We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Magic for Dummies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Phil Pearce
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas, GA
258 Posts

Profile of Phil Pearce
Although marketed as a book for beginning magicians, this book really has some wonderful effects in it. No wonder, when you look at the Advisory Pantheon (Ammar, Burger, Burton, Caveny, Cornelius, Daryl, McBride, Marshall, Mullica, and a bunch more) who contributed tricks, ideas, and advice. This book in my opinion belongs in the "classics" category.
I know, I know, it's marketed for the masses. But a knowledge of what it contains in the way of overall magic skills, techniques, and philosophy is really quite impressive.
What are your 2 or 3 favorite tricks in this book? I like Daryl's "Dream a Card, Any Card", and "Ring Off Rope".
Phil
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1505 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Don't let the title fool you. There's a ton of practical stuff here!

Pencil & Quarter Double Vanish
Antigravity Ring
Missing Spray Paint Marble
Creepy Little Baby Hand
Sugar Substitute (Wagners Charisma Change)
Beans Through Orifices (Hohn Ramsay did this all the time)
Bouncing the Roll
Ashes Through Palm
Static Electricity Test
The Shuffling Lesson (Chad Long Rocks!)
The Future Deck
$100 Life Saver Trick
Ninja Key Catch
Dream a Card, Any Card (Daryl's Untouched)
The Telephone Trick
Phanton Photo
Can't Do As I Do (Copperfield did this on a special)
Late-Night Party Murder Mystery
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
It is a really good book. Can't believe they put Untouched and Shuffling Lesson in there (I use those all the time) but oh well, it's a fun book.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
An inside story is that the book was written by David Pogue, who's primarily a computer journalist. He's written extensively about Macintoshes, and currently writes the "Circuits" column for the New York Times.

He's also a pretty mean magician, as well...at least, that's what he tells me.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
yoey2000
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of yoey2000
I did buy this book a while ago and almost stuffed it in the trash. Maybe I quickly judged it by some of the "lamer" tricks it has.

I'll take a second look.
john blaze
View Profile
New user
PA
82 Posts

Profile of john blaze
$10 gets you a copy from me. Only one!
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
I don't own this book yet, but just browsing through it looks like a really great book. A lot of my friends say it is a REALLY awesome book with tons of powerful and practical magic.

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
ThorstenHappel
View Profile
Loyal user
Düsseldorf / New York, NY
203 Posts

Profile of ThorstenHappel
"Magic for Dummies" is the kind of book you wish to have read when you started in magic. Amazing effects, good advice, and fun to read. Highly recommended, not only for beginners.
Thorsten
-----------------------------------------

"If this be magic, let it be an art ..."
-- William Shakespeare, The Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3
manipulator
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, Texas
319 Posts

Profile of manipulator
Great book! Very fun to read. I found this book in a public library when I was a beginner. Tons of great effects. Smile
wert
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of wert
Excellent book, terrible title.
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Au contraire, mon frère; the "Dummies" line of books from IDG have sold millions of copies, as has the "Idiots" line of books.

The entire point of the line is that the books contain information that any fool can use to better themselves at any given topic, like magic. The inside story is that they contain great information that benefits people far beyond the beginner's stage.
Cheers,
Steve

wert
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of wert
Regardless of sales figures, there are many who feel a bit self-conscious about buying books with titles like "Magic for Dummies, Magic for Idiots, Magic for Nitwits, etc..."

I would like to think the book could have sold well (on its own merits) without the insulting title.

Didn't Wilson's and Lorayne's "beginners" books sell well without having inane titles?
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Wert:
You're right, they did. But the "Dummies" line started out focused on computers, and were specifically aimed at people who felt so intimated by computers that they thought of themselves as dummies.

The purpose of the books was, pointedly, to say, "it's okay...we'll work through this together." They were simply written (something user manuals have yet to learn), and contained specific pointers to help make the computing experience easier.

The books took off, and established a great brand. The other books have traded on that brand and done quite well. The titles, either "Dummies" or "Idiots," are not meant to demean or insult. The entire style of the book is designed to encourage having fun while learning.

(Although I do agree, "The Idiot's Guide to Catholicism" gave me pause when I saw it in the bookstore.)
Cheers,
Steve

scottlurowist
View Profile
New user
Wappingers Falls, NY
52 Posts

Profile of scottlurowist
I agree Steve. I am a software engineer for IBM, and I have used Dummy books many times. Straight to the point, and they don't read like a doctoral thesis.

I'll have to check out the Magic for Dummies book.
magicman222
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of magicman222
Horrible book. I hated it. I liked their advice though, but the tricks were horrible.
wert
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of wert
Quote:
On 2003-04-26 23:57, magicman222 wrote:
Horrible book. I hated it. I liked their advice though, but the tricks were horrible.
I would hesitate to call Daryls Untouched or Chad Longs Shuffling Lesson 'horrible'.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2003-04-11 22:27, john blaze wrote:
$10 gets you a copy from me. Only one!

John,

Do you still have this book for sale? How much for S&H? What kind of shape is the book in?

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
Quote:
On 2003-04-26 23:57, magicman222 wrote:

I cannot even imagine how somebody could dislike this book. There is more good stuff in this book than some of the books that we buy from dealers in the present.

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
Is it on sale to the general public? That would be a shame...

Smile
Welshwizard
View Profile
Loyal user
Wales
292 Posts

Profile of Welshwizard
Yes it is but I'd rather a decent book like this be available to entice people to our art rather than kid's magic sets.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Magic for Dummies (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL