The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Tearing a deck of cards in half (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jon Royer
View Profile
New user
Warminster, PA
70 Posts

Profile of Jon Royer
I was wondering if anyone has any tips on this. I have read the method from two different sources. I was wondering if a certain deck of cards is easier to grip compared to others, or if new decks are better than old decks.

If there is a knack to this I don't know it. I have been just trying to rip it with the grip detailed in the books. I am not up to a full deck yet and have been working with bicycle cards.

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon
hypnodoc
View Profile
New user
WA
64 Posts

Profile of hypnodoc
Plastic coated cards are more difficult, Less expensive decks that are not coated are easier to start.
ReggieB
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia, PA, USA
183 Posts

Profile of ReggieB
Quote:
On 2008-09-03 14:49, Jon Royer wrote:
I am not up to a full deck yet

haha (me either...)
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Check out Steve McGranahan's website. He has a few dvd's and will respond to any questions you send him.
http://www.stevemcgranahan.com/
I use the packs that are two for 1.00 at Wal Mart.
He makes some recommendations on his dvd's. I don't want to reveal them because it could take his business away and he is a really great guy.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
I also used the cheap ones, and really just wears your wrists out doing it though.

Great to do when doing nightclub shows, least until the bouncers start cursing your name because of the mess you make.
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
McGranahan looks pretty intense, but with a sense of humor. Have you seen his dvd material? Is it any good? I love the strong man acts. Anyone here read the Mighty Atom's biography? If you can find it, it's worth the read.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I bought his first dvd. It was shot with a camcorder and distributed on a home copied dvd, but I love that and his informal style. He is hilarious. He stares into space for a minute when he's trying to remember something. It's great. I asked him for some specifics on a few things and he answered almost immediately. Great guy. Even though we differ in our theologies.

He gives a very thorough lesson in cards, starting with basics and working up to some really advanced stuff. He demos one that he is famous for, but doesn't teach it, which is good because it is really advanced. It is where he wraps a deck, in the box, with duct tape and tears it with his teeth.

He then teaches some bending and supplemental exercises for grip.
I can't say enough good things about him or his dvd.

I heard of that biography. I think they had it on Ironmind.com a little while ago.
Check out this site:
http://www.sandowplus.co.uk
I think that's right.
It has free online copies of old time strongman books.
It's one of my favorite sites.
Check out the Louis Cyr bio, that guy was amazing.
~Will Rogers
Michael K
View Profile
Loyal user
Hazleton, PA
249 Posts

Profile of Michael K
Quote:
On 2008-09-03 21:31, Addy wrote:
Anyone here read the Mighty Atom's biography? If you can find it, it's worth the read.

I can second Adam's recommendation of "The Mighty Atom." Truly inspiring.

And I have to tip my hat to Harley for recommending it first. Now on to more in my pile...Trickster, Amateur Magicians Handbook, 13 Steps to Mentalism, Visual guide to lock picking, Mr. Wilson's Cabinet Of Wonder: Pronged Ants, Horned Humans, Mice on Toast, and Other Marvels of Jurassic Technology...

Michael
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
While we're on the topic of books, Hubert's Freaks is a good read. It's about the lost Diane Arbus photos that went to auction earlier in the year.

Sandowplus was a fun website. I have the 'how to perform strongman acts' booklet. I love how they totally simplify the acts. "Oh, just wrap the spike in a towel and bend it" Yeah, right.
Jon Royer
View Profile
New user
Warminster, PA
70 Posts

Profile of Jon Royer
Thanks for all the help so far.

Steve McGranahan's DVD looks good. I want to get Dennis Roger's stuff. I would also like to get Slim "The Hammer Man"'s DVD.

I read the card tearing section of the Amateur Magician's Handbook. I have also read the whole How to Perform Strongman Acts booklet as well. Those were my original references.

I tried the cheaper souvenir type cards. They had a smooth finish and were two ply. I probably have well over a hundred decks of cards and I could only find one I was willing to rip. It was much easier to rip as compared to the three ply bicycle cards.

Reggie: I'm still not playing with a full deck though Smile

I have trouble keeping the outside cards on. It seems the outer most card will sometimes rip in half completely first before the deck really starts to rip. The best starts I get is when I am able to put a ripple/wave in the cards after I gripped them which makes them stiff and I able to give it a good amount of pressure then. I was able to quarter half a deck (26 cards) fairly easily doing this.

Speaking of ironmind. Great products. That is what I am using to try to do these crazy things. Right now I am using a bunch of the ironmind grippers and extensors bands. I also am trying kettle balls as well.

I am still waiting to try to buy my copy of the Mighty Atom's biography.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yes, the least expensive copy of the Atom book is around $60. It's a great book, and certainly gives you an idea of this eccentric guy, who entertained a lot of people. I often run into folks who recall seeing him at work.

If you can't buy it, get it on inter-library loan.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I agree. I got a Weider strongman book from the 70's that was like that. It was about 4 pages with 20 stunts. Really?
I always try to break them down and figure out a progression to work up to it.

Quote:
On 2008-09-04 08:18, Addy wrote:
While we're on the topic of books, Hubert's Freaks is a good read. It's about the lost Diane Arbus photos that went to auction earlier in the year.

Sandowplus was a fun website. I have the 'how to perform strongman acts' booklet. I love how they totally simplify the acts. "Oh, just wrap the spike in a towel and bend it" Yeah, right.
~Will Rogers
Jon Royer
View Profile
New user
Warminster, PA
70 Posts

Profile of Jon Royer
Critter:

I think this was geared towards me.
"Really? I always try to break them down and figure out a progression to work up to it."

So, if you were referring to my using the grippers and such I can answer. If I am wrong in my interpretation then I apologize and ignore this.

I am very interested in hand strength and the things you can do with it. So making the cards easier to rip among other things are a bonus to the strength gained. I also do work outs if you will with the cards or whatever I am working with to gradually get better which is what I think you were referring to. So in once sentence I do both.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Oh, I didn't realize there were so many of us who posted at the same time that day Smile
I was pretty much referring to the specific stunts in the book.
As opposed to just grabbing a wrench and twisting, what could I start with to build up to a wrench?
What could I bend as a beginner?
It was mostly my interpretation of how the book should have been written and not geared towards anyone specifically.
I like it when those types of lessons give me a starting point I can do instead of just an impossible task to sprain my wrist on (which happened a couple times.)

It was a reply to this:
"I have the 'how to perform strongman acts' booklet. I love how they totally simplify the acts. "Oh, just wrap the spike in a towel and bend it" Yeah, right."

Sorry about any contusion.
~Will Rogers
Jon Royer
View Profile
New user
Warminster, PA
70 Posts

Profile of Jon Royer
No problem. I agree with the building up to a wrench theory. I luckily only hurt my wrist once so far. Strongman acts are new to me. Sadly it didn't take very much to have my wrist sore for a week or so.

Most of the stunts really make you aware of your own body. You all of a sudden are aware of the muscles you are using, your movements, your posture, your breathing...

It is a surreal experience. The biggest eye opener to date was the sword staircase at Harley's sideshow class.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
It sounds like you are smart for seeking as much information as possible.
If you haven't invested in Ironmind's "Healthy hands booklet" then I recommend it. Preventative maintenance is so important. Using a non-gripping muscle as an example, It is much healthier to exercise the rotator cuff than to recover from the surgery to repair it.
Your wrists are delicate. Please be careful with them.
Strongman is a very psychologically fulfilling thing to do, but there are risks as well. Having worked in nursing homes, I never want to end up with joints I can't use.
~Will Rogers
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Pulling weeds is good exercise for hands and wrists.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I used to do this stunt before I broke my thumb in the dark on the chest of Russian acrobat backstage at the Big Apple Circus (that is a story for another time.)

I found that cheaper cards were harder to do than the US Playing Card Co. decks. The cheaper cards had a heavier coat of plastic and the US cards more brittle.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2008-09-05 12:08, Todd Robbins wrote:
I used to do this stunt before I broke my thumb in the dark on the chest of Russian acrobat backstage at the Big Apple Circus (that is a story for another time.)

I hope she was worth it?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Thanks a lot, I was trying to keep that secret for myself Smile

Quote:
On 2008-09-05 12:08, Todd Robbins wrote:

I found that cheaper cards were harder to do than the US Playing Card Co. decks. The cheaper cards had a heavier coat of plastic and the US cards more brittle.
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Tearing a deck of cards in half (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL