The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Is this ok for now? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Did post this earlier but think it got deleted as it had a link to a certain auction site, so hopefully this is ok like this

anyways, is this kind of pouch suitable as a short term answer for my strolling gigs?
frank I will buy yours in the long run but when funds permit

Size - (6"H) x (5"W) x (3"D)
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Dante_Ravenkin
View Profile
New user
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
90 Posts

Profile of Dante_Ravenkin
That's a nice pouch! Where'd you find it Purist? And as long as it holds what you need, I'm sure it'll be good enough. For now. Franks pouches seem amazing though. I can't wait to get one for myself...
'For Those Who Believe, No Explanation is Necessary. For Those Who Do Not, None Will Suffice.' - Joseph Dunninger

~Kirk~
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
That's a useful looking pouch. Does it go around your waist?
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Would clip onto a belt
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
How do you want to use it? What do you intend to put into it?
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
2 packs of cards, TT, lighter, sharpie, few coins, got a light, few packet tricks, business cards
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
You have a good close up performance there.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I've never understood things like this. Am I the only guy working solely out of my pockets? What I carry on my body on any given night: 2 decks, ring and rope, rubber bands on my wrist, sharpie in coat pocket, coin purse with coins, egg bag in outer breast pocket, card to wallet, and occasionally in my jacket pocket for ring on stick. Still very comfortable, no rattling around, and with all that, I can go for 4 hours. Cups and balls slightly larger props stay in my case behind the bar until I need them. In the places I work, this would just look silly when I'm in a suit or tux. I want my magic to look casual, here, I have a deck of cards, or a few coins. No speical case or anything.
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Hey pep
I'm working my 1st paid gig in a few days and intend to work from my pockets, I want a pouch mainly for storage of all my props for home and getting to gigs, once I'm there ive worked out in my head what goes were for switches etc
thikn I'll prob get this only cos its £7 so not a bank breaker but I may be like you and prefere my pockets
illusionist13
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of illusionist13
I have always worked from my pockets. If somehow you could conceal it under your coat or something.....i think that if you were going to rock something like this, might as well wear a fanny pack sideways, and work from there, AND you could hold more things!
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Its the different compartments I like as everything has its place
Mark McDermott
View Profile
Regular user
Union Mills, IN
111 Posts

Profile of Mark McDermott
This type of pouch would seem to be a pain to me. As you have a big flap to lift to get into the working part of the pouch itself.

I do plan on someday getting Frank's pouch ( as the zipper is on top ) for a few extra items.

Mark
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Mainly I think I'll get 1 for the storage of props when not working but the main compartment would hold cards which would be in my pocket as soon as I started, I want franks to, time too start saving!
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I don't find anything wrong with the pouch, Purist. You mentioned that items would go into your pocket when you reach the performing venue. Those compartments are excellent for organising your close-up items. The pouch is ideal for organizing your items for travelling purpose.
Mark McDermott
View Profile
Regular user
Union Mills, IN
111 Posts

James,

If the pouch works well for Purist I'm very happy. If your not going to it when performing I like it.... for my working the flap would not work.

just my opinion,

Mark
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Hi, Purist.

I recently attended a lecture by Jeff McBride. One of the things he pointed out is that memorable magicians always project a certain image. I don't know if that's clear. He didn't mean that memorable magicians all present the same image. Rather, they create an image and always present it.

So if you would like to be a memorable magician, rather than just some guy who does tricks, I would respectfully suggest that you consider this.

I don't know if that particular pouch will work for you or not. What I would suggest is that you ask yourself, "As a magician, who am I? What image am I trying to project? Does this pouch (or any aspect of dress or choice of effects) reflect that image?"

Your original question was, "is this kind of pouch suitable as a short term answer for my strolling gigs?" My answer: Looks to me like it might work, however only you can judge that. The real question, however, is "How does it fit your professional persona?" If it fits, use it. If it doesn't fit, don't use it.
Mark McDermott
View Profile
Regular user
Union Mills, IN
111 Posts

Very well said

Mark
martin king
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of martin king
Quote:
On 2008-09-23 04:00, dmkraig wrote:
Hi, Purist.

I recently attended a lecture by Jeff McBride. One of the things he pointed out is that memorable magicians always project a certain image. I don't know if that's clear. He didn't mean that memorable magicians all present the same image. Rather, they create an image and always present it.

So if you would like to be a memorable magician, rather than just some guy who does tricks, I would respectfully suggest that you consider this.

I don't know if that particular pouch will work for you or not. What I would suggest is that you ask yourself, "As a magician, who am I? What image am I trying to project? Does this pouch (or any aspect of dress or choice of effects) reflect that image?"

Your original question was, "is this kind of pouch suitable as a short term answer for my strolling gigs?" My answer: Looks to me like it might work, however only you can judge that. The real question, however, is "How does it fit your professional persona?" If it fits, use it. If it doesn't fit, don't use it.

Okay, I'm going to take this quote up a bit further, but only from my point of view!

Let's get back to that old chestnut, 'What is a REAL magician?'...

Is it someone that would arrive at your restaurant table and pull all his bits and pieces ('props' to you and me) out of a pouch?...

Or, (and this is my opinion), is a REAL magician someone that could just pick up whatever there is to hand (a wine glass, a salt shaker, etc) and perform some mind blowing magic with it?...

Having said the above, by all means carry a deck of cards upon your person, because no sane-minded person, (other than us magicians...and are we really sane-minded?), walks around with a deck of cards in their pockets. (But instead, of just pulling it out of your pocket, why not try to magically produce it(?)...See David Stone's video)

As far as a Sharpie, wallet (for the card to wallet), coins, a cigarette and a lighter, a piece of string (attached to your keys to keep them together?); well everyone might carry those.

As far as the 'invisible' props such as a thumb tip, flash paper, card on ceiling waw, well, they ARE meant to be invisible!

Just my own personal opinions.

Having said the above, I too, am a fan of pouches, but I'd never use one when performing close up! I want my close up to seem completely spontaneous.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Is this ok for now? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL