The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Anytime Anywhere by Jay Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
ANYTIME ANYWHERE BY JAY SANKEY

Description: A huge collection of 34 effects and routines using mainly borrowed objects. All of the effects are strong, organic, and can be performed completely impromptu. Jay presents original effects using cards, coins, pens, elastics, matches, keys, cigarette packs, and so much more.

Review: Those who have looked into this DVD may first try to compare it to it's competitive DVD project, On The Spot by Gregory Wilson. While to two DVDs are quite different, both provide very strong material that can be done totally impromptu and using mostly borrowed objects. Greg's DVD has some excellent stuff on there, but I feel Sankey's DVD provides more of a mixed bag, and certainly more material. If I had to choose to keep only one, it would be this DVD. In short, Anytime Anywhere is excellent and is a must for any walkaround or close up performer.

The DVD is well shot, crystal clear, and is chockful of material! Of course, Jay provides viewers with some of the clearest and most thorough method explanations known today in DVD magic. The menu is easily navigatable, and you should have no troubles learning or viewing anything.

The material, as mentioned before, is just excellent! There's a vast amount of mateiral, including impromptu card tricks, coin effects, stuff with borrowed objects, and so much more. Each one has such an organic feel to it and it's so great to see such powerful magic that can be performed at a moment's notice! Below, I review all 34 effects from the Anytime Anywhere DVD.

Change in Direction: Three arrows drawn on three blank business cards go through a series of very bizarre magical events. The effect ends with an unexpected climax as well. This is great to do on the fly with your business cards. Everything is examinable and the cards, of course, make for a great giveaway. What more could you ask for in a trick? 7/10

Perrenial: In lieu of the classic Sankey effect Slow Motion Coins, Jay cleanly makes three wodden matches vanish from his hand and all reappear safely tucked away inside his pocket. This effect is simple, to the point, and very magical. The match vanishes look very clean as well and Jay has developed a very convincing original retention vanish of a wooden match. 8/10

Green Thumb: A totally impromptu torn and restored card effect with a signed card, in which the magician merely flicks the card with his thumb and the tear restores. This is a good impromptu version of a sought-after classic, but I don't feel it's visual or magical enough. 6/10

Soft Spot: A key visually melts right off a borrowed keyring and then visually melts right back on! Another excellent impromptu effect, and this one looks so darn magical! Best part, you can do it with a borrowed keyring. How cool is that??? 8/10

Against All Odds: The spectator accurately predicts all of three cards you remove from the deck and place in your pocket! This is impromptu card mentalism at its best, I love this! Deck can be borrowed and thoroughly shuffled and it's all so fair! Oh, and no palming either. 9/10

The Wager: The magician removes a quarter from his pocket and tables it. Spectators empty out their pockets, getting out as much loose change as possible. All of the loose change is put into the glass, and the spectator freely removes a coin of the same value as the magician's from the glass at random. This is a completely free choice, no switches or forces whatsoever. He clearly reads the date off that coin, and the coin is dropped back into the glass. The prediction coin, which has been in full view for the entire time, is revealed to perfectly match the date on the freely selected coin!!! This is just awesome, perfect impromptu mentalism with an ingenious method. 8/10

Hypothesis Production: The magician cleanly produces three coins from the air! This is a decent impromptu effect but doesn't seem like anything too original. It uses one of Jay's classic coin magic sleights and it does look pretty convincing. 6/10

Partial Knowledge: This is just great! Jay's impromptu version of Colour Monte will blow you away! I know a lot of you will start using this right away. 9/10

Pawnbroker: A borrowed ring and a borrowed coin transpose in this beautiful, multiphased routine. This is such a magical routine again using only borrowed objects. 7/10

Heat of the Moment: A rubber band cleanly ments right through a solid pen! This has seen print before, but it is definitely a very good impromptu effect. Very easy to do and fun to use. 7/10

Double Trouble: Jay's handling of Triumph, which is actually a double Triumph effect. This one is a really fooler and one of my favourites on the DVD. 9/10

Printed Matters: An impromptu book test that's dead easy to do. This is not the greatest handing out there as another object is brought into play to decide what page will be used. Nevertheless, this could be very strong at the right time. 7/10

Inside Out: A magical and puzzling routine in which a borrowed coin repeatedly penetrates a borrowed bill that has been crumpled into a ball. Another excellent effect that was first seen in Revolutionary Coin Magic. This one is very knacky. 8/10

Heavy Metal Vanish: A clean retention vanish of a borrowed key. Excellent thinking behind this one! This has definitely got a lot of potential, especially for other applications. 8/10

Reunited: A torn and restored paper match effect. This is another awesome and very strong effect. It's also very clean and although it may not look to be in performance. It is completely impromptu. Borrow a matchbook, you can do this immediately with no extra pieces rung in. 9/10

Underbanded: Despite the deck being confined by a rubber band, the selected card is still found in an insanely visual fashion, very cool, very visual, but there's a big discrepancy at the end once the rubber band is removed from the deck. 6/10

Anywhere Wands: Not an effect, but a discussion on the useful qualities of the old Invisible Wand ruse. This is worth watching. 6/10

Solitary Confinement: This is my very favourite on this DVD. The spectator himself find his own selected card behind his back! This is so amazingly strong and so fun to do. Excellent stuff here. 10/10

Departure Time: In this effect, the four aces are removed from the pack, and the spectator is asked to name whichever pair of aces she wants... the reds or the blacks. Whatever is named, cleanly vanishes from the hands leaving just the two other aces, and the others are found reversed in the middle of the deck. Quick, to the point, and quite magical. This is a great lead-in, or follow-up, to Daley's Last Trick. 8/10

Seed Money: A very clean and convincing effect in which two pennys change into two dimes and for the big finish, those two dimes transform into two half dollars. This uses a very convincing move called the Gallo Pitch, which itself is very versatile. If you have no interest in the actual effect, you may find it of value to learn just the Gallo Pitch. 7/10

Floater: An impromptu levitation of a borrowed pack of cigarettes. This is very knacky and I think it could play well on the offbeat, but there are better methods out there. 6/10

Reversal of Fortune: An impromptu Two Coin Transposition using two quarters. This is a much improved version of Jay's K.I.S.S Transposition with an element which makes the effect so much stronger than the original. 7/10

Jam Session: A Coin in Pen Cap quickie, using no Striking Vanishes or finger palm cap productions. This is excellent, and has a lot of great subtleties that make this the perfect version of Coin in Pen Cap. 8/10

Magnetic: This is Jay's classic Magnet Card effect, in which a random card with a magnet drawn on it's back with a Sharpie, repeatedly draws a selected card to the top of the deck. For the big climax, the random maget card and the signed selection impossibly fuse together into a single card! Another excellent, excellent impromptu effect that is so flexible. You can work it into formal performance or just use it in walkaround. I love this. 9/10

The Perfect Switch: A versatile and useful coin switch. This is very knacky and requires a good sense of perfect timing, but it is very convincing and clean. 7/10

Somerassault: Another Triumph Effect with a twist. Very strong, very powerful and has an excellent and logical convincer worked into it. 8/10

Here and Gone: A brief one coin routine. This could make for a good lead in to a coin effect but for me, it just feels like a compilation of a couple of sleights. 5/10

Trial Seperation. This is a torn and restored bill effect with an added magical hook to it. Another excellent effect but my only problem is the requirement of destroying a bill. In the USA, where $1 bills are available, this might not be so bad but for us in Canada, where the lowest bill denomination is $5... well, tyou get the idea. If you're willing to ruin a little bit of cash for a powerful effect then this is definitely worth a look. 8/10

Sight Unseen: The magician names off the date of a borrowed coin being held behind his back, that he has not looked at once. This is a good impromptu mentalism quickie that could possibly be added into another mentalism routine with coins. There also appears to be no switch, which I like. 7/10

Apparition: A signed card magically appears between the magician's hands, folded into quarters! More classic Sankey, very simple in method and very creative and magical. This has the power to really freak out spectators. 8/10

Slow Motion #2: The second version of the Slow Motion Coins effect, in which the magician ends completely clean. I also like the added element of the coins all ending up in different spots on the magician's person, rather than in the original in which all three coins ended up in the same pocket. Great impromptu stuff! 9/10

Under The Influence: This is brilliant! This is another handling of Jay's own Stirring Silver, only this time a borrowed ring impossibly penetrates the side of a rolled up borrowed bill with the ends being held tightly by a spectator. this is just awesome. 10/10

Somebody Else's Money: A very simple and brainless effect in which the spectator attempts to find his selected card. The effect ends with an twist. Some spectators may see the climax coming from a mile away, other might have no chance. not one of my favourites. 6/10

Past, Present, Future: The magician predicts three events the spectator is thinking of... one event from the past, another from the present, and another from the future. Excellent stuff here, this is a real performance piece using one of Jay's favourite principles in mentalism. 9/10

Those are all of the effects on the Anytime Anywhere. If you love impromptu magic and are looking for a mixed bag of offbeat and powerful effects, thid is definitely for you. There's something for everyone on this DVD and I can forsee at least a few effects ending up in the repertoire of the purchaser.

Overall I give this DVD an 8/10. Like I said before, this is pretty much a must-have for lovers of impromptu close up and and walkaround material.

Michael Kras
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2926 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Michael,

Thank you so much for writing such a detailed review. I'm tempted to pick this up.

Elliott
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I don't have this Jay Sankey DVD, so Micahel, very much the detailed review!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Glad you found this of use! I apologize for the large amount of spelling and grammatical errors in the review. I guess I missed quite a few in revision and hey, I was really tired at the time!

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Michael, thanks for taking the time to write this review in detail.

I, too, enjoy Under The Influence, Magnetic, Partial Knowledge, Against All Odds, and Double Trouble. A lot of good strong materials here. Anytime Anywhere by Jay Sankey is an excellent DVD with a variety of effects and applications.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of mayniac
Have you tried out Pawnbroker? It's one of my favorites, and my audiences love it!
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6961 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
This is one of Sankey's BEST. A real value.
Airave
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
137 Posts

Profile of Airave
There is a lot of very good material in Anytime, Anywhere.
Some of my favorites are Partial Knowledge, Pawn Broker,
Double Trouble, Reunited, Solitary Confinement, Departure
Time....

Haha, I sure understand your difficulty with Trial Seperation-
my lowest is €5.... worth about $7.50. Also the dates are so small
one our Euro coinage that I need a lupe to read them, so some of
the cool coin routines of Sankeys I have to pass on. Too bad, but
still plenty of Magic in there!
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Wow! So much worse than us... now I do not feel so bad about needing to destroy a couple of Fivers.

Thinking back, I probably should have given Pawnbroker an 8 or 9 out of 10. It rocks! The first few times I watched the DVD I viewed the performance of Pawnbroker with a passive attitude, thinking "Another transpo effect.... greeeeat". But watching it again, keeping how much you guys thought of it in mind, I really got to watch it and think it's awesome!

Airave
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
137 Posts

Profile of Airave
Just don't make a habit of it and go broke! ;D

I know what you mean, Michaelmystic2003. It is easy
to sometimes bypass great routines just because you
"know too much". We all do that.

And thanks for your review! It is always interesting
to hear the valued and educated opinions of others.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1984 Posts

Profile of puggo
I have this, and haven't looked at it for a while. Perhaps I'll go back for a revisit having read this thread. My favourite Sankey 'mixture' (cards, coins etc)is still Front Row by quite a way. It really has strong stuff on it.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Front Row is an excellent DVD, lots of real workers in there. I'm also a huge fan of Firestarters, Revolutionary Card Magic, Sankey Skutt Sessions, Underground Jam, and Sankey Live.

puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1984 Posts

Profile of puggo
Michael,
Re: 'Trial Seperation' In the UK, our lowest value note is £5, so I know what you mean. I was using dollars for some effects, but have recently taken to visiting holiday money shops, and asking for any non valid notes (and explain that they are for magic tricks!). I have been given bank notes from Namibia, Korea (I think)and other places.
While not suitable for every effect, I have put them to use in a few routines.
Charlie
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1984 Posts

Profile of puggo
I've just re-watched this DVD. Slow Mo 2, and Trial Seperation are personal favourites. I will use zero value money for Trial Seperation, as it is the serial number that sells it. If I fall flat on my face with it, I'll report back!
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Do you know how hard it was for me to find this! No, not at a dealer, but in my DVD library. I own over 80 Sankey Products (yes I counted).

Anyway, I just rewatched pawnbroker. I'd forgotten about that effect. Very cool effect.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Wow! I myself only own about 15 effects and 15 DVDs of his.

evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Owning over 50 Sankey products, I continue to find gems each time I re-watch and re-visit his DVDs/effects.. Amazing, Jay is truly a genius.
Pawnbroker a magical transposition routine with just a coin and a ring is not that difficult to do and I think it ties in with Ring leader well.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2008-09-06 17:26, evolve629 wrote:
Owning over 50 Sankey products, I continue to find gems each time I re-watch and re-visit his DVDs/effects.. Amazing, Jay is truly a genius.
Pawnbroker a magical transposition routine with just a coin and a ring is not that difficult to do and I think it ties in with Ring leader well.

Jay and I have become very close friends over the past few years. I love his wife and his two kids... adorable... The more I've gotten to know him, the more I realize how true it is that he is absolutely brilliant. I've been a fan for almost 20 years now... freaky!

I've got tricks, moves, theories, ideas in my repertoire that I've had for years that I picked up along the way from other magicians. Then I'll read an old set of Sankey Lecture notes or watch one of his early videos only to discover that he was the originator of the concept... He's everywhere, and we truly are blessed for it.

I can't say enough about Jay as a magician and Jay as a father, husband and human in general... salt of the earth kind of guy... one of the very very very few people in the world who have earned the title "true friend."

This DVD (Anytime, Anywhere) is evidence of his generosity to the magi... 34 effects... something like 3 hours long.... for $30 bucks... I mean... seriously, who does that... super value. Anyway, I'll get off of my "I Love Jay" soapbox for now...

:)
balic2003
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of balic2003
Quote:
"Then I'll read an old set of Sankey Lecture notes or watch one of his early videos only to discover that he was the originator of the concept..."

like paperclipped?!

ask alexander de cova what he is thinking about this;-)
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2008-09-14 00:10, balic2003 wrote:
Quote:
"Then I'll read an old set of Sankey Lecture notes or watch one of his early videos only to discover that he was the originator of the concept..."

like paperclipped?!

ask alexander de cova what he is thinking about this;-)

Paperclipped was not one that I had in mind... It would appear that you have some information you are withholding... please don't be cryptic... What do you have to say?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Anytime Anywhere by Jay Sankey (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL