Christopher did a great job on the editing, he also contributed a nice idea which is included in the booklet. I'm glad to see that "The Prophecy" is being received very well so far Smile

Peter
https://www.deceptivedreamz.com/product-page/cash-card-by-armanujjaman-abir-peter-eggink

CA$H CARD -a brand new credit card to bill...and vice versa!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'm also tough on card boxes, so I guess what I'd like to know is can I gimmick a new case in the future. Not in theory, but that the instructions supplied explain how to.

tancopperfield
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Christopher Kavanagh, you can gimmick another card box easily. However no instructions are provided for that task. It will be really easy and take only a couple of minutes, five tops. If you should need instructions I am sure Peter Eggink would assist you. Or I could but again when you realize what a simple gimmick the card box employs you will smile at it's simplicity and after playing around with it delight in it's many uses. Peter could actually have sold this as a utility device like the Extractor along with a dvd and charged a lot more for it.

Now as for the folded card gimmick since it has no elastic or moving parts so as long as you don't lose it you will never need a replacement. AS it would be hard if not impossible to make another one of those.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Thanks very much for that great info!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Prophecy by Peter Eggink (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL