The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » New Card Force? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
Morning Ladies and Gentlemen,

--CARD PEEK--
Well it's 4.45am here in Sunny (if only) South Wales, UK and I've been playing about with a deck of cards and some ideas seeing as I can't sleep. I have used a peek as a substitute for a force. My aim (which began this evening - I'm a person who enjoys short goals =D) was to come up with some card selections which appear totally fair and above board, even to the magician. Now the peek may be a little obvious (especially now that I've just told you), but I love how you can perform a nice simple move and it blows the socks off people after you show people what you can do (for anyone interested, this has to do with a confirmation bias: Wason, 1960). No doubt thousands of people have come up with this application before, but there we go.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eJTVu3_1TM8

--CARD FORCE--
Enough of the peek. The force I believe is original. I've never seen it anywhere, but then its not the most revolutionary move in the world so again someone has probably thought of it out there. I can't see anywhere to turn HTML on, so I'll just post a link:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EQGcBaRGn7s

I'd appreciate any feedback you have to offer. Apologies for the sloppiness at the end of the video... hmm

Chris
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
As far as the peek goes, I've seen that before. I don't remember who showed it to me, but it was something he independently discovered. His hand positions were slightly different, but the idea was the same, he was calling it a "force that isn't a force."

As far as your card force is concerned, I'm a little confused. You show the top card, then you break the middle of the pack and slide a card out of the back? It looks too much like a move. Some patter might help smooth those things out.
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
Oddly enough, that's exactly what I called the peek too!

As for the card force. The top card was only being shown in this video as a demonstration that it's not one of the standard slip cuts etc. In performance I wouldn't bother showing the top card (maybe to a bunch of magicians - but then I'd ribbon spread the deck face up).

Yeah, a card coming out of the back doesn't look fantastic. But at the end of the day, there is a move involved. In fact, there are two. The lack of patter was because the mic is poor on this computer and that it was around 4am when I posted that and people were sleeping here. Cheers for the review - have you seen the force anywhere before is what I was mostly wondering about
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I can't say that I have seen the force before. For me, it doesn't look very convincing, it appears to be coming from a b**** rather than the point stop was called. Finesse and practice will probably help that though.
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
I understand you can't tell me what that is, but I have no idea what b*** is meant to be, heh. I've come up with another force today, but it's probably just a take on something someone has done before. The cards are spread in the hands and the spec touches one. You outjog that card and then turn the whole deck so that the face points to the specs. I guess you have to see it really, but it doesn't look too clever at this point
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
B****

You know what it is. A riffle force uses one, most controls use one, a classic force may use one...a lot of things are fundamental, but this one takes the cake Smile Smile
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
Oh I see! I have no idea why, but when I read "cake" it suddenly made sense. I guess I know why, heh. But yeah, I do. I know there are certain codes on here, but I didn't think that such a fundamental concept would be kept underwraps here. It's not as though it is intellectual theft (only on the basis that I have no idea who to attribute it to)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » New Card Force? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL