The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Doves to bunny (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Amyxdove
View Profile
Regular user
Andy Amyx
143 Posts

Profile of Amyxdove
Nope! Same cage for both demos.
Andy Amyx

www.andyamyx.com
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Andy,
I think the base of the new model is very deceptive even though it's not tapered. It's thin enough that I don't think it matters at all. Also, in the newer model, he does use a spring-loaded trap, and the sides seem to fall faster because of that. Not sure if he was using the springs in that demo yet, may be older.

On the tapered base...
This doves to bunny by Powell uses a tapered base, and at least for this model, which I have owned, it looks horrible, like "LOOK HERE! Here is where the doves go!" I think the Chalet looks as bad, but maybe that's just my opinion.

http://themagicwarehouse.com/tdove1.html

Scroll down. They don't show you the thing dead on in the picture for a reason; looks bad, really bad, because it sticks out from the main cage. I think it just draws attention to it.

The pin-striping Thomas uses breaks up the lines and makes it look much thinner than it actually is. Also, if you put it on a stand it looks great, I think; that's what I did, just a flange and pipe.

Next time I have a chance, I'll send Thomas a video of the bigger model I got from him for demo. I think Thomas uses the mini in his own shows, which would explain the demos I suppose.

Steven
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hello again. First, thanks, Andy, for the comment on the looks; appreciated. However, we all have our own opinions, and that is fine.

BUT, you are wrong on the demos. The mini Blam Demo and the Doves to Bunny demo are two different things. Just because they are both Mahogany doesn't mean they are the same thing. Doves DO NOT fit in the front area of a MiniBlam! They are NOT the same demo. The Doves to Bunny on the doves to Bunny page is the "Low Rider" Doves to Bunny. So, unfortunately, you are wrong. As a matter of fact, if you scroll down on the Doves to Bunny page, instead of getting stuck at the top and jumping on something, there is actual video of a Magician performing with one of my Doves to Bunnies on National TV in Estonia.

Another point is this, the walls DO fall to the side. And they are not called spring buttons, they are called BULLET CATCHES. And, yes, they are on all four sides of the wall structure to push the walls out. Wow, so critical of something that you don't even own or have. Surprising, coming from a gentleman in your position in the magic community.

I will take fault in that the videos are older videos, yes, and need to be updated. Time is a factor in my case due to several things, but Family foremost. But for anyone looking at the site, I think they know what a doves to Bunny does, and I am sure they would email me about any questions they would have like basically ALL my clients have done. They don't spit out stuff they have no idea about without asking first, or at least seeing the product first-hand.

Amazing, just amazing, Andy. I thought you were on a higher level than that. I've always respected your work, too. But, hey, no hard feelings, man. You have your opinions, but just make sure you get the facts right first.

-Thomas Clark
http://www.MagicSax.com
magiquemaker
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of magiquemaker
I saw Steven "HAYWIRE" Cambian perform his dove act and his show several times now. I know he uses the MagicSax stuff a lot. The doves to bunny was very quick as far as the change. The sides fell very fast, too, and he got huge audience applause; at least at the shows I was at so far, and I've seen his show 4 or 5 times so far, I guess. He got similar great reactions with his silks to rabbit trick, which I'm pretty sure was the rabbit bag from MagicSax. I was in the second row at one of his shows, and saw the props pretty close because it was a low, small stage. They looked great from where I was sitting in the audience.
The other props I recognized from MagicSax that he used all looked equally great, much nicer looking than what most magic dealers sell. After the one show, I did introduce myself and asked about the props in his dove act and got to see some of them up close. I was very impressed with the quality. One illusion he does I thought was great was his doves to dog, where the doves turned into a big fluffy white poodle. The audience really flipped their lid at that. That, too, he said was built by MagicSax, custom for his show, and that thing was just beautiful. He got good or great applause with them all at every show I've seen.
I guess what I am saying is if they look great and get great applause, isn't that enough? Sure, anything can be improved I guess, but sometimes people just nit pick for no reason. Seeing the applause they got live, plus the quality with which they were made, was enough for me. Myself, I'll be buying something from MagicSax soon, and I don't care about the beveled base at all. It's not necessary if the cage is built right. I think the thing being all flat and one piece looking just looks better.

John
Amyxdove
View Profile
Regular user
Andy Amyx
143 Posts

Profile of Amyxdove
Sorry, Sax. You are right, they are different. BUT the dove to rabbit looks so small. And you can't tell me that they look so much alike in the demos. The base on the doves to rabbit is huge! Sorry. (Think about tapering it.) Also, the photos of the different style designs look much nicer than the demo. They do really look beautiful! You really should do a new demo yourself, showing off your new designs. Better lighting, too.
And I did not know they were called bullet catches. I have a package at home, and they are called button springs. And I am too honest for most, my friend. And when you have a demo video that reflects your products and makes me think you did not use bullet catches (on the mini, it does not look like you did, I chimed in) and the old doves to rabbit demo looks too much like the mini, I jumped to conclusions.
Also, I really wish you would give credit to the things you should. And when you have a young magician thinking you are possibly the creator of an effect, IE rabbit bag, I was in the mood to speak up. Please help to educate the younger magicians. You & I know there is nothing “NEW” in magic. That’s all, man. I hope all is well.
Andy Amyx

www.andyamyx.com
Amyxdove
View Profile
Regular user
Andy Amyx
143 Posts

Profile of Amyxdove
Yeah, I love the base on the Powell, BUT the rest is a joke. And he wants way too much for it. I just miss the Chalet. I have one with the tapered base, and I feel it looks way more deceptive. I have a Bill Smith one, too. Killer Deceptive!! Magic Sax is making a beautiful box. The photos are great. I know he can take that next step and make a tapered base.

Quote:
On 2009-03-17 05:46, haywire wrote:
Andy,
I think the base of the new model is very deceptive even though it's not tapered. It's thin enough that I don't think it matters at all. Also, in the newer model, he does use a spring-loaded trap, and the sides seem to fall faster because of that. Not sure if he was using the springs in that demo yet, may be older.

On the tapered base...
This doves to bunny by Powell uses a tapered base, and at least for this model, which I have owned, it looks horrible, like "LOOK HERE! Here is where the doves go!" I think the Chalet looks as bad, but maybe that's just my opinion.

http://themagicwarehouse.com/tdove1.html

Scroll down. They don't show you the thing dead on in the picture for a reason; looks bad, really bad, because it sticks out from the main cage. I think it just draws attention to it.

The pin-striping Thomas uses breaks up the lines and makes it look much thinner than it actually is. Also, if you put it on a stand it looks great, I think; that's what I did, just a flange and pipe.

Next time I have a chance, I'll send Thomas a video of the bigger model I got from him for demo. I think Thomas uses the mini in his own shows, which would explain the demos I suppose.

Steven
Andy Amyx

www.andyamyx.com
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hi, Andy, no harsh feelings, as I said. You are right, I do need to do another demo - there is no mistake about that *haha*, and the angle of the shot I used does make the base look gaudy, but it really isn't. I will probably change that this evening with real show footage so that can be seen instead of standing in front of a backdrop. Then, the real effect can be seen first hand.

On the rabbit bag, I never said I was the 'creator'; however, are there any other one handed releases of Rabbit Bags on the market? If there are, then you are totally right in that respect, as I should give credit. My description does not say I am the creator of the Rabbit Bag. As a matter of fact, it says "This Rabbit Bag is not like any other Rabbit Bag on the market....." - I think that means there are others out there, right? So, I never claimed to be the creator. I just claimed to have a gimmick in place that is not like any others - that is what I claimed. As of now, there is not another like mine, but in time, I am sure there will be just like anything else.

You are right in respect that the younger magicians coming up need to know their history and that everything comes full circle. I think we have all learned valuable lessons in that department - I know I have in a major way and took my spanking that I so deserved at the time. However, we also need to teach the younger magicians that just because someone has been before us, doesn't mean that there is no room for improvement and adjustment. How else can the art strive to become better? If everyone is doing the same thing with the same stuff, we are all the same. Then, we become the 'typical magician'.

Anyhow, thanks for your post, and maybe I read into your first one on the defensive instead of just reading it. All is well...

-Thomas
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2008-10-13 10:15, Bob Sanders wrote:
This is exactly why I use three of the old Chalet Doves to Rabbit props in my shows.
Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Bob, you lucky son-of-a-gun! I would love to have just one Chalet Doves To Rabbit. Well, if I ever get any doves that is! Smile

Regan
Mister Mystery
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
In many ways, the Dove to Rabbit/Cat/Dog is even stronger than the Vanishing Cage. I don't use my Dove to Rabbit very often (because most of my shows are smaller), but when I do it is always my closing effect, and it never fails to deliver the impact I want. As has been noted in this post, there are many models on the market; some of which are very good and deceptive, and some of which are not. I may be checking out Magic Sax for one of his, as they seem to be much more portable than the version I own.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
I just went to MagicSax site and his online store is CLOSED! So those who have his boxes are lucky.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Itsmagic, here's a link to the situation with Thomas at Magicsax. Perhaps you haven't seen it.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=13&6
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Doves to bunny (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL