We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Robert-Houdin expressed... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Quote:
It is easy enough, no doubt, to play the conjurer without possessing either dexterity or mental ability. It is only necessary to lay in a stock of apparatus of that kind which of itself works the trick. This is what may be called the “false bottom” school of conjuring. Cleverness at this sort of work is of the same order as that of the musician who produces a tune by turning the handle of a barrel organ.
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I like his inclusion of "mental ability".
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
That's a really classy way of saying "don't just rely solely on a Gimmick"! Nice....

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Yes there's a frame shift in there - a false argument one hopes he put there deliberately. Whether you loved them or not - Milli Vanilli was a hit show.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2008-09-21 17:28, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Yes there's a frame shift in there - a false argument one hopes he put there deliberately. Whether you loved them or not - Milli Vanilli was a hit show.

... but he wasn't born when Jean Eugène Robert Houdin was alive!
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Milli Vanilli? ... not sure.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
A barrel organ guy can make a good living, and might be even a "success." It is true with many inartistic acts.

As Shakespeare said, one can please the crowd and still "grieve the judicious."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Whit: I'm not sure those kinds of quotes from other disciplines are very helpful.

:)
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Well the "grieve the judicious" line could be used in a magical patter when we need to discard something. It is actually funnier as Whit tosses it than it was originally written by Shakespeare.

Furthermore if you read Lateral Thinking by Edward de Bono, you'll find that the most sophisticated form of intelligence is to take something out of the line of thought and bring it harmoniously into the context in the proper direction. This is what is called lateral thinking: it is only met with creativity or humour. It seems to me that Whit did kill two birds with one stone.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I know you are kidding, Tommy, and quoting me from a previous post of my own.

In that post, I was referring to the way "magic" was being used by the writers. What is true of "magic" as it is employed in literature--the magic of love, the magic in a sunset, the magic in the eyes of a child--can not necessarily be applied to the study of magic in the way we use the term in our profession.

But Shakespeare was talking about acting and by a fairly logical extension, to our performance of magic. I think it applies to any sort of performing and even to art in general.

It is important to please the wider audience, but a real artist should seek to please those who have a greater understanding of art as well.

If one performs trite, overblown or unoriginal work, it may grab and hold the attention of the the crowd, but it will be offensive and unpleasing to those who are more astute in their judgment than the average person.

One can be a successful performer without showing great artistic merit, but one can't necessarily be considered a great artist without it.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5020 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Join - Robert-Houdin GROUP on Facebook, I did.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=16831854082
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Thank you Kjellstrom
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Robert-Houdin expressed... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL