The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Custom Close-up Pad (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I'm not sure where to post this, so I'm going to try a couple different areas.

I built a few custom close-up pads to keep myself busy after recuperating from a stay at the hospital. They came out beautiful, but I can only use so many, so I decided to sell a couple.

My question is about what I should charge for them. I spent between 2 days to over a week (depending on the size, materials, etc.) on each one, being very careful and making every small detail perfect. I have 3 different models so far and working on a couple more. The 3 I have done so far are:

1. A Haloween themed 11" X 14" X 1/4" pad with a Lexan bottom, a layer of cotton padding, a layer of velvet padding, a layer of orange material, and a final cover of a see-through spider designed material. It weighs in at 14 ounces. (It came out so cool I made 2 of them!)

2. A Haloween themed 18" X 24" X 1/2" pad with a plexiglass bottom, a layer of close up pad foam, a layer of velvet, and a cover layer of a black silk material with a pattern of spider webs. It weighs a little over 4 pounds. (This one is my personal favorite.)

3. More of a close up table than a pad, a 2' X 3' X 1" pad made from a solid piece of fairly light but strong wood. It has a layer of close up pad foam, a layer of light colored velvet, and a top layer of "pool table green" soft material. The table is bordered with a light oak molding with brass corners and the bottom of the table is stained with Cherry (actually the whole piece of wood is stained to prevent moisture from soaking in, but only the bottom is visible). It weighs about 10 pounds. This would be for a professional setting I suppose.

These really have to be seen to be appreciated. They aren't like mass produced tables. Each one was done in layers, with anywhere from a few hours to a day between layers to let then set, and are built to last forever. I was going for quality, not quantity.

If you need to see photo's to get a better idea, you can PM me and I can send photos of the ones done so far. I really would appreciate getting an idea on what to sell them for. I know what the cost in materials were (they were pretty high since I wanted to get the best materials considering all the time and effort I planned on putting into them), but after that, I'm not sure.

I know I won't, and don't expect, to get anything close to what I put into them, since most people could care less whether someone spends a week or an hour on it, but I'd like to get a general idea of what to ask. Thanks in advance.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I forgot to mention, the 2 larger close-up tables have PK magnets built into them.

Jeff
APC
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1168 Posts

Profile of APC
Hey Jeff - some photos would be nice!

Adam
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Would love to take a look at the photos too.
magic-dabra
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
153 Posts

Profile of magic-dabra
Jeff. Which of the base materials did you like the best? Lexan, plexiglass, wood?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Custom Close-up Pad (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL