The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » The Fource (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2821 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Thanks guys! I really like hearing when ideas of mine make people think. And I love hearing about people putting them into use.

Jack, you picked a couple of winners with Roth and Badman's routines. As far as Dom's Fourcefield, I think it is a great twist on the remote viewing theme and the prop that is used made my day when he sent it to me to include.
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
The Fource joins PS2, Flytrap and Dr. Bill's own Mira as stellar collaborative innovatations for techloperfs. We are in awe of this multi-contributered and Dr. Bill- generated 60 page ebook that Enrique Enriquez aptly describes as alchemical in his spectromantic fourward replete with positive prototype identification theory. We suspect his suspician is true--the Self could be a trance-like state new mary culled through the joys philter.

--Isso Liwok
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2819 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Yeah, what he said...

Nathan
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2821 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Isso, that's exact;y what I've been saying! No problems there, we are on the same wave form. Prototype ID theory is cutting edge.
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
I Just got this Fource Thingy.....look at this Thread, it's already 5 page long....I'll bet it will keep Growing

so to Doc Bill Cushy......I think everyone who buy this Fource Thing will generate more idea....

SO wouldn't be GREAT if they all send their ideas and Application from using The Fource to you.....then you distribute this Suplement solely to the owner of the Fource....or something similiar along this line

I know this Fource will improve my already Existing Act....Both of my Act that I curentli Revamped & Re-Visited......and Yes I do too have lots of Applications for this Fource......love to Share it, but not in an Open Forum

NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2218 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I second Mesmer's idea. I too have some ideas but again not something for an open forum.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2821 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Hmm... how about calling it "Fourced Submissions?"

No there isn't a way to put ideas for The Fource on an open forum and I appreciate your recognizing this. It was hard enough to come up with a fair way to advertise the thing!

I do have a few ideas collected from people already. Also, for those who haven't followed the thread on Richard Osterlind's new book "Mystique," or don't own it, Richard recommends The Fource as an alternative to use with an effect he performs with his Two Faced prop. That was very flattering!

And I'm also very flattered by the interest expressed in some sort of follow-up to The Fource. It really stimulated a lot of great thinking and I appreciate the brainstorming that followed its release.

Feel free to email me your ideas at wcushman@bellsouth.net and I'll mull it over after I see what and how much more comes in. Is that fair?
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1637 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
You may have thought of it before but you haven't thought of all the variations and other ideas you'll find inside the book.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6165 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Well, Frank, once again it's a very simple solution: don't buy it! It won't change your life any if you never get this.
Or write to Bill directly and give him some hints as to what you think you've already invented and see if they are on the same track.
But the real simple solution is just to walk away and not get it. You probably already have a lifetime of effects at your disposal if you own any of the mentalism classics so adding one more thing will not change your performances.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2821 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I like the part of Greg's solution that has you writing directly to me Frank Smile. Always a good idea.

Greg, feel free to jump over to Penny and help me with RTS! Or The Fource thread that suddenly sprung up there too. When it rains it cliches.

Here is what I just posted over at Pennys, avoiding less pleasant matters, with a bit of adaptation to try and incoporate questions that will next likely arise on this thread:

Last time this happened, people ended up thinking The Fource had something to do with divining one of the planets of our solar system! Now it is a serial number divination. When will it end?

Vlad, Frank, anyone who is still reading my blathering, The Fource is more than a subtlety but it is subtle. It can be used on its own or as part of larger routines. People can use pen and paper but certainly don't have to. Everything can be done impromptu, in the guest's mind and naked but some of the more interesting routines do incorporate props for revelations.

Given you could whittle this much info out of a combing old threads: The Fource is a "new" way to force a 1 to 4 digit number. Richard Osterlind recommends it as an option to use with an effect in Mystique which was very flattering.

Seriously, to this day I am probably the most amazed of anyone that all the feedback about the matter of originalty (save one and I'm glad to let that gentleman speak for himself since even he acknowledges that he neared the idea and then forgot about it. It is actually a funny tale) maintains that The Fource itself hadn't existed prior to my having a weird brain blip one day. And I keep waiting...

I am proud of The Fource force. I am more proud of what it inspired and how a less than 2 page idea turned into a 65 page tour de force (I really didn't type that) of ideas from many of the best out there.

It started out as just what I described until Alain Nu brought me to a screeching halt. I felt I had more than adequately vetted it for originality (with the above caveat) and, as per his suggestion, I contacted several more friends in "the community" for specific routines they were using it for or could adapt.

The response was overwhelming. Even the foreword by Enrique Enriquez could stand alone as the latest addition to his invisible series; "The Invisible Prism."

Some ideas with photos were suggested. A folder of jpgs ended up being created along with links to make personalized ones to fit your own routines or variations of the ones contributed.

Of course, Mr. Arce also cut loose but you'll have to read about that in the mss.

One of the strengths of the Fource is that all routines can be played to the entire audience AT ONCE. Think Cassidy's concept of "major effect." Alain encouraged me to inlcude a section of such effects NOT using The Fource force and proceeded to kick start it with two of his own. So back again to good friends.

This led to my including Sublime Subliminal Square (I can't even believe I'm using the word sublime right now. I am just asking for it ), the latest mutation of Subliminal Square from Banachek's PS 2. The more I use this, the happier I am that I didn't hard sell it originally though I probably just cheezed that pooch. SS for the whole audience; no props, no moves. No compromise.

I don't know what more to say, Vlad. Life will go on just fine for you without The Fource. But I am exceptionally pleased with it in itself and flattered by all it inspired and continues to inspire.

For those who like Greg, BD and Nathan try and help me through this morass of info, thanks!
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2025 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Quote:
On 2009-01-29 20:10, Bill Cushman wrote:
Seriously, to this day I am probably the most amazed of anyone that all the feedback about the matter of originalty (save one and I'm glad to let that gentleman speak for himself since even he acknowledges that he neared the idea and then forgot about it. It is actually a funny tale)

I believe Bill is referring to me here. I'll attempt to relay the tale in a way that will convey the humor without giving anything away...

When I read the manuscript, I was sure I had heard of someone using the idea before, but for the life of me I couldn't remember who or where I'd heard about it... if it was from a book, a video, something from a forum or an email, a personal conversation, or what. So I told this to Bill, with my apologies for not being able to remember more specifically. Thankfully, it didn't prevent him from publishing his work.

Some weeks later, I was looking through some old files, and I finally remembered who it was that had come up with the idea: it was me. It was a small, subtle, inside joke I included (for my own amusement) as an utterly trivial detail in an illustration for something completely unrelated. At the time I thought, "Hmm, I wonder if that could be turned into a real effect? I'll have to give it some thought later." I then proceeded to forget about it completely.

The fact that I have looked right at the illustration literally thousands of times only deepened my embarrassment at not being able to remember who the "creator" was.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
joe161205
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of joe161205
I have this but I think this is not 100%. Bill could you recommend me how to do the outs if the effect is not works?
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2821 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Of course The Fource force isn't 100%. And note that I walk into any conversation where this is even a subtext with great trepidation. Many of you will understand where I'm coming from in saying that.

And that is a shame since there are so many more important things to talk about. But I will overcome such concerns and will state here that to my knowledge no psychological force can be 100%. Perhaps more importantly, rarely - if ever - do performers want outs to achieve that level of accuracy when working the psychological side of the street. The potential to destroy the illusion of mentalism is too great.

But let's take a moment or two to look at some of the work inspired by my idea, "The Fource." And also the material contributed that exists even in a world where the words "The Fource" were never spoken.

Enrique's Foreword describes a routine in detail that could easily be developed with very little work into the next addition to his invisible series and called "The Invisible Prism." Within the goals he sets, you can achieve 100% success connecting with each audience member if you desire. By its very nature his words, the metaphors evoked, the words evoked by the metaphors, THEY increase your success while removing any pressure to get everything 100% right. If there is anything “supernatural” going on in EE's work it is this latter factor.

Not too long ago I participated in Stuart Cumberland's project, UPR - Ultimate Psychic Readings. Along with Stuart's in depth description of his basic method for readings, he interviewed several readers and myself. A theme that came up in almost, if not every, interview was the need to abandon the focus on the number of hits gained in this reading vs. that reading.

INSTEAD, there was a consensus to shift the focus to the quality of the connection achieved between sitter and reader and/or performer and audience. For Stuart's techniques taught in this 9 CD series were not only devoted to readers. He wanted to help the casual, corporate and stage mentalist become more successful in achieving the level of rapport needed to leave an audience and specific audience members with the experience that they had been touched in a way that transcended our typical definitions of communication.

And of course all of the incredible contributions from some of the best thinkers in mentalism give you so much to work with. I like to quote Kenton Knepper's words, "Meaning is the best misdirection." I believe we can take it even further than that. Meaning is the best way to engage any audience.

So, you know what? You go ahead and jump in with both feet into the deep end of the pool and perform Alexandre’s Cash Fource. Add in Greg Arce’s mind numbing twist (again, I’m back to meaningful to the nth degree), get spooky with Roth’s FourceClosure. Or, in the right time and place, break their hearts with the positively eerie “Fources From Beyond” by Jamie Badman. These guys know deep in their marrow that the play is the thing.

Joe, read through “The Fource” again, seriously, keeping my rants in mind. You don’t want an out for every one of these effects when they don’t reach 100%. Embedded in the meanings inherent in each effect, a perfectly fair 50%, let alone a 75%, without any chicanery to clean things up, is going to do more for you than the dozens of effects where 100% is virtually guaranteed but with compromise.

And I know there are effects that are incredible and allow for 100% in meaningful performance. They have their place, as do the effects in “The Fource.” One is not necessarily better than another, simply different.

You will also experience the wonder of finding that the more you perform these effects, you may and likely will increase your hits but even when you don’t, the stronger your impact will be. I say this with confidence from my own experiences and those shared with me.

I’ve been in situations where circumstances prevented the revelation. But the presentation was so engaging the audience didn’t even know! They were consumed by a sense of ritual they had just taken part in and that had lifted them above the mundane. They didn’t need anything else, let alone an outcome that scored what had preceded.

I know, I know, I’m ranting. But this subject is dear to my heart and learning it deeply and fully was a long time coming. The joyful experience of bringing together the creators who contributed to The Fource, to see, for example, how Millard Longman worked with the unknown, how Jerome Finley worked with the unknowable, taught me more than learning dozens of new surefire methods.

Please don’t think I for a moment eschew the surefire,100% predictable outcome. We may need that too as mentalists

Don't forget that the 2nd section does have effects that are 100% as defined by getting 100% of the audience involved with 100% success barring their own self-sabotage. This part was the brainchild of Alain Nu who convinced me the world of mentalism needed more whole audience effects and that something was needed in The Fource for those times a 100% outcome was vital.

Compare and contrast Lior Manor’s “On Your Feet” with Tony Razzano’s “Pendulum Party” for ways to make sure such needs are met but from totally different perspectives. Each in their own way, grabbing the room and not letting ago until it is time.

I could go on and on Joe. There is so much in The Fource to meet anyone’s needs. I think you will find it useful to step back and read The Fource again. Perhaps it isn’t your answers that will change but, rather, your questions. Should any questions remain, do not hesitate, go send me a message and I will gladly help you achieve the results you seek.
daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
Are there any problems with adapting this into a foreign language? I know that some psychological forces and mentalism effects can only be done in english,if that's the case for this force too,i will be sad :/
p_n_g
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of p_n_g
Quote:
On 2009-02-20 03:49, daghank wrote:
Are there any problems with adapting this into a foreign language? I know that some psychological forces and mentalism effects can only be done in english,if that's the case for this force too,i will be sad :/

It works in any language.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2821 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Norbert, I know you mean well, but are you absolutely sure? This question came up in response to RhymeTime Sublime, and the original RhymeTime, and the consesus there was it can be done in any language.

I've since been alerted to the distinct possibility RhymeTime or RhymeTime Sublime may not be performable in Japanese! I didn't discover this from a mentalist but rather from delicately asking certain questions of an intern from Japan where I work.

So while I'm not 100% certain (:)), and would love to hear from a mentalist who owns RhymeTime and/or RhymeTime Sublime and speaks Japanese, I would also like to have someone with those same qualifications answer the poster's question about The Fource.

It may be that there are a couple of rare exceptions for both. Or that Japanese is the one and only exception. I don't know and I hope someone on this board speaks Japanese fluently and can clear things up.
Paul Carnazzo
View Profile
Inner circle
1101 Posts

Profile of Paul Carnazzo
I just checked out The Fource, and I am very impressed!

As stated many times in this thread, the individual ideas aren't new, but the way they are used is.

The real gems in this manuscript are the different presentational ideas that Bill and the stellar cast of contributors gives.

Properly presented, this can be a true impromptu miracle!

Excellent job Bill (and all of the contributors)!

I can't wait to check out more of your work.

Paul
remember....always use your powers for good!

http://www.mentalvoyage.com
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2821 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Thanks Paul, I almost missed this!

You touch on two points that mean a great deal to me. First, the high quality of the contributions. The play is the thing, someone once said, and the "plays" inherent in the themes are awesome.

Your other comment was on the impromptu nature of The Fource. While of course many of the "plays" require a prop there are a great many things you can do when "your luggage is lost."

I like that premise, like Maven's "Nothing," and one day would like to do a riff on when your luggage and wallet are lost and you don't know what state you woke up in. Now there's a poser for putting togethter a show. But you can bet I'll be performing a version of The Foruce as will many others!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » The Fource (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.54 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL