The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Favorite outs for "let me see that deck" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
This just occurred to me so I have never actually tried it, but:

Cut an Ace (I prefer a 2 actually) to the face and do a blank fan. Point out to them that it is pointless to see the deck because it is empty now that you've used up the pips on that last effect. Or something.

The idea is to arrest their train of thought with something surreal and unexpected.

(Has anyone seen the UK comedy show Big Train in which the employees of a company repeatedly goes into the bosses office to complain about not having been paid? Each time he does something new like pulling out some oranges and doing an amazing juggling act. In one episode he pulls out a kitten or a puppy, I don't remember which. He then sneaks out the door while they are reacting, and takes a taxi to the airport).
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Selective deafness is an asset

Gil
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Get your hands on OUTS - PRECAUTIONS, and CHALLENGES, by Charles H Hopkins. I believe it was written in 1940, but I'm sure a quick search online would be successful in finding a place to buy it.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Quote:
On 2008-09-01 02:26, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Ok, I'll tip this. I've used it since around 1982, and never once did it not get laughs.

Spectator: Let me see the deck.

Me: (dead silence and mouth gaped open in shock). Wait...timing is everything.

"Oh, Deck. D.E.C.K.".

I've had people have their drinks come out their noses. Everyone laughs and...the request of seeing the deck passes.

Everyone once in a blue moon they say, "Can I see your deck".

I use a similar line... whenever someone asks that, I say "I don't see what that has to do with the trick, but whatever you say..." I then proceed to reach to my fly. Doing a lot of magic in high school, this is the perfect way to "dodge the bullet".
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I use Sankey's (and I'm sure many other's before Sankey) way of handling this situation as well. Just go on to another effect while telling them "Sure, let's try this one thing first, yaddi yaddi yadda." The key for making this look innocent is the way you carry yourself and your attitude. If you look fishy, then it is fishy, if everything appears normal, then it is normal. Keeping this in mind, you can avoid being asked to check the deck in the first place.
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
There is no solution to the problem of what to do if they ask to see the deck and your using a deck that can't be handed out. Any attempt to avoid the issue and the show is over only you may not have realized it.

A lot of the work put into the construction of routines is to prevent this issue in the first place. I have been working on how to have the issue come up after a strong effect. I promptly hand out the deck and say "Here - Keep it." Anything less and you have lost control of the show long before the question was asked.

During a show I'll even pretend to hear someone say "trick cards" just so I can give the deck away. Needless to say I address this early on in my routines with very specific patter lines that help prevent the question from occurring during a trick. I'm always clean at the end of a trick so this isn't problematic.
dyrwolf
View Profile
New user
The timbers of Fennario
94 Posts

Profile of dyrwolf
Quote:
On 2008-08-27 12:16, BarryFernelius wrote:
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I don't start out with a stack or with a gaffed deck. I perform a few effects that create the desire to examine the deck (example: the Haunted Pack), and because the deck is not gimmicked, it can be examined. I do some other stuff where audience members handle the cards, shuffle the cards, etc.

By the time I'm ready to ring in the gaff or switch for a stacked deck, the audience has convinced itself that the deck is perfectly ordinary. That's when the fun begins.

Excellent advice.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark — that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Favorite outs for "let me see that deck" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL