The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Battery pack for wireless headset receiver? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
847 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I notice I've just posted this in the wrong category - (Lights, Camera, Action..)oh well. Serves me right for thinking I could get up early and work... So..

I've just taken delivery of a Samson Airline QV headset and receiver, which works just great. Only tried it at home so far, with an old guitar amp, but the quality seems to be more than good enough. My question is, the receiver requires 12 volts, which is supplied via a little power supply plugged into the wall. I'll perhaps be using this with say, a Fender Amp Can for my pitching work (next year) and rather than feed the receiver from the amp can battery, I'd like to have a separate, rechargeable battery pack. Something I could take home after the gig and plug in, to be ready for the next day. I could, of course, tap into the Amp Can battery (very likely) but I'd rather not, purely for the preference of extending the performance time.

Is there such a thing available, or will I have to make one up myself? If so, which batteries would be best/most convenient?

For bigger shows, I run an Anchor Explorer pro.. but this is for the "Quick in and Quick out" situations..

Thanks!

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
DCB,

I made a simple AA battery pack for my wireless receivers. I haven't tried it with rechargeable batteries because of the lower voltage in NiMH batteries. Alkaline "AA" batteries are 1.5 volts, while rechargeable "AA" batteries are 1.2 volts. Since my receiver requires 12 volts, also, 8 alkaline "AA" batteries work. Eight rechargeables would only amount to 9.6 volts and I'm not technically knowledgeable enough to know if that would work.

If you want to see the battery pack I made, just send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll forward you the basic instructions I made of my battery pack (including a photo of the completed unit). The file is a PDF.

The battery pack is very small and I estimate that the batteries will work 8 - 10 hours although I've never used it consistently enough to know how much time I would get out of them.

Michael
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Michael, your post confirms what I've been told about rechargeables -- that they do not have the same capacity as a standard alkaline battery -- and explains why.

But you raise an interesting question -- would a battery pack of TEN rechargeables be the equivalent of EIGHT alkaline batteries? From your math, it sounds like this would be the case. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
847 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Seth,
10 rechargeables would do the same job as 8 x 1.5' volts.

I checked out the Samson headset with a rechargeable, and it lasted 8 hours continuous. Now before the experts jump in and say.. "Oh.. but you wouldn't have been actually USING IT (ie, talking into it, therefore using more current) ..." I had the mic part up against the external speaker of my Imac while it was playing music constantly..
So, that's a pretty good test for the QV headset.

Michael.. I'll pass on the DIY pack with the AA's for the time being. I'm pretty certain there must be something out there I can buy off the shelf. I could knock one up myself, but I'm pretty busy. If I don't get a solution, I'd be delighted to take you up on your offer.

Cheers!

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

DCB,

The AA battery pack is really simple. It took me about 15 minutes to make. I did have to make a trip to Radio Shack for parts and I did happen to have a AC adapter that no longer worked so I was able to use its connector.

Michael
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-09-11 08:50, sethb wrote:
But you raise an interesting question -- would a battery pack of TEN rechargeables be the equivalent of EIGHT alkaline batteries? From your math, it sounds like this would be the case. SETH

I thought about this when I made my adapter but the problem is I couldn't find a 10 AA battery holder! I suspect that the rechargeable batteries would work with only 8 of them but I don't know if they would last long.

Since I now have a bunch of NiMH batteries for my photo flash, I'll probably try it out.

Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Battery pack for wireless headset receiver? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL