The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Can't remember where to find this effect... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bryanlonden
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
583 Posts

Profile of bryanlonden
Last year, I read about an effect here on the Café...it was possibly in a book or ebook if I remember. Well, here's the effect (or what I remember of it)...

A ring is placed onto a string, and two spectators hold the string on each side. A handkerchief is placed over the ring, and then lights are turned off. The ring is heard to fall off the string and land on the table beneath it. The lights are turned on, and it is now seen on the table, as it apparently penetrated through the string.

I think this was possibly in a mentalism book.

Thanks,
Bryan
NEW Conscious clothing to inspire yourself and others.

http://www.thisisdivisions.com
zifferinolpm
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of zifferinolpm
Sounds like a lot of work to me. Shutting off the lights and then turning them back on? I don't know why you would cover the ring with a handkerchief and then turn out the lights as well. Kind of redundant, don't you think?
bryanlonden
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
583 Posts

Profile of bryanlonden
Personally, I wouldn't turn off the lights. That was just part of the presentation listed where I saw it. I figured the more information I could remember from it, the more I should post about it. But if the method does need the lights to be turned off, then anyone else around can flick a light switch. I believe this has a seance type theme to it.
NEW Conscious clothing to inspire yourself and others.

http://www.thisisdivisions.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The only reason I can think of to turn out the lights is to cover the RING DROPPING OFF. If you just take it off under the handkerchief, no need, but to "drop" might need darkness to accomplish.

You could have the ring under the handkerchief held by a false knot, and you ASK THE SPEC'S to PULL on the ends, and it could release that way.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
It sounds to me like the trick that Derren Brown did on his special. It was the one where he held a spectator's hands or something, and he has a big ring on his neck. The lights went off and turned back on in a second, and then suddenly the ring is on her arm or something. I'm sure some of you have seen it.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Bryan, check out this thread-

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=4

The effect is called Demon Ring. It might not be the one you are looking for, but it is an excellent effect. The Book of Haunted Magick is one of my top 5 favorite books of all time. It has great material in it that can be adapted to any style of magic or mentalism.

I hope this helps,

Mike
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
This is a JOKE question - right?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm kinda busy right now...

DCB

for a fact
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Not a joke at all. Here is a description of the effect which is for use in a séance-

Guests enter a room and stand around a large séance table. A solid brass ring and a long, thick boot lace are passed around for them to examine. The ring is then threaded onto the lace, and the two ends are handed to two of the guests, on opposite sides of the table, so that the ring is suspended. Another guest is asked to turn off the lights so that the spirits can enter, and two more guests are asked to take hold of the medium's wrists and lock them behind his back. After a long pause in total darkness, a loud clang would be heard. Quickly the lights are turned on to reveal the mediums arms still held behind his back, the boot lace still wrapped around the hands of the volunteers, and the ring lying on the table.

Great effect; not suitable for table-hopping. Smile

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Can't remember where to find this effect... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL