The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Magellan Levitation (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
bosque
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of bosque
Hi everyone. I just wanted to report that I performed the Magellan Levitation as a closer for a Halloween show last night for about 50 people in a school Caféteria.
It produced gasps, laughter and lots of applause. Once again, I have to say thanks to Jimmy for releasing this. For me, this is fantastic.
--Steve Bosque
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
Steve,
This is similiar to the reactions that I have been getting as well with the Magellan. And I have one of the early models. This piece has been significantly enhanced since my early model.

I get PM questions about the angles of this. Angles are great from my perspective. Can you explain the angles that you performed in the school Caféteria? It might give a clear idea of the angles. Also, did you have a curtain or did you setup/cleanup in front of the crowd as designed?
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Find them at: http://www.masterofillusions.ca/
bosque
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of bosque
Hi Scott-
Glad to hear you're getting good reactions (I've seen your video clip at the Magic Garage and thought it looked great...it helped sell me on the idea of purchasing the Magellan). The angles were fairly good except to my right side which had audience members a little too close for comfort. Nonetheless, I was able to cover the angles by holding the cloth a little tighter to my body on the right. One thing I need to watch out for is lifting the cloth too high and exposing the base. I know I just need to keep in practice which is no problem since this is so much fun to do! I did not have a curtain and chose simply to have the cloth piled up on the ground throughout the set, and then go straight into the levitation. Doing it this way does not allow you to lift the cloth high and show your feet before the levitation, but I noticed on some of Jimmy's video clips that he doesn't do this everytime anyway, and the effect is still looks good. By placing a folded towel in the spot where you lay the g*****k down after the descent, I was able to eliminate the noise. I'm looking forward to using this awsome tool again soon. All the best.
---Steve Bosque
nique
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
940 Posts

Profile of nique
Have performed this a a few gigs now, and it always draws gasps from the audience. With regard to Jimmy, he's really a great guy and is genuinely concerned about ensuring you're getting the most out of the Magellan. He's shared many tips with me over email and the bouncing of ideas back and forth have really helped in getting the illusion to work just fine.

Thanks Jimmy. Really appreciate all your time.
https://youtube.com/user/nateuqin

"ChairLess - A Chair Prediction"

"Epique - A Mental Epic"

"TAP - The Assignment Prediction"

PM or email me for details:

niquetan@gmail.com

Reviews here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462773&forum=303&13

https://m.facebook.com/niquetanmindreader/

www.niquetan.com
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Hello everyone,

Please note that the increase in the price of the current Magellan model reflects an improvement in the current units, any built since the beginning of this month, June 2009.

The current model includes a self contained transport system, as opposed to the previous sheet connected system. Much more convenient, clean, and easier to wash the satin cloth than the older version with the cloth and attachments.

These units are all hand-made, and variations within the previous production models are possible. All what I would consider evolutionary upgrades.

I only offer online video instructions, due to the low price and the difficulty in putting the performance finesses in writing. The effect is highly dependent on rehearsed nuances in performance that would be better described as a mime or movement presentation than a magic act.

I should not be surprised with pre-owned used Magellans being offered for sale. I would cite a difficult economy and a performer's inability to discern between the audience response to this being presented properly and the reaction to the usual suspension.

This is not a push-button, "wheel it out, pull a lever, wheel it off of the stage" effect. The best comparison that I could make would be with Karson's Zombie. If someone puts the work into the presentation, they will have a jaw-dropping miracle. If you buy it, and don't try it or follow the instructions closely, and if you try to get too fancy with the presentation without thought about the changes, you'll end up with a 'ball on a st**k.'

As a performer, are you losing the credit for creating the miracles in your act? Losing out to the perception that the boxes, bases and boards are doing the magic? Contraptions and contrivances are doing the magic, not cleverness and concept. Just think about it. Don't fall in love with the glossy finish or the big prop on stage, when YOU can be the focus of the levitation in YOUR act.

In my shows, I put the audience response first. I own a very effective version of the traditional Harbin/Gwynne suspension and this Magellan levitation, and the audience response to this is enough to never, ever even imagine using the conventional Harbin/Gwynne suspension, ever again.

My fabricators are constantly working on ways to lighten the unit, using advanced materials and alterations in design that don't affect the strength or reliability of the prop.

At this time, these units are being hand made, one-by-one, on a per order basis. Made to order.

Thanks for all of the positive reviews and support from the brave magicians who dare to step up to the challenge of being different, giving their audiences something better.

Jimmy Fingers
http://www.magellanlevitation.com
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Can the Descension be done without re-lifting the cloth?

Thanks
Kent
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Hi Kent,

No, the descending can only be done in a similar manner to the ascension. But, there has never been a question about that. Is there a motivation for descending without it? I might be able to help.

JF
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
Hey guys,

I've seen some of the improvements that Jimmy has made to the Magellan Levitation, and I must say that they are north of genius. When Jimmy told me that he was messing around slightly with design changes to the original, I initially cringed since I couldn't really imagine how you could improve upon it. I have one of the very first models and I love the way it works. But Jimmy has for sure raised the bar and improved upon this levitaion.

Improvements include a new setup system that is now self contained in the unit, ability to perform in more places due to some stability enhancements of the design and decreased sway of the originals versions. Efforts have been made to allow heavier magicians to levitate as well. Jimmy can set up you "huskier" magician to float as well.

Great work, Jimmy!
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Thanks for the updates, Scott... Just so everyone knows, since that report, I was able re-engineer a 3-point base carpet stabilization system into the new units, and a new way of retrieving the transport system. Like Scott says, I've made these units much more stable and confidence inspiring by adding more strength where it's needed and trimming where necessary.

If anyone has an older unit, and would like to upgrade, the price of the upgrade, $425, is less than the difference in price of the new one vs. the old one. In other words, if you added the original price of the old unit to the price of the upgrade using the exchange program, the combined price would be less than the retail price of a new one.

I'm also offering customized service for heavier magicians who want to float, as well. I am lowering the lift from just under 18" to about 15" for those over 260 lbs. who might have problems with the more physical aspects of this piece.

Also, Hocus-Pocus is offering these units at this time. Thanks to Paul and Ken for their support of all of the Magellan product line through the last few years. They're involvement adds huge legitimacy and credibility to this project.

Jimmy Fingers
http://www.magellanlevitation.com
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
This is one of the neatest, self contained illusions that I have ever seen.
This week, I watched an episode of America's Got Talent. A magician on there did a very quick teleportation type effect.
First thing that I thought of was that Magellan would blow them out of the water.
One of you young whippersnappers should jump all over it.

Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Hi everyone!

Please see the new live performance with huge audience response.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCMghdmnzHg

Thanks for the overwhelming support and enthusiasm that everyone has shown for this piece!

Jimmy
Aftereight
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Aftereight
For at least two years I wanted to do self levitation, but I didn't get good info of other levitations, but when I read info about ML on this forum and on the ML web page I decided that I will buy Magellan levitation and put it on my show.

Thanks...

Matt
FoxRobert
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of FoxRobert
Hi Aftereight,
did you already buy the levitation? What is your experiances with it?
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
This is the second time I'm considering this again - but every time I watch the video, it doesn't look good. It just looks like the magician is stepping on a support of sort - doesn't look like any levitation what-so-ever. Am I missing something?

And the reveal looks really suspicious. That cloth is gigantic and the magi looks like he's about to tople over trying to balance on one foot.

I really want to like this. Does it really look different in person than on youTube?
rockthemike
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
695 Posts

Profile of rockthemike
I have no problem believing the Padre or Bill or randi, and I don't think you should either. But that is only my humble opinion.
Michael Wong
Wizard
http://michaelwong.says.so
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Hi, I just wanted to share, with his permission, a note that I received from Pascal Koller regarding this levitation.

Hi Jimmy

Yesterday I've done the Magellan Levitaton for my director to take it in my program.

He flipped out! And he sees a lot of magic...
Think I'll take it as closer.

Thanks a lot for the development and sharing.

From Switzerland
Magically

Pascal
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
I received the latest Magellan Master levitation just before Christmas. If you remember, I had the earliest 1.0 version (maybe you could even call it the beta version) that I used in a video once posted on the Café.

When I opened the latest version (the one that Jimmy is shipping now), I was astounded by the improvements from the original. This is like version 7.0. The thinking that Jimmy has put into this to improve all aspects of the illusion was incredible. He improved the stability, the foot view/dangle, the get ready system, the cleanup system, the cloth and the cloth positioning in the final reveal. I'll tell you that previously it looked good. Now it looks like a miracle.

Well done, Jimmy. Your awesome, relentless focus on minute details absolutely paid off here.

Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Is there a video available that demos the latest version? I also own one of the first generation Magellan's and I think its great. I'd like to "see" the difference from the audience perspective.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Hi Kent,

This is the video of the current version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCMghdmnzHg

Filmed in front of a couple of hundred magicians with significant others, at a wedding in Texas.

The newer version has better angles... The gimmick is better hidden from angles than the previous versions.

I'll email you the picture of it, I know that you had a previous version.

JF
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Magellan Levitation (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL