The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Doves to bunny (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Edsel Chiu
View Profile
Veteran user
Hong Kong / Los Angeles
326 Posts

Profile of Edsel Chiu
In the demo video regarding the doves to bunny, I notice there is a lag time between the "change" and when he opens the lid of the cage. But from what I have seen of other magicians performing this effect, they lift and it changes, it is all one movement. I wonder if that is possible for this.

Here is the demo video of doves to bunny,
http://www.magicsax.com/store/page11/page11.html

and here is what I mean by one movement (It is a different product, but I am referring to the "change"),
http://www.magicsax.com/store/page24/page24.html

Thanks in advance.

Edsel,
"If there is magic, let it be an art." - William Shakespeare
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I believe there is a difference in the mechanisms used.
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hi Edsel, Thomas here ( I am MagicSax) - That is just the way I personal handle the Doves to Bunny, but you can easily pull the lid in one movement like the MiniBlam as you are speaking of and the change will happen. I just do it that way. The reason I do it that way is for the safety of the rabbit. The Rabbit is on a Flat Surface (not slanted), and I just make the change this way to give the time for the rabbit to focus on where she is. Just pulling the top is fine, but if she has turned the other direction (because she has plenty of room), I don't want her to walk off the edge by accident. Just my preference is all, but can be done any way you want. If you have questions about it, just email me. My email address is on my site along with a contact form.

Thanks,
Thomas
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Edsel,

Its funny you posted about this. I just got a brand new doves to bunny (His latest design!) from Thomas last week. Absolutely beautiful. The best prop I have seen in AGES from any builder period.

The lag in the video is because there is a knob on the top you can use to affect the change. You pull the knob and the change happens inside the cage, then you can pull off the top... OR you can just pull the top off for more instant transformation.

I got a new model because my old one, I lost the top at a show. Besides which,the new ones are worlds better than his older, more plain models. The old design I got a few years back was great, but this new design is simply EXCELLENT all around.

This new one fits 3 birds easily and just looks fantastic. I got a mahogany one, just like the pictures on his website show. I'm very happy with it and trust me, I use this in every single show I do (kids shows, banquets, parlor or stage shows) Its well worth the money. Here are just SOME points worthy of mention, and remember, these are all things no other doves to bunny on the market has. (I've bought most available over the years)

1) REAL WOOD, and expensive wood too, I think he uses sanded pine but I could be wrong. Most other doves to bunnys are either plastic, which crack easily, or worse yet, PERFBOARD, which is cheap, looks cheap and is prone to chipping and breaking under a lot of travel stress. Thomas cages are hand crafted wood, again the good stuff not cheap plywood, but the much more expensive sanded pine or similar.

2) There is some amazing chrome trim pinstripe intersecting designs on the sides of the cage, just an interesting magical symbology I think...but its geometrically perfect, I'm really not sure how he gets every side so perfect, its amazing and really adds to the asthetic appeal of the cage. Everyone elses sides are just plain painted (BORING!)This are not just straight lines, but perfect rounded trim edgeing, which again, is geometrically perfect, that's how straight everything is.

3) The bars of the front cage are routed with a neat looking design, instead of plain round bars like everyone elses. This gives an "industrial" metal appearance to the bars. This is a small detail but it really makes this thing pop when people are close enough to see that. Again, a small detail but something no other cage on the market has.

4) The metal trim around the top of cage is hand polished to a beautiful mirrored finish that is just beautiful, and the hardware used is equally brilliant, giving a nice industrial look. The trim is perfectly cut, sanded, almost rounded edges and again, geometrically perfect, all the joints are perfectly flush and I know myself how hard that is to accomplish this in any prop.

5) There is double lines of chrome "pinstriping" around the bottom part of the cage, breaking up the "load chamber" part for the birds. This REALLY fools the eye and makes the bottom appear ridiculously thin, much like a good base design, it fools your eyes quite nicely. This adds to the "impossible" factor very much. Looks just fabulous both before and after the transformation takes place. People will have NO IDEA where the birds go, unlike other inferior versions on the market, where the bottom part looks HUGE and totally gives away the methods. Thomas took a lot of time with this design to make it as deceptive as possible.

6) There is chrome pinstriping even on the BACK of the cage. This speaks volumes for Thomas work, even a part no one sees is beautifully detailed with chrome pinstriping.

7) The hinges used on the top of the cage (for the door to load the birds) are chrome and antique looking at the same time. I know these are very expensive hinges (I used similar ones for something I built) again, a small detail but unlike the perfboard crap versions other people sell with CHEAP hardware, Thomas used BIG beautiful chrome hinges, which adds to the asthetic appeal of the cage.
I'm sure this dosn't help his profit margins very much, but he really does care about the look of his work.

8) Inside the cage uses many coats of the blackest black paint, for THE most deceptive doves to bunny cage I have ever seen. Even from just a foot away, its totally deceptive,beautiful black art in full effect! Other cheapo versions use bad black paint or paint that doesn't match right with other parts ALL around the inside of the cage and TRAP to save money, and it dosn't look nearly as deceptive because of this. The inside of the magicsax cage is a thing of beauty with Thomas method, it is BLACK inside dude, REAL black, and everything matches perfectly both before and after the transformation. This may seem like a little thing, but the floors not matching right in other models I have owned always bothered me.

9) The trap door is spring loaded, unlike cheaper made cages which use just gravity, Thomas cages trap door is spring loaded for the FASTEST transformation
possible. The trap appears to drop INSTANTLY. Again, no one will see this happen it happens SO fast. I have a couple of other versions of this illusion made by other poeple or companies, NONE work this well as Thomas version as far as the trap or "transformation" speed.

10) The perch is perfectly level and balanced so that the birds do not lean or are uncomfortable in any way. The trap and perch are easier to set than any other doves to bunny cage I have owned. The perch is also anchored in the middle and the sides, so the perch is not wobbly, as some other models I have owned. The birds are perfectly level and comfortable since the perch is rock solid, much more solid than other models I have owned. This may seem like a little detail but if the birds are not comfortable, they MOVE around on the perch, meaning you have to stop to set the birds before the trick, or correct their turning around.

11) There is a nice transformation control "knob" on the top, so you can just drop the trap and allow the tranformation to take place without collapsing the entire cage. (This also makes setting the trap really easy.) You also have the option of pulling the whole top off for a more instant transformation and appearance of the rabbit.

12)The side panels have the corners sort of rounded or "cut" at the bottom. This is just a nice little detail, makes the cage look sort of space age, instead of a plain sort of box shape, this detail sort of pleases the eyes when viewing the cages from the sides, it breaks up the BOXINESS and makes it look sculpted instead of boxy.

13) Next to the dove access door on the top is what appears to be a second access panel. Not sure, but this "fake" I think is there to help fool the eye. This panel makes the cage appear much less deep than it actually is. Another small detail to fool the eye, but all the details he poured into this thing really add up after awhile to strengthen the deceptive nature of the whole cage.

14) The top "doors" have a second thin panel added to the top of each "door" its slightly smaller than the bottom thicker door panel, another minor detail which makes the "doors" look like doors, that is slighly raised (1/8 inch I think)from the top of the cage. Not sure why he added it, but it does look nicer with these little added panels than it would without them.

15)This cage is perfectly sized for off the shelf padded flight cases. A padded case I had already fit the cage assembled perfectly and snugly. I don't want my beautiful cage damaged during traveling, that's for sure.

16) The chamber for the birds is roomy enough for their comfort, its a bit bigger than many other cages,(YET LOOKS THINNER FROM THE OUTSIDE!) this of course means more comfort for your birds after the trick happens. Thomas really deceptive design makes this possible without compromising the deceptiveness of this hidden chamber.

Anyhow, as you can tell, I absolutely LOVE my magicsax doves to bunny, Just to clarify, I was totally satisfied and happy with my "old model" but I'm so glad I decided to go ahead and get this new model, its just elegantly made ALL AROUND. Looks worlds better, works better, its a tremendous upgrade. I could not be happier with it, its just fantastic, and the price was ridiculous considering all the beautiful detailing and design features it includes. Again, I'm not trashing his old model, just saying how far he's come, this new one is just a huge upgrade from his old design.

I highly reccomend all of Thomas products, MOST ESPECIALLY his doves to bunny cages. His holders and harnesses are also a great value and I use all his holders and harnesses exclusively in my dove act.

Thomas has great customer service too, so long as he can tear himself away from all those babies his wife keeps popping out every few months. Your support buying his products helps feed that quickly growing tribe of his, so please do buy something, his little savages are getting restless from what I hear in the background while calling him up for dove gear sometimes.

:)

Steven

Steven
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hi Steven! Thanks for chiming in, and THANK YOU for such a nice review. That was very kind of you to do such a thing.

I can respond to some of what you wrote with the reason's why things are the way they are on the Doves to BUnny to help clarify and there is no mystery. I'll number them they way you have numbered them and that way its easy to follow along. *smile* To start though, most of the small details do add up to be a main detail. Every little thing soon becomes a whole when you look at the complete apparatus. Any small detail left out, and the apparatus is just "another Doves To Bunny".

1.) Real Wood - Yes, its completely wood. Not Perfboard in any way.
Reason - Durability. Wood can take a beating, and as most of us, we can beat the heck out of our props jumping show to show, and travelling place to place with different props and bumping into things constantly because we may in a rush, or have someone helping us that assumes that things are indestructible. So, in turn, I tried to make them as indestructible as possible. They are not made of sanded pine ply though, but yet a stronger wood (which I won't say *smile* - I gotta keep some secrets to myself). Another reason I went with wood is because it can hold up stronger with the falling of the walls. I noticed throughout my years of Dove magic that many were made using rivets. I had one of those long ago. My problem came when I was outdoors doing a show and it rained. The doves to bunny I had absorbed water because it was made of perfboard (as you call it). It swole up and warped, and where the rivets were just ripped out. So, now I was out several hundred dollars and a prop that was useless to me anymore. My Doves to Bunnies use screws. Screws in the base, and screws in the walls. No more ripping out.
I will admit that my Doves to Bunny is heavier than your average. Not heavy as impossible to transport, just heavier than plastic because afterall, it is made of wood.

2. I must give credit where credit is do in this case. The pin striping I started doing a while back on the sides and back. Gave the apparatus a more 'classy' look. The "X" factor however came from Kyle Ravin (a member here on the Café). He ordered a specialty one, and requested the 'X' on the side to help give a more distinguished look and for other reasons, that he can explain if he read this. But that idea was his and he gets full credit for that. *smile*

3.) The bars on the front - That is my little secret *smile*. I will say though, that they all don't have that unless requested. There are a few out there with those particular bars, but that is one way I can distinguish my own work (along with other 'secret' things on the Doves To Bunny that only I would be able to spot if I saw it. I guess you can call it a 'makers mark'

4.) Polished Aluminum - yes, hand polished and very tedious, but VERY worth it in the end. Adds a little class to the prop.

6.)The back decorated. Yes, I like to complete my work. Ya never know who is going to see things from another angle. Backstage, etc...A project should be completed in every sense. You just never know.

8.) The black interior - helps the doves stand out more, and the transformation look even better. Different paints and experiments led me to what I use now for making the interior. And yes, the whole interior looks the same before and after the effect is completed. more deceptive that way. Small detail, but makes a difference.

9.) Spring loaded - Some people may be nervous about a fast transformation due to the safety of the bird, and I totally understand that and that was the main thing I took into consideration while deciding on doing it that way, BUT where the perch is positioned and the wall is, the birds are already in position with no threat of getting a headache if you know what I mean. The transformation happens after they are already ready - understand? I tried MANY different heights and positioning with a completely open bottom to watch what happens, when it happens. What I mean is, I built a D2B with no bottom (plexi - see through), then set up a video camera underneath, and played with the heights of the perch. After doing it several times, I took the video and played it in slow motion to see where the perch landed and when the 'piece' came down. I discovered where to place the perch to avoid any harm. Sounds crazy, but dealing with a living creature isn't too crazy is it and its not too much trouble to go through for that reason alone.

12.) Side panels - Yes, 2 purposes here. 1st purpose is to keep away from the typical box look. 2nd purpose, and main purpose is that if they were straight on the sides, the walls would not fall completely underneath. The side walls would catch the front walls, and would stick out like a flat pancake. *haha* All the walls need to fall completely down to cover. Out of sight, out of mind....

13.) You hit the nail on the head there.

14.) That extra layer is actually not an extra layer. I routered both doors to break up the boxy look. More design and detail to a piece keeps it from looking like a typical box. I like to make things that look furniture-like. So people don't go "Oh, what does that do, it looks like a magic box". I like people just to think that its a place where the doves go and that's it. Once something happens, its even more surprising.
Many people have many different taste and that is a good thing. Variety is great. not everyone will like my builds, and that I can appreciate and respect. Some people like the Symbols, and the crazy colors, etc, and some people don't. Its all a matter of what will fit your needs and what will work best for you, and that is what I try to accomplish with my things.

Anyhow, I hope that clarifies some things. Thanks again, Steven, for even saying something. That was very nice of you.

Alpha
-Thomas

Posted: Sep 14, 2008 9:08pm
Oh, and on the Baby thing....I don't have to go into detail on that, but I can say that 3 babies in 18 months ain't no joke! no sleep! *haha* For those trying to add up the math on that, we had twins a few months back, and yes, they are identical...I see a good future in magic for them! *smile*
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Yo Thomas! Your great skills and the way you treat your clients has earned you a great reputation. I'm really happy to see a friend doing well.

Thanks for crediting me on the the X design on the doves to bunny. For the sake of others that don't know how it came about, allow me to explain. I got Thomas to build me a custom sized Doves to bunny, with a load space for a cat. It fits about 4 doves and the load space is just right. (i've not been using a cat as I felt it looked morally wrong). Thomas and I tackled some issues on the size of the box, having to be able to hold a cat, the box had to be a little big. The sides of the box were bare and the plain black showed very well, the size of the box. I then suggested to add an X in a square to make the walls of the box look smaller. Thomas did it perfect! The box looked much smaller from the sides.

another problem I wanted to tackle was the size of the base. I felt the plain black base of the Doves to Bunny looked too big and got thomas to add two aluminum trims to the base, breaking the black and making the base look smaller. Cheers to thomas on that.

I've got one reget though, that I diddnt get it done a little later. I wish the flap could be spring activated and not with gravity ( as mine is an older model) but still, the prop works just like Thomas's charm.

Whatever I'm saying here is my sincere opinions on the prop and I am honest about what I state. If you've read previous threads, I have mentioned Thomas's work and I will continue to recommend his services to anyone in need of a good quality prop.

Good Job bro!
Andrew H.
View Profile
Regular user
Elizabethton,TN
124 Posts

Profile of Andrew H.
Thomas,

Do you have a web site. Chalet doesn't make doves to rabbit anymore and I am looking into buying one.

Andrew
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5002 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Andrew, his web site is

http://www.MagicSax.com

I can vouch for his quality and customer service as well.
Where the magic begins
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Thanks, Kyle, Thanks Dave!

Andrew, Dave is correct, that is my site *smile* If you have any questions about anything, just contact me. I'll tell you everything you need to know.

Thanks guys!
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Glad to see this topic getting some interest.

I also forgot to mention, but Thomas built some MUCH larger illusions for us, all custom and he did a fantastic job. Before getting him to build these large illusions, I NEVER hired a builder because I'm very particular, I build most things myself. After seeing his work with the smaller stuff, I was sure the large illusions would be great, so we went ahead and hired him for a couple of large projects.

He sent pics as the builds progressed, communicated with us a lot about the design and specifics. We got the illusions delivered VERY quickly and I was so glad I had him build them instead of doing them myself. The price was fantastic, the customer service was remarkable and the finished products look absolutely professional in every respect. I've gotten MANY compliments from those pieces from other performers locally.

Anyhow, just wanted to mention that if you need ANYTHING built, not just the stuff you see on his site, give him a call, he can probably handle it.

Hopefully, he'll be building us a few more large illusions in the coming months.
Lately, I've been performing more and building less, and Thomas will be the first person I call with every project that I imagine (and I can imagine alot!).

I wish I could lock him up in my basement for a few months... Smile

Steven
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This is exactly why I use three of the old Chalet Doves to Rabbit props in my shows. (I don't produce but one rabbit. Lucy and I have a routine we call "I've got this friend". Separate doves vanish and become colored silks. The silks are joined and the doves reappear together in an empty cage! This routine takes two more Doves to Rabbit props.)

The Chalet models allow you to produce the rabbit and vanish the doves BEFORE the top is lifted and the sides drop. The audience only sees the sides fall to produce the rabbit. The doves are long gone. There is no exposure problem even on video!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
I LOVE THE MINY-BLAMM!!!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I agree, mini blamm rocks!

Steven
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24089 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I agree with you guys on Mini Blamm.
magiquemaker
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of magiquemaker
This guys props look really impressive, especially for the price. I'm going to see haywire perform this week in Philadelphia at his halloween show and I hope he lets me take a closer look at these props after the show.

If I like what I see I plan on buying a few of these. Looking forward to seeing Haywire's dove act and whatever else he has planned. Haywire, I saw you rock the heck out of that big theatre ibm fundraiser last year in PA. Good stuff. The rest of the show kind of put me to sleep but your dove act really woke me up. Looking forward to seeing a whole show of you performing. I'll introduce myself at your show if you don't mind. I'd really appreciate it if you let me look at your doves to bunny and other props built by magicsax.

John
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2008-09-12 21:51, Edsel Chiu wrote:
In the demo video regarding the doves to bunny, I notice there is a lag time between the "change" and when he opens the lid of the cage. But from what I have seen of other magicians performing this effect, they lift and it changes, it is all one movement. I wonder if that is possible for this.

Here is the demo video of doves to bunny,
http://www.magicsax.com/store/page11/page11.html

and here is what I mean by one movement (It is a different product, but I am referring to the "change"),
http://www.magicsax.com/store/page24/page24.html

Thanks in advance.

Edsel,

I must say I had the Daytona magic Doves to Rabbit, and the quality and price on the one you have mentioned beats it by a long shot!

Chaz
ARNOMAGIE
View Profile
Regular user
France
200 Posts

Profile of ARNOMAGIE
Anyone know who builds this doves to bunny (duck actually...) ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkE0RRdeqt8
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
Wow, I am so glad you guys have pointed me to that site. I build furniture as a hobby, and even though I don't own any of these products (yet) they look absolutely fantastic. Not only does the quality look great, but those prices are amazing as well.

I will definitely be ordering something soon (once I get my dove trained).
Amyxdove
View Profile
Regular user
Andy Amyx
143 Posts

Profile of Amyxdove
I am going to give my 2 cents here. I think Magic Sax Doves to Rabbit looks pretty good. BUT, he really needs to make a tapered base!!!! He should also use spring buttons so that the sides always fall. Also, needs a new demo using the Doves to Rabbit, NOT the mini.
Andy Amyx

www.andyamyx.com
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
I believe on his site there is a demo for the Doves to Rabbit and a different one for the mini. Most people I've spoke with on here that have purchased products from him all say that he is very good at making custom versions of just about anything.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Doves to bunny (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.36 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL