The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Who called from Key West? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
543 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings:
Today I had a call on my answering machine that says:

"Hey Marty, give me a shout when you get into Key West and we can grab a few beers and talk magic, I catch your posts often on the Café"

Here is the problem:

1. I do not have caller I.D.
2. Whoever it was, did not leave a name or number
3. We leave like 2 AM saturday morning to fly down to Florida

So, if you are reading this and you were the one who called, let me know by PM or an e-mail to: martinismagic@hotmail.com before 10 PM Friday night. After that, we will be out of touch until the 14th.

All the Best
Marty
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1832 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2008-09-05 00:18, martini wrote:

3. We leave like 2 AM saturday morning to fly down to Florida

If you mean you're leaving THIS Saturday (Sept. 6) you might want to reconsider visiting Key West at this time. Have you been following the progress of Hurricane Ike ?

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics......contents

The current track shows that it won't be over Key West/South FL until Tuesday/Wednesday next week (Sept. 9th or 10th) so I guess if you're only going to be there Saturday, Sunday, Monday, you'd be ok (?) , but there will probably be evacuation of tourists and the local businesses boarding-up .
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
543 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Todd;
We are leaving this saturday morning for a full week. I have been in touch with the resort about Ike, and they said that it is very rare for the keys to evacuate and that these surges can change almost hourly.

I do appreciate your concern, but resort has already been paid for as well as rental car and plane tickets. This was all booked back in November last year and the airlines, resort and auto rental all said the same thing, that we will not know until it is closer. The only refund that is available due to a hurricane is the car rental for days not used when it is turned in. Airlines and Resort neither offer any refunds due to weather, unless it is a flight that is cancelled by the airline itself, and all they offer is a travel voucher for a later time.

Friends down on the keys have called and told us not to worry that they have had far worse hit them in the past, so we are going on that at this time.

Would still like to know, before we go, who it was that called without leaving a return number or name. Oh well, still time to catch an e-mail or message before we leave.

All the Best
Marty
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1832 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2008-09-05 14:11, martini wrote:

Friends down on the keys have called and told us not to worry that they have had far worse hit them in the past, so we are going on that at this time.

Ok, Stay safe and I hope you have a great time. (and hope you can get together with whoever your mysterious caller was ) .
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
FYI They have issued a mandatory evacuation for the Florida Keys. I believe the evac starts officially at 1pm for visitors tommorrow and the rest will go in phases.

The statement you made about they have had worse hit them is irrelevant. There are tornadoes associated with these things as well as floods. Please do not put yourself in danger of dying for a vacation.

A category 1 hurricane is dangerous...hell even tropical storm Fay was responsible for one death.
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
543 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Guys;
We are safe and back home. The resort kept saying not to worry, friends down there kept saying not to worry, so I was not worried (much).

A call came in as we were arriving at the airport 4 Am this morning. The resort is evacuating. 20 minutes later, we were trying to cancel everything else, the flight, the car rental, the side trips, and trying to figure out what to do now.

If everything was cancelled yesterday that would have been fine, we could have made other arrangements then, but everyone kept saying no problem, come on down.

We have just booked a hotel in Niagra Falls and are leaving early in the morning to drive up there for 8th thru 12th. (after all the wife does not get much time off, so it's use it or lose it time) At least the vacation is salvaged.

So at this point it looks like the Resort is lost, and the airlines is offerring us vouchers for $75 each. Very generous of them.

I have learned a valuable lesson here, Don't listen to friends who live on the keys, and don't book an expensive resort in Key West, but more importantly which airline does not care about its customers.

By the way, finally found out who it was that called, he is flying up to Maryland for a week to ride out the storm.lol So while he is going to be in Maryland, we'll be in Niagra Falls.lol

Thank You David and JTW for the concern, it is nice to know that friends care.

All the Best
Marty
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1832 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2008-09-06 18:44, martini wrote:

I have learned a valuable lesson here, Don't listen to friends who live on the Keys

Well, they're good people , but confidentially, a lot of them are just a little bit crazy Smile

We see these news reports all the time down here in Florida of some grizzled ol' timer who says "Hell , no I ain't gonna evacuate , dadgummit ! I been through worse storms than this one . I'll ride it out like all the times before "

Seriously, that stinks about the airline not refunding . It's not your fault that a major hurricane decided to blow through the area . (I guess the airline could say it's not their fault either, but it still stinks for you . )

Hope the remainder of your vacation in Niagra Falls is restful. (I love the Falls . Beautiful from both sides , U.S. and Canada , although the Canada side is better in some ways , so see if you can drive over there , too.)
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
543 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings David;
Sounds like you know our friends down there.lol That sounds just like Jim and Karen and what they would say. lol

Jim walked away from a big government job 11 years ago to go to Key West and sell bait to fishermen, unfortunately for Karen, she is stuck doing the selling, Jim is too busy sleeping all day and patrying every night.lol

I have American Express seeing what they can do to help out with the airlines situation. Someone also recently shot me an e-mail stating that it is illegal for them to charge me tax on a flight never taken, and that should have some pull when dealing with them later. Who knows? anyways, the Wife is now a happy camper, and that is all that matters. That is something that 34 years of marriage has taught me well....Keep the Wife happy & everyone is happy.lol

We booked into the Marriott Fallsway on the Canadian side with a falls view from our room so it should be nice.

The down side to getting old is thinking that I hope they have enough bathrooms if I'm going to be watching, and hearing those falls trickle all night. lol

Just got an e-mail from Karen, she just pulled into her sister's driveway outside Orlando to ride out the storm. She told me that Jim and one of his other whacked buddies have offered to stay and guard the rum. Now I know what he meant by having a hurricane party....glad now that I am driving to Niagra Falls.

All the Best
Marty
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Who called from Key West? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL