The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » A routine I'm rather proud of... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Feel free to critique. I'm sure my handling of the actual prop could be improved, as could my stage presence. I'm rather proud of the patter though, its probably the best patter I've ever come up with. (That may or may not be saying much.)

I HOPE this performance is good enough that I am at least not another YouTube incompetent....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUHYljv4xOw
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Wow I am the first to comment on this... Anyway. I thought it was good. I like the idea of the patter and Elvis etc. Very original in that way. I think it (with a little more practice) would work very well for lay audiences especially from behind a bar like that. That being said...I have very strong opinions about the use of coin boxes in routines designed for the lay audiences , but it will work. If I were you I would make it a keeper nd work on your coin "moves" a little bit more. Definitely original and we need to see more thinking like this with magic. Also the patter could very easily be updated for younger crowds using different musicians etc. Keep up the good work. And by the way you are not a youtube incompetent...there are a lot of them ..don't put your self on that list.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Thanks, I really appreciate the encouragement.

I'm curious what your issues with coin boxes are. I've found my okito to be a useful general tool, but if there are issues you've found with it I'd love to hear about them.
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
374 Posts

Profile of Bill
I liked the thinking on the story. The performance was a little stiff. I'd like to see you relax and let your personality come through. I don't think you need the Okito box, you can easily produce the half dollar and vanish it with sleight of hand.

Good thinking and routining though.
Donnie
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Donnie
Hey great work man! I like the routine a lot. The patter suits you. As far as the coin box it can be justified. In other words open by saying "you ever see one of these?(showing the box) It's a time capsule. Check out what I've got inside its a 50 cent piece not even in general circulation anymore its got jfk on it etc...." The box looks unusual so by calling it a time capsule it turns it into an interesting artifact rather than a suspect prop. Also it segues nicely into the patter surrounding historical figures. Also as an added climax you could put the coinbox in the specs hand "bury the time capsule in your hand (before elvis vanishes)are you over thirty? Then you know that elvis has left the building" this added bit would strengthen the vanish and allow you misdirection to eprform a watch steal if you like with the added climax of "elvis is gone so is jfk I guess time flies" and reveal the watch. Those are some thoughts. I genuinely enjoyed the routine and handling. Keep on keepin on brother!

-Don
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Thanks guys. I agree the performance is somewhat stiff. I have a tendency to rush and speak indistinctly when I'm nervous. I suspect I was somewhat over-compensating. That's good feedback and a good thing to work on, thanks. I'm finding performing for the video camera, while a bit nerve wracking, is a great way to "see myself as others see me". I'll keep working on it and maybe update the video when I think its significantly improved.

I guess just introducing the box as the holder for the half isn't strong enough justification. I liked the time capsule suggestion. I'm also thinking maybe I could justify by announcing I'm a coin collector and that I keep a special coin in this case. I'll mull it over some, again thanks for pointing out the weakness in the story there.
Quote:
On 2008-08-31 18:11, Bill wrote:
I liked the thinking on the story. The performance was a little stiff. I'd like to see you relax and let your personality come through. I don't think you need the Okito box, you can easily produce the half dollar and vanish it with sleight of hand.

Good thinking and routining though.

Without getting deep into reveals, there's a minor technical issue there. Part of the Dream Coin Set is a piece that I've been told is generically called a "slippery sam". It's as good as its name. While I've been doing half dollar sleights since I was a kid, I'm rather afraid the Sam would slip off if I tried to do most of the vanishes I know, or the only real appearance I know (the thumb palm miser's dream move.)

Dumping the coin from the box into my hand at the beginning affords me a moment to insure that the sam is properly placed on the half for the subsequent move.

The old classic french drop might work for the vanish, I suppose. I'm not sure what I'd use for an appearance though

Hmm been mulling it over.

I'm going to play a bit with slipping the Sam off and palming it away.

If I can cleanly get rid of it the rest can be handled like a normal coin.

Edit, Additional Thought: You know... if I can do that I can do the spectator's hand switch with the Canadian two that I've been doing as a sort of "follow on" and make it one clean routine that leaves the audience member just with the $2 coin.

I *really* like that. It'll probably require a dropper for the $2 coin but that's not a big deal.

I'll work on it some as well as working on unstiffening a bit and let you guys know when I think I've made significant progress.

Thank you VERY much for the input Smile
Quick Update: Just tried that in the mirror. That's easier then I thought it would be and it works great in the routine!

Blind spot on my part that I never thought of ditching the Sam before. Major thanks for leading me past that.

Let me practice that for a week or two and I'll shoot a new video of the improved routine.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Looking forward to the video of the improved routine.
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
374 Posts

Profile of Bill
Sounds like you're really working on this. Good for You!! I had a though if you want to try the routine without the Okito box. Classic Palm the coin. You don't have to show your hand empty. Just nonchalantly pick up a wadded ball of flash paper, reach over to a candle you already have lit on the table, and throw the fireball into the hand with the coin. This makes a spectacular production of a coin. Then to vanish it, learn a good retention vanish and ditch the coin into your breast pocket as you pull up your sleeves before showing the vanish.
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
That was great man. What I hated was that youtube put your legitimate magic video, With tutorial videos right next to it.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Yeah that sucks. Even worse it put it with "reveal' videos.

I actually have a miny diatribe against reveal videos in the full description of my video.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Thanks for sharing.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Quote:
On 2008-09-03 14:51, Cyberqat wrote:

I actually have a miny diatribe against reveal videos in the full description of my video.

You have a problem with reveal videos? How come you chose to attempt to expose my effect in the "Plain Creepy" thread?

I'm a bit confused.

Is it ok for you to attempt to expose another performer's effect but you have something against "reveal" videos? Wha...?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13154 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2008-09-03 17:27, ALEXANDRE wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-09-03 14:51, Cyberqat wrote:

You have a problem with reveal videos? How come you chose to attempt to expose my effect in the "Plain Creepy" thread?

I'm a bit confused.

Is it ok for you to attempt to expose another performer's effect but you have something against "reveal" videos? Wha...?

Real good point!

Tony
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
OH.. do NOT even TRY to conflate these two. I'm going to by pass my usual cynicism and assume that this is just rank ignorance talking and explain why you are comparing apples and elephants.

I have a problem with people exposing the workings of magicians. All that does is ruin the audience's experience for the personal ego gratification of the exposer.

I have NO problem with magicians exposing con-men. In fact, it is our duty as magicians to do so to prevent people from being duped into false beliefs about the real world. You crossed the line from one to the other when you claimed your "trick" was not a trick but a legitimate demonstration of psychic phenomena.

I am far from alone in the industry in this distinction. I suggest you read up on both Harry Houdini and the Amazing Randi. And they weren't the only luminaries in our field to believe similarly and do this.

Note that I have not yet gone so far as to even attempt to reveal it to your audience, which is what both Houdini and Randi have done. I am still hoping you will come to an ethical understanding where you are willing to admit to your audience what you are and not, and you will thus make such unnecessary.

By the way....

I'm not surprised that someone so desperate for attention would go trolling with his sidekick in other forum topics. I have no intention of responding to this off topic diversion beyond what I have already stated.

If this topic interests you on an ethical level, please take it here...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=177&18

So, my apologies for this unfortunate little blow up that bled over into this thread.

Fact of the matter is, I over-reacted to Alexandre's video. I've already apologized for that in the more appropriate threads. And the post he mentions, while not actually exposing anything he does, was kind of mean spirited and made in the heat of the moment. (I've apologized for that too.)

I still have not been convinced that there is not an ethical line to be drawn where magicians start claiming to their audience to be other then what they are, but there was no need to get so heated about such a minor and likely non-deliberate occurrence.

That's all I'm going to post about it here. Again my apologies for the general tempest in a teapot.
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1417 Posts

Profile of feher
Nice work loved the patter. I know its hard to perform for a camera but try to loosen up some, Don't get use to looking at the camera when you practise becasue that will trow you off when the camera isn't there.
Keep up the good work
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » A routine I'm rather proud of... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL