The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » The Fource (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2821 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
The ad is up at Outlaw-effects.com in the ebook section. May The Fource be with you!
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2821 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I just noticed the PayPal button isn't up yet. My PayPal address and the pre-sale price are there however!
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2821 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I'm pleased to announce that the PayPal button is now up and fully operational at outlaweffects.com
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1917 Posts

Profile of DT3
Everybody knows Cushman's stuff sux and you shouldn't buy it.

Just kidding. This one rox hardcore.

Incredibly inspirational.

But beware. Sleepless night await you.

D
Royce K.
View Profile
New user
London
89 Posts

Profile of Royce K.
Hi Bill,

When is this ebook due to be released?

Many thanks,

Royce K.
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
918 Posts

Profile of jbadman
I just visited the site and read the appropriate webpage but I'm still none the wiser about what this actually is, what it does, what it's used for... any clues?!

Cheers,

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2821 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Royce, The Fource is due to be released this weekend.

Jamie, this is a real struggle. I'm usually the guy that convinces folks to be more open about their products. For example encouraging Rick to describe the workings of his effects at Outlaw, especially since they can't be easily duplicated.

As I've said elsewhere, Alain Nu encouraged me not to release the simple 2-page version I sent him. One of his reasons is that the basic premise can be described and understood so easily I'd be risking a very quick exposure. Not even necessarily by bootlegging the mss., just from people describing it to others. So by delving deeper into how to get the most out of The Fource and getting incredible contributions (they really are outrageously good), people would have to buy the ebook to really get the full value.

Also, Alain encouraged me to include routines that do not use The Fource but involve the whole audience in the same way the Fource can be used to full advantage (though as I've mentioned, people are having great results one on one which I wasn't expecting). See Lior's quote for more on this. It is an important area and I’m glad to have the opportunity to share several effects of my own and others in this genre.

I'm going to get some advice from my friends with more experience in this area and try and come up with a way to share more about The Fource without harming my sales. I'm walking a real tightrope because not saying enough can also negatively affect sales.

Fortunately this hasn't been the case so far. I think this is because people trust those who have reviewed The Fource and have been more than happy with my other releases.

I am giving this my full attention and will have more to say later. Thank you for expressing your understandable concerns.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6165 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2008-09-10 12:29, jbadman wrote:
I just visited the site and read the appropriate webpage but I'm still none the wiser about what this actually is, what it does, what it's used for... any clues?!

Cheers,

Jamie.

The reason we can't describe it is that most people would be able to backtrack and come up with the effect that Bill came up on his own.

It's an incredible idea that is one that you will think to yourself, "How did I not think of this!", but you didn't... none of us did. It took Bill's brain, and some possible blows to the head, to create this thing.

It's a beautiful idea that unfortunately will soon be ripped off by those that hear it. I think Bill should make as much money as he can before this travels through the mentalism and magic community. I'm sure this will be finding its way into many shows... and many of them will not have even paid for it.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2821 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Thanks Greg! You made me happy and bummed me out at the same time!

Seriously, you captured the dilemna that remains unsolved. Anyone feel free to PM me with specific questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Seriously, you captured the dilemna that remains unsolved. Anyone feel free to PM me with specific questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Seriously, you....Hey, where did that come from? Funny, I have this odd headache.....
Xtasy0
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of Xtasy0
Greg, does that mean that if an audience sees or hears the effect they will understand the workings and backtrack it? or is it at least deceptive enough to fly by an audience?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6165 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2008-09-11 01:29, Xtasy0 wrote:
Greg, does that mean that if an audience sees or hears the effect they will understand the workings and backtrack it? or is it at least deceptive enough to fly by an audience?

No, what it means that any person that has performed mentalism or knows some of the workings will be able to figure it out on their own.
I can see large numbers of guys in the audiences of someone that uses it saying to themselves, "Cool. I'm going to do that next time."

It's not the same thing, but it would be like someone never doing the NO gag before and then someone creates it. Well, the first time another performer hears that they can certainly work out for themselves what is happening without buying the idea. Of course, The Fource is a much stronger effect on the audience and really will play like a strong mental effect, but unfortunately the moment someone who already does mentalism hears it they will be able to reconstruct it and Bill will not get a dime for that.

This is something that we all know basically yet in the decades and decades that it has been used no one has put the idea into this new structure. And because of that I think Bill needs to be compensated for doing something that no one else did before. As I said, the unfortunate thing is I know once this is out there the thieves will rally around and take an idea that they never had before.

Greg
Xtasy0
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of Xtasy0
Thanks for the reply greg, I understand, and I certainly can understand why bill doesn't want to explain too much about the effect.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2821 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Thanks again Greg for putting into words what I am struggling to find a balance with saying. XtasyO, one thing that might help is for me to again clarify that The Fource is an effect in itself but more than that it is a tool that has inspired some amazingly creative thinking.

Like Greg said, an audience not composed of magicians or mentalists is in no way going to backtrack and figure out how the effect worked. Adding the presenations that have been contributed, many of the effects can be performed for mentalists and magicians and they will, at the very least, have a difficult if not impossible time reverse engineering what just happened. "Meaning is the best misdirection," Kenton likes to say and the A list of contributers have "cloaked the hoax," in layers of meaning.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3048 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I have spent a lot on e-books in the last several months and generally have been let down. Seems everybody is constantly raving about how great some of these are. So far I have come across a lot that did not live up to all the hype.

I have not purchased this one yet, just hoping that this wont be one of those "times"!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6165 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2008-09-11 04:42, rowdymagi5 wrote:
I have spent a lot on e-books in the last several months and generally have been let down. Seems everybody is constantly raving about how great some of these are. So far I have come across a lot that did not live up to all the hype.

I have not purchased this one yet, just hoping that this wont be one of those "times"!

The easy answer to this is: Stop buying stuff. I'm sure you already have enough in your library to last a lifetime. If you own 13 Steps and PME then you're pretty much done. You can continue to perform until you take your last breath and won't need much else.

We really don't need anything else. What Bill is offering is a wonderful take on a premise that's been around and he has made it into a stronger effect. But do you need it? No. You could skip this and never look back and it won't hurt your performing skills one bit.

Greg
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3048 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Greg,

Good point. Im always looking to add or improve my performance options, so I do purchase when I read good reviews on here.

Thanks for the honest evaluation.
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
918 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Surely some very vague indication of what this is could do no harm... for example:

'Fource is a linguistic principle/effect which can be used in your mentalism act to great effect.'

I have no idea if the above is or is not true - however, if it is true, it certainly gives nothing away but at least gives the buyer a little more indication as to what he or she is buying because in the very least, it gives more expectation as to the area of mentalism that it enriches.

I can see exactly what Greg means by the 'No' gag example - this is clearly something that is, once seen, completely understood and therefore even a review of the product might easily tip the entire thing. However, it's not priced cheaply and therefore takes a great leap of faith to purchase when, really, the only description of what it is so far is that it's related to mentalism. If I tried to sell a one-trick ebook and the only description I could write about it was "It's a card trick" and I priced it at $35, I don't think I'd sell any at all.

I do see Bill's dilemma but I'm sure he can likewise, see the buyer's dilemma also.

The solution - I'm not sure. Possibly there are two routes:

(1) Have a large number of established, respected people back the product and stake their reputation on its worth.
(2) Make the price cheap enough for it to be worth taking a punt on.

The problem with (1) is that the buyer still has no idea what it is they're buying but at least they have a great deal of reassurance. The problem with (2) is that you need to sell more to make the money - but at least you're selling to people who might otherwise have walked on by because of the lack of information about what it was they were buying.

I guess a third option is to offer a 'money back guarantee' - if you're not really impressed by this idea then you can request a refund - or perhaps a half-refund. This route is quite interesting because you could argue that people will just get the secret and then regardless of if they like it or not, they'll ask for the refund. You're taking a massive leap of faith with your buyers - in much the same way as you're asking them to take with you. I quite like the 50% refund approach rather than the full refund.

Just some ideas!

Cheers,

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Mystification
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of Mystification
You will NEVER see a money back guarantee. That just wont happen.

I have noticed that if certain people on here produce an e-book, the SAME people start endorsing it and giving it super reviews. The first time someone disagrees, they all get nasty and argue with him. Very uncomforatable situation. They even attack the negative reviewer. It makes everyone shy away from saying anything negative, so all you read are positive reviews.

Im not referring to this e-book at all, so please, I hope no one is offended. I recently purchased an effect that got 4 pages of positive reviews. After I bought it, it now has 6 pages of negative reviews! Go figure, just my luck! This may be a great effect, or it may be rubbish. We all choose to take our chances.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
...you play the GAME you take your CHANCES... yuk yuk yuk
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
pduffie
View Profile
Veteran user
Scotland
340 Posts

Profile of pduffie
Hi Bill,

I have a question that neither touches on effect or method (otherwise I would have pm'd you as you requested). You said earlier that: "..people are having great results one on one which I wasn't expecting)."

My question: What is the miminum size of audience that you are comfortable working the Fource with?

Peter
Alternative Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » The Fource (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL