We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Banner container? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
I've been trying to implement Don Driver's suggestion about using PVC pipe to store and protect a banner, but have a problem.

I found a 3-foot piece of 4" PVC pipe for about $8, which is fine. But by the time I add on the price of a cap for the bottom ($7), and an adapter ($5) and a screw lid ($5) for the top, I'm up to $25!

I also tried to find a corrugated 4" mailing tube, which would be lighter and cheaper, but the widest available one seems to be 3".

Any leads or suggestions would be appreciated! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
$25 for pvc pipe and end caps is WAY out of line.I buy caps at Lowe's for like .25 each and pipe for maybe $2.00.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Don, that's true for the 3/4" stuff. But when I looked at the 4" pieces, the prices were much higher, the cap especially, even at Home Depot.

Just has a thought -- maybe I was looking at the "pressure" PVC instead of the drainage stuff, which would be cheaper since it doesn't have to withstand any water pressure. I'll go back and look again. SETH
ElectricBlue
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ElectricBlue
Just a thought, is there any reason you can't use the 3/4? I suppose it would depend on the size of your banner.
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
344 Posts

Profile of The Cardfather
I should be receiving my banners Monday. I picked up a heavy duty cardboard tube from a carpet supplier to store them. It's the tube rolls of carpet are wrapped around. No charge. They just throw them out anyways. Is there really a need for caps?
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Now that's a great idea.I guess you really don't need a cap but I did it with the PVC pipe.( I have been known to over kill most things I do )

I would tape cardboard on one end.

Thanks for that tip Cardfather.

Later,Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
The cardboard carpet tube is a GREAT idea, thanks for the tip. If I can get one, I will also cover it with some sticky plastic laminate sheets (8-1/2" x 11") to help protect it against dew or water damage. I would also put something over at least one end, so there is a "bottom" to the container.

As for the right diameter for a storage tube, my banners came packed in a 4" square box, so I went looking for a 4" diameter tube; I didn't want to roll the banners too tightly. It might be possible to use a 3" tube, but anything smaller than that would really be pushing it, in my opinion, for a 6' or an 8' banner.

Incidentally, to help roll the banner smoothly and prevent any damage while being rolled or getting squashed while rolled, I did put a 3-foot piece of 3/4" PVC in the center of the roll. Costs about 75 cents, and it seemed like cheap insurance to me. SETH
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Well, I finally solved the PVC mystery, courtesy of Lowe's and Don Driver's tip.

I had been looking at regular PVC pipe for a banner container, and when you get up into the 4" diameter size, it gets pretty pricey. BUT -- there is a thinner series of PVC pipe that's designed for drainage and landscaping (French drains) which is about 40% cheaper. You can get the same caps and screw tops for it, but they are a lot less money. I'm sure this was the stuff that Don was referring too, and for a banner container, it would probably be just fine. Home Depot didn't carry this stuff (or else I didn't see it there.)

Interestingly, after I compared the two, I ended up going with the thicker stuff, because over the long haul, it was only about a $15 difference, and I felt the thicker PVC would probably hold up to scrapes and bumps a little better. It also seemed much more crush-resistant, which was the whole point here. Also, Lowe's carried the 4" pipe in a 5-foot section, which I was able to saw into two pieces (a 3' and a 2' piece), so I got both banner containers out of one piece of pipe. That cut the cost by about $10 right there. Home Depot only carried 2-foot or 10-foot sections. Lowe's was about 15% cheaper on the fittings, too.

In the end, I got two banner containers for about $36; so I'm spending about $18 to protect a $100 banner, not too unreasonable. SETH
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Banner container? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL