The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine » » Genii Archive? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicianDM
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MagicianDM
Hi everyone,
Would it be ethical if you use stuff tricks/stuff from the Genii Archive? Because I would like to use some tricks from there, but I cannot spend $17 back ordering each magazine. (International shipping is $11..).
So, do you get the performance rights etc when you pay to access the Genii Archive?

Thanks.
The ultimate, most visual and practical ambitious card routine finisher - HERE!
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5373 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I don't see why not. You would have the same rights to the e-based material as you would if you had the hard copy magazine. You're still paying for it.
MagicianDM
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MagicianDM
Awesome, thanks Magiguy, I am going to buy it. (The access to the Archive).
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Where does one get access to the geni archive ? Can someone give me the url plz ?
MagicianDM
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MagicianDM
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2403 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
If someone lends you a magazine, and you read a trick in it, you are entitled to perform the trick. There is no "purchase of performance rights" implied when you buy a magazine or a book.
Stefan
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Stefan
Usually a published trick is of course allowed and expected to be performed if desired. Also usually, whether published or purchased if certain rights are being held back, such as televised rights - it will normally say so. Exceptions are when somebody is writing about an old trick or a "new" version of someone elses trick, plus getting into sticky areas like a trick being similar or not much different from someone elses - and that someone didn't give permission or feels ripped off. Blah blah blah. The creators of tricks are also not careful enough sometimes on making their desires clear. A few times I've heard tales of a magician about to go on, where someone else just did a trick they are famous for - so quickly they had to decide to do something else.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2403 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
You do not need anyone's permission to perform any trick that has been published (put in a book or DVD). The only possible exception is when there is a notice in the book that rights for the performance on TV are withheld. However I have yet to see a case in which those rights were successfully enforced.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine » » Genii Archive? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL