The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » Mixing The Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Last year I entered a Junior Competition at the Magic Circle, England. It was a close-up competition, and after being awarded 3rd place several people came and told me I did not deserve the postion as it was more of a stage act. This year I am trying to build an act which was as fun as last years but more close-up.

I was wondering what you thought about mixing a funny routine with a serious routine, and whether you think it will work. I would say, all the magicians I have seen are either funny all the time, or serious all the time.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Owen,

Congrats on your win last year. Sheesh can't believe people actually came up to you and said you didn't deserve to win. Were they in the competition too??

As for your question my suggestion would be:
Your persona should reflect your own personality but just a notch or two above. If you switch back and forth it would confuse the audience I would think.

The exception to this would be if you had a wry sense of humor and made humorous comments while keeping a deadpan expression.

How do people view you...as a serious guy or funny? Then I would work on that to fit the persona on stage.

My two cents anyhow. Best of luck to you!
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » Mixing The Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL