The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst trick in general use? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Great Domino
View Profile
Special user
Canada
544 Posts

Profile of Great Domino
To be honest, I don't really like the Raven. Whether the coin vanishes from your hand or their hand, what's the difference. I know, I know, they feel it go but I just feel sooo dishonest. I'm keeping that one out of my bag of tricks.
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
I agree that a dove pan is right up there. $2000 magician - I don't care how good you are, you cannot make a dove pan deceptive (entertaining, maybe). Just because people don't tell you how it works doesn't mean they don't know. It just means they are polite or uninterested. You can fool kids but teenagers and up ,but I doubt it.

But my ultimate vote is for the squared circle; not only is it not deceptive but it's incredibly conceived, even with a decent routine.

Matt
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2003-04-10 01:16, jongallagher wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-04-09 23:53, Darkwing wrote:
Worst trick in general use? The tie for first place in my book is zombie and dancing cane.

Two BEAUTIFUL effects in the hands of the right person.

Well then, chances are I have never seen either performed correctly.

Please don't take personal offense Jon, but the first time I saw the zombie and the dancing cane, I was a kid and to me it was just a ball on a st**k and a cane on a t****d.
ryansmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Reading, PA
147 Posts

Profile of ryansmagic
There are a lot of tricks that don't work for me. However, in the right hands, they could be great. Rember the old saying, "This guy is so good he could sell ice in Alaska," or something close to that.
Ryan Parsons
[email]ryanparsons@comcast.net[/email]
http://www.magicformiracles.com
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
If the audience is confused by it or doesn't enjoy it then it is a bad trick. I don't really see too much bad magic just bad performances.

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2003-04-10 20:00, debaser wrote:
I agree that a dove pan is right up there. $2000 magician - I don't care how good you are, you cannot make a dove pan deceptive (entertaining, maybe). Just because people don't tell you how it works doesn't mean they don't know. It just means they are polite or uninterested. You can fool kids but teenagers and up ,but I doubt it.

But my ultimate vote is for the squared circle; not only is it not deceptive but it's incredibly conceived, even with a decent routine.

Matt

It's S2000--as in Honda's incredible sports car--not $2000. I wish I were a $2000 (per hour, per show, even per day) magician! That's a ways off!
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
I guess we could modify the old acting quote to...

"There are no bad tricks...only bad performers."

But then again there is always the "dime'and ring" trick to prove me wrong. god i hated that trick!!!

Mat
magician_carter
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of magician_carter
I would agree with the dancing cane. I have not seen it performed well. The first time I saw it, the magicians moves were so jerky it looked like cane was attached to a rope and some one was pulling him.

Zombie, however, I have seen performed very well and even though I knew the effect, it still stuns me.

May be we can convince Ammar to do a zombie video.

Yours in Magic,

Carter
Without Magic, Life is Boring.
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
Contrary to popular belief - There ARE BAD TRICKS. Any trick can be entertaining (satire, etc..), but there are tricks that will never be good.

Chaplin, Laurie, etc.. are actors who were always good, that doesn't mean they were good movies.

Some tricks are just straight up bad ideas. I worked in a magic shop for years and I could go into one right now and pull out 10 plain bad tricks.

I don't know what lecturer or book keeps spouting this myth about "no bad magic," but it just isn't true.

All that being said...if people don't like your effects, it is much more likely the performance than the props.

Matt
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
Carter writes:
"Maybe we can convince Ammar to do a zombie video."

Aren't they all?

Dave
Saqib16
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Saqib16
-Dancing cane.
-Thumbtip.
-Sponge balls.
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
TT in general use is bad. I have to agree. I see and read all too often about people doing their TT routine where they make a silk appear and vanish it. I seriously SCREAM when I read that. That is not a 'routine'!

Not even a good effect!

Another thing I'd say is the worst trick is the Svengali Deck. I just sit and cry at night when I see it performed.

Chris
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
WOW!!! I cringe at anyone who mocks the power of either the Svengali, sponge balls, or the T.T.

Nothing personal, but have any of you forgotten how powerful the effect was on you when you first walked into a magic shop and saw these effects?!?!?!

These effects are incredibly powerful and, IMHO, it is only those who thumb their noses at easy tricks because "anyone can do them" forget that. These tricks and so many other simple tricks are still powerful effects to the layman/woman. While some may cringe at the simple silk vanish, I dare you to look around, because every other face in the house will have their jaw dropped in awe and amazement. Or look at their faces when the two balls appear in their hand, or when the entire deck turns into their selected card and then back to normal again.

I stand by the belief that any trick can be done well if you find the right performance for it. It may not suit your character, but that does not make it a bad trick!! Personally I hate the Haunted Key but I have seen others do it so well that it scares the hell out of the audience.

Just my $0.02

Mat
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
Gosh darn it all to Heck!
I was just putting the final touches on my new Sponge Svengali Deck that fits into a thumb tip.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Sorry, Payne...Pete Best already beat you to it, and he throws in several Orville Redenbacher popcorn kernels, to boot.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I disagree that there are no bad tricks or that every trick was done well by somebody at some point. There is a BUNCH of crap on the market that is garbage, and the "creator" clearly never even tried it in the real world. And there are a BUNCH of items that have a good concept but are so poorly made, they are unusable. Why? Because there are a BUNCH of people out there who are only out to make a quick buck, and they know magicians will buy anything!

But the worst trick? Easy! The one you show to your audience before you've really learned it!

I used to own a magic shop. I can't tell you how many times people would come in asking for "Something really good--I've got a show later today!"

OUCH!!!

My response to those people: "Sorry, I can't help you there. I do have some stuff that's really good, but it will require some time to practice and rehearse before you'll be able to do it well."
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
There is a bunch of really bad magic out there, but I don't think any of it is in what I would term "general use." That would require a lot of magicians performing it and I can't see an effect so bad that so many would be using it. I rate the quality of an effect based on spectator reactions (of course there are other things to be considered, but I'm sure we'd all agree that that's the most important factor). If an effect is not generating amazement it's not a good effect and I don't think it'll go far with very many magicians.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10824 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
The worst trick in 2003: Reality Twister. The reason is...this is not a trick, it is a optical illusion.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Hmmm...I have been fighting to find an answer to this question. The problem is, everytime I think of a particular trick which has really stunk being performed by a paticular magician, I can remember another magician KILLING with the same effect.

Maybe this has been mentioned earlier in this thread ( I admit, I didn't read every post), but I think the truth is WE are responsible to make each and every effect as close to a miracle as possible. If you fail miserably at this...then maybe you/I should find a new hobby.

This opens a great challenge ( which may have been posted somewhere). I propose that everybody who has posted a paticular effect that you thought stunk, go dig it out of your drawers or buy it and spend as much time as possible to make it one of your stronger effects. If you can manage that...then you are more than worthy to live long and prosper as a real magician! Smile

Hmmmm...now where the heck is my old dove pan?! Smile
Good luck!
Chance Wolf
Wolf's magic
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2003-04-11 23:59, Seismic wrote:
TT in general use is bad. I have to agree. I see and read all too often about people doing their TT routine where they make a silk appear and vanish it. I seriously SCREAM when I read that. That is not a 'routine'!

Not even a good effect!

Another thing I'd say is the worst trick is the Svengali Deck. I just sit and cry at night when I see it performed.

Chris

Come to Boston and I'll bet you five bucks I can fool you with it.

This is a trick that almost everyone does poorly. It doesn't mean it can't be done well and by some it is.

My routine for it is also funny and magical. people request it, pay to see it, and talk about it after the show.

Best,

Dan-

Scott G’s post just nailed it! I agree 100% one thing I would add though is there are a lot of tricks that some “magicians” think are good that are junk and a lot of tricks that some “magicians” think are junk that are great.

You watch guys like Steve Kradolpher or Bob Sheets KILL a room with nothing more than a fist full of sponge bunnies and you can not deny that this is a powerful, magical, and entertaining piece of magic.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst trick in general use? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL